Dish VIP722K changes satellite after I set it in installation

electroken

Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Minneapolis, Minn
I have some trouble with losing dish during cloudy or rainy days and went into the installation setup menu and picked aim dish and it shows me that I am at my zip code 55414 and that I have dish 500 and that I am using turner 1 or 2 and that I am on transponder 29 satellite 129. I only have signal strength of about 50.
I change to satellite 110 or 119 as is suggested by the screen I am looking at and then find that I can get a better signal strength on either of those two satellites; I think it was transponder 16 on one them and 11 on the other. I went back to 129 and tried every transponder and could not get over 60 for any of them so I set it to 110 and transponder 11.
I went out of the setup and then went back in and found that my reciever is back on trans 29 sat 129.
What gives with that? I can get a better signal and probably not lose it with every cloudy day but it keeps returning to that same transponder and satellite each time I set it to 110 or 119.
Is there something wrong with my reciever or is that something I cannot now adjust. I did switch over to getting HD when I got this receiver (VIP722K) but I was always able to choose sat and trans before.
Since I have HD am I supposed to be on a different satellite now?

Each of the channels are broadcast from a specific transponder on a specific satellite, several channels per transponder. What you are seeing in the setup menu depends on what channel was active most recently before you went there.

If you are interested in which channels are where, you can look at "The List" on the "our other sites" menu above.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
I was not asking about what channels I was viewing. I was going into the menu and choosing setup, then installation, then aim dish ( I think that is the way to get to the screen showing the data as to which transponder and satellite you are using on each of the two tuners in the 722k.
I see it connected to sat 129 on trans 29 and see only about 50 signal strength and figure that if I had better signal strength I would not lose my signal so often in a rain storm or when it snows etc. So I change it to one of the two satellites it says I should be using, 110 or 119 and pick the transponder which gives the best signal strength.
I check done and to out of that part of the menu and go all the way back to where I am not in the menu at all, then go back in and find it back on sat 129 and trans 29, You do not seem to be addressing that part of my question.
Perhaps you are saying that if I change channel I am watching at the time, my setup will show me being on an different sat and transponder? How do I ever know if I am getting the best signal then? Am I supposed to be on some certain channel before going to setup? I never saw anything in the book to indicate that. Is there a best channel to be tuned to before going into setup then?

Perhaps you are saying that if I change channel I am watching at the time, my setup will show me being on an different sat and transponder?
Yes. Each channel comes from a specific satellite and transponder, and when you go into the point dish screen, it will select the sat/trans that the currently tuned channel is coming from.

Keep in mind most of the HD channels come from sat 129. IIRC, 50 is a decent signal level for sat 129, for it being so low in the sky.

You are actually using all three satellites (129, 119, 110), depending on what channel you are watching. The single dish "looks" at all three sats. However, because it is doing that, it's not a perfect signal on any of the three. The very best signal would be having a single dish looking at each satellite.

That being said, a 50 signal strength on 129 is pretty good. If you're having problems with signal when it's cloudy with that signal strength, I'd be checking connections first. I would also consider having Dish come back out and check the signal.

Because each channel comes from a specific satellite/transponder, the signal you get is what you get.

It's not like you can go find the strongest one and set it so all your programming comes from that one.

It's a fixed (unmovable) dish, pointed at stationary satellites. If that alignment is slightly off or objects (trees, heavy rain, snow, animals) are in the way, you'll get signal loss. If you're having loss with nothing in the way, time to check the alignment. Probably something you want a professional tech to do, they would have more precise measuring equipment.

I have some trouble with losing dish during cloudy or rainy days and went into the installation setup menu and picked aim dish and it shows me that I am at my zip code 55414 and that I have dish 500 and that I am using turner 1 or 2 and that I am on transponder 29 satellite 129. I only have signal strength of about 50.
Before playing with this screen go to "check switch" and double check which sat-s are there. Signal 50 is OK.
Not all transponders will have signal or programing in your area.

On the 722 you can see what satellite the channel you are looking at is coming from simply by pressing the info button twice. (opaque info screen) Look at the top left corner just below the date.