Dish VIP622 buggy? Major problems here!

ChavezRavine

Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone else having 622 issues?

I've only been a Dish customer since Monday 2/27 and I've had a working system probably about 20% of that time.

Setup:
Brand new Philips Plasma 42PF9630A
Dish 1000
VIP622 connected via HDMI

Timeline:

1. Dish 1000 installed 2/27 w/ VIP622 receiver. Technician can't get signal because, as it turns out, he hadn't installed the dish at a level plane. Everything seems to be working fine when he *finally* leaves the house.

2. Later that night, TV screen goes completely black while I'm trying to show off the new HD programming to my wife. I run some RCA cables (all I had) from receiver to TV and the picture returns. My thinking at that point is that something is wrong w/ either the HDMI cable, HDMI input on TV, or HDMI output on receiver.

3. I try a brand new receiver on Tuesday (received via UPS for original install date -- long story). At least this gives me the opportunity to troubleshoot the receiver. Yes! My picture returns via HDMI cable w/new receiver. I assume that the problem was with the old receiver, so I go ahead and have the new receiver activated via tech support. Everything functions properly for the next 20 hours.

4. Return home from work to find error message on power up. "A problem has been detected with your switch box configuration. If both tuners are being used, they must both be connected to the same satellite… faulty switch box... etc." Note that no settings of any kind have been changed since the TV was working perfectly the night before. I get on the line with tech support again. We run a couple of tests, including unscrewing the SAT 1 and SAT 2 splitter and going directly into the receiver. NO SATELLITE SIGNAL at all! They ho-hum and schedule me for a technician visit on Monday (there goes my Oscar party).

Tech support guy seems to think there's a problem with the cable running from the dish to the receiver. I'm not technical enough to understand his logic, but needless to say I’m royally bummed.

Could this be an issue of the 622's going out before they've been properly field tested? The thing works great when it works -- which so far is not very much at all.

My wife thinks I've made a HUGE mistake canceling our cable.

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhh!!!!

It does sound like there is a problem with your line going from the dish to the 622, or the switch is bad. Since it is a new install Dish should get someone out there pronto to fix the problem.

You're using RG-6 coax direct from the switch to the seperator?

What switch are you using?

you cannot use the seperator with a DP 34 or non DP+ equipement

You can only use the seperator direct from a DP+ LNB or a DP+44 switch

Try runnning 2 coaxes direct to the receiver

???

Cokeswigga said:
You're using RG-6 coax direct from the switch to the seperator?

What switch are you using?

you cannot use the seperator with a DP 34 or non DP+ equipement

You can only use the seperator direct from a DP+ LNB or a DP+44 switch

Try runnning 2 coaxes direct to the receiver

Unfortunately, most everything in your post is gibberish to me. This is why I need a technician, I suppose.

On my service agreement, the technician put "ran check switch system up and running." He also put marks under "DP Dual" and "DP Twin". The "34" and "44" are blank, but there is no indication of a "+" anywhere.

I wouldn't even know where to find the switch to check.

Your first reciever sounds like it was deffective. But your new one seems like it is working fine, but now you have a problem elsewhere.

The DISH 1000 uses a Dish Pro Plus Twin with a Dish Pro LNB connected to it as a standard configuration that is what is checked on the work order. DISH Network customers are referred to as "BETA TESTERS" because DISH does not test new products before releasing them for sale they rely on customers discovering their bugs. Go to www.dbstalk.com they have a forum for bugs on the 622 your blacking out sounds like one of the discovered problems.:)

Well, that was a bit harsh.

The ViP622 has had the best launch yet for Dish, in terms of having the fewest bugs. And the new D* receiver has had more than it's share of bugs. However much testing is done, once your product is "out in the wild" more bugs will be found. Same with software, my background. And if you keep the product in house until every known configuration is tested, and every possible bug is fixed, your product is never released. It's always a tradeoff. We're talking advanced electronics here, not pots and pans.

E* may have learned from past experience to skew that tradeoff more toward increased in house (alpha) testing. They certainly seem to have learned to consolidate their code base.

He has had it working with the seperator and he tried without the seperator still no signal so I cant see how it can be a dpp vs non-dpp issue.
Also if he only has a single receiver on dish1000 it's possible he has no switch, he wouldnt need one, if the standard d1000 was used.
Fianlly he put in 2 different receivers both having the issue, the more likely issue, IMNTO (in my non-technical opinion) based on the time/attempts it took to even set the dish up correctly, that the Dish, LNB's, connections and cables etc may need to be checked. I would think it a good idea to ask for a different installer to be scheduled or a supervisor to visit too.

Update 3/2

Now, I'm really confused.

Woke up this morning and TV1 was back! Fixed itself! Well, not entirely. The picture was back, but I was missing a bunch of channels, including all HD.

TV2 can't find the signal at all.

Any theories?

My guess is bad installer.

He didn't no how to point a dish or install it correctly. I will also assume he was lazy in terminating your cables.

And whoever said that both DP622s showed the same problem, I never read that in his post. One had a bad HDMI connection (a known bug with HDMI in all products, not just dish or 622). The second is only a signal acquisition problem that sounds install related.

boba said:
The DISH 1000 uses a Dish Pro Plus Twin with a Dish Pro LNB connected to it as a standard configuration that is what is checked on the work order. DISH Network customers are referred to as "BETA TESTERS" because DISH does not test new products before releasing them for sale they rely on customers discovering their bugs. Go to www.dbstalk.com they have a forum for bugs on the 622 your blacking out sounds like one of the discovered problems.:)
Have yet to run into a vip622 bug. It also has not missed a recording yet. Cant say that about the pos r-15 that sits below it. My first vip622 had a hardware problem (could have been installer induced since he dropped it!) and the second has been perfect.

How strong a signal did you get when you were able to receive? Where are you located? Lots of problems with the D1000. if 119 is not "peaked" you are screwed.

iKramerica said:
My guess is bad installer.

And whoever said that both DP622s showed the same problem, I never read that in his post. One had a bad HDMI connection (a known bug with HDMI in all products, not just dish or 622). The second is only a signal acquisition problem that sounds install related.
You are right, i stand corrected, but our conclusion was the same :D It's probably not the receiver more likely an install issue.

My 622 has been really solid. I had two spontaneous reboots on my first night, none since (while I was watching at least... there may be a few that have happened when I wasn't watching.....)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)