Dish ViP622

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
I have a couple questions. I have an HDTV that supports 480p and 1080i and was wondering which was best choice for best quality?
Also I have a sony receiver that only has one optical port and I use that for my DVD player and want to know if I use the RCA outputs on the new receiver to my receiver if I will still get 5.1?

Also I own 2 510 DVR's now and am replacing them with the 622 and will be selling the 510's if anyone is interrested. Looks like they go for about $160 on average on eBay. I'll take preorders - Paypal only. Shipping will be $15.

Last edited:
That stinks. So I guess I need to buy a new receiver. Well good thing they are cheap these days. I remember spending like $600 for a somewhat decent Sony receiver back 15 years ago. Now I think you can get one with what I need for under $200.
Thanks for your help.

Surround Receivers have plunged in price since 10 years ago. You can find a decent receiver for $300-500 that will get the job done for most people.

Me, I have a ton of sources, so I have to go for the big Bluto sized receivers (I still have an Integra 9.1 receiver I got in 2001 that is still doing the job for me)

What about coaxial?

Does your receiver have coaxial digital inputs as well as optical? Most do and most DVD players have both outputs. It's a single RCA jack and uses a standard RCA auido type cable (don't confuse with coaxial cable like comes to your satellite receiver) . Move your DVD to that and use the optical for the 622. As an alternative, if your DVD player does not have coaxial out, but your receiver does have the input, you could buy an optical to coaxial converter. They go for less than $50.

LGBall

Me, I have a ton of sources, so I have to go for the big Bluto sized receivers (I still have an Integra 9.1 receiver I got in 2001 that is still doing the job for me)
I agree, you can never have enough digital inputs. My Denon has 5 optical and 2 SPDIF inputs and I have a 4to1 switch on top of that.

I ran into the same situation with my receiver only having one optical input, but needing to connect 942, DVD, and PS2. I decided to try one of these and it works great for me. No loss that I can tell. It's a manual switch, but it's cheap and it works:

http://www.shoptronics.com/diauopsesw.html

(I didnt get mine here...this was just the first link that came up on Google. I got mine off ebay.)

Ok I just checked and my receiver has 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital input. So what I want to know is if there is a difference in quality of sound with either of them. I watch a lot of DVD's and I want to make sure if I use the coaxial output it will be just as good as the optical one.

Thanks
Brad

ARGH. I just checked my DVD player and there are no other surround sound outputs other than the optical so I'm back to square one.

My old generation 1 pioneer DVD player has Optical and Coaxial. So I guess I'll just move the living room DVD player to the bedroom and vice versa and then I won't have to worry about buying a new receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)