Dish VIP211k and Choice Select IR Extender Kit?

hman920

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I installed the Skywalker brand "Choice Select" IR extender (CHO1020 IR Distribution, CHO1030 IR Target, CHO1024 Single IR Emitter) to control a DISH VIP211k.

The setup works but the response is VERY sluggish. For example I have to press "GUIDE" on the 20.0 IR remote for 2+ seconds before I see the guide come up on the TV.

To test the install I put the emitter in front of a DISH DTVPal (which uses the same type of IR remote) and it works perfectly fine. The remote IR target works just as well as if I was standing right in front of the DTVPal.

I called Skywalker for some tech support and the rep said it may be that the IR emitter is too strong for the VIP211k and told me to try putting electrical tape over the emitter and cut a small slit in the tape as to only let a little IR out of the emitter.

I also read in another forum that the VIP211k uses "dual-frequency" IR and is not fully compatible with IR extenders.

If the setup works perfectly fine with a DTVPal, why does it not work with a VIP211k?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Hman

I installed the Skywalker brand "Choice Select" IR extender (CHO1020 IR Distribution, CHO1030 IR Target, CHO1024 Single IR Emitter) to control a DISH VIP211k.

The setup works but the response is VERY sluggish. For example I have to press "GUIDE" on the 20.0 IR remote for 2+ seconds before I see the guide come up on the TV.

To test the install I put the emitter in front of a DISH DTVPal (which uses the same type of IR remote) and it works perfectly fine. The remote IR target works just as well as if I was standing right in front of the DTVPal.

I called Skywalker for some tech support and the rep said it may be that the IR emitter is too strong for the VIP211k and told me to try putting electrical tape over the emitter and cut a small slit in the tape as to only let a little IR out of the emitter.

I also read in another forum that the VIP211k uses "dual-frequency" IR and is not fully compatible with IR extenders.

If the setup works perfectly fine with a DTVPal, why does it not work with a VIP211k?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Hman

I don't know anything about the kit you used but I have used this kit successfully, Amazon product ASIN B000C1Z0HA

Or look for a ir to uhf pro conversion kit on ebay. ( I don't think dish sells them anymore)

Good luck. I was unable to find one anywhere when I tried doing a mirror for a customer. Dish no longer makes them and I couldn't find any online dealers that had any left. That's why I had to use the one I posted above.

I doubt the IR signal is too strong. I remember reading that the DISH IR remote was designed to emit a very strong signal so that it didn't have to be aimed directly at the receiver.

My TERK LF-IRX relay/extender from Besy Buy works great, but had to re-solder plug on power supply straight out of box.

I have tried to obtain a DISH IR to UHF extender, but so far I have been unable to find one.

I have also tried the Next Generation remote extender kit and discovered the battery only lasts about 1 month!

One month for a remote battery is kind of ridiculous!

Every time the remote would stop working I would have to stop by my elderly parents house to change the Next Generation battery because they did not understand how to do it or would forget how to do it.

One time I could not stop by because I was on the road for work. My father tried changing the batteries himself in an attempt to get the Next Generation setup working again and ended up throwing the Next Generation transmitter/battery in the garbage.

By the time I got back from my business trip it was too late, Next Generation transmitter/battery long gone in the landfill.

So I though by going with a "hard wire" IR extender solution would be a slam dunk. Just can't win...

Hman

My NexGen batteries/transmitter last way longer than one month.

I have tried to obtain a DISH IR to UHF extender, but so far I have been unable to find one.

I have also tried the Next Generation remote extender kit and discovered the battery only lasts about 1 month!

One month for a remote battery is kind of ridiculous!

Every time the remote would stop working I would have to stop by my elderly parents house to change the Next Generation battery because they did not understand how to do it or would forget how to do it.

One time I could not stop by because I was on the road for work. My father tried changing the batteries himself in an attempt to get the Next Generation setup working again and ended up throwing the Next Generation transmitter/battery in the garbage.

By the time I got back from my business trip it was too late, Next Generation transmitter/battery long gone in the landfill.

So I though by going with a "hard wire" IR extender solution would be a slam dunk. Just can't win...

Hman
Remember that battery is a rechargeable so at full charge it is about 1.2 volts not 1.5 of a AA or AAA alkaline. It is about 2/3 the size of a AAA battery so the charge is less. The more frequently it is used the shorter the battery life will be that is why it comes with 2 batteries. Mine lasts about 3 mo. but I use it less than once a day on average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts