Dish vs. contract tech

kmmcdonald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I installed our original system myself. I bought it from our local Dish distributor, who worked in a smoke-filled store and tried to cheat me out of every accessory (e.g. free Dish installation kit) to which Dish said that I was entitled. But I successfully completed the installation myself. They were also incapable of communicating any technical information to me in a way that I could understand, and I am an electronics engineer by profession.

Eventually, we had to have a dual LNB installed, with a bigger dish, and more wiring, along with a SW64. Actual Dish technicians handled that, and they were very professional. Later, when I got our first DVR through a Dish promitional offer, Dish technicians handled that. Again, they were very professional.

So, when we recently wanted to upgrade to HD, we requested that Dish send us a genuine Dish technician, and not a subcontractor. They agreed. Dish told us that the $200 installation fee included everything we needed to get up and running, including a new switch if we needed it, and the HDMI cable.

On the installation day, someone showed up wearing a Dish shirt, but not driving a Dish truck. He immediately proposed that he connect a second Dish, directly to the single room where our single HD set was. (We have internal cable installed to four rooms, which we have been using for standard view up to this time.) He said that Dish did not have a new switch on the work order, and that he did not have one in the truck. I insisted that I wanted HD capability in each of the four connections, and he questioned whether we would ever use it. Again, I insisted that I wanted HD capability in each room, and that Dish had told us that our fee included everything we needed to complete the installation.

All of a sudden, he found a DP34 on the truck! He said that it normally costs $150, but he'd do us a favor and install it. Then he proceeded to drill holes in walls to bring in additional cables, using only grommits on the inside and outside, instead of wall plates and connections. Fortunately, it was not necessary to install a second dish, but to replace the existing one. Eventually, he insisted that the installation did not include an HDMI cable (which may have actually been true, but contradicted what Dish had tole me on the phone.) He sold us one for $50 (check made out to him personally).

He left all of our outside unused cabling unterminated and unprotected from the elements, hacked off an unused cable entry at the outside wall to install a new cable which he thought would fix an initial problem with the second TV (which it did not and everntually fixed by using a lower channel), and he made off with our original SW64, which although we do not need it anymore, I nevertheless owned.

It took him 5 hours to complete the installation. He did seem to work hard, but I feel that I had to monitor what he did the whole time. Also, I feel that he tried to mislead us originally about the DP34.

Everything works, though, and I suppose that I should be grateful. I supposed I should adopt the attitude that he worked hard and that it went smoothely.

Keith

Contractor vs In-House - In my mind does not mean squat. I've seen shady work from both, and likewise I've seen quality work from both.

Wallplates and bushings, It's possible to run out of both - been there done that, you do what you have to work with. Warehouse can run out of things, coax, switches, LNBs, fittings, zipties, silicone you name it they run out of it.

HDMI cables, at my shop we give them out, if we have them, doesn't guarantee you'll get one.

Not trying to be rude or smart but it is what it is.

I'm not sure why he had to run additional cable... You had a SW64 so you should have had two cables to any dual tuners already on site. Unless he was swapping out two single tuners for a dual tuner...

For the wall grommets... As a technician I prefer those greatly to the wall plates. It cuts down on the time it takes to make the penetration and it uses zero fittings as opposed to two. It is also cheaper, and it also increases the system integrity. A wall plate is just one more barrel junction that could go bad or fail. With wall grommets, no break in the cable is necessary. There is less damage to the wall surface: wall plates require two more screw holes to hold the plate on, while the grommets need only the hole itself. Both look professional IMHO. Grommets are more subtle while the plates look more intentional and permenant.

Last edited:
Contractor vs In-House - In my mind does not mean squat. I've seen shady work from both, and likewise I've seen quality work from both.

Wallplates and bushings, It's possible to run out of both - been there done that, you do what you have to work with. Warehouse can run out of things, coax, switches, LNBs, fittings, zipties, silicone you name it they run out of it.

HDMI cables, at my shop we give them out, if we have them, doesn't guarantee you'll get one.

Not trying to be rude or smart but it is what it is.

I'm sure this all boils down to personal experience, a crap shoot really. But my personal experience has been that the actual "In House" techs have been in the very least more professional and punctual than the 3rd party subcontacted techs that came out. The last 3rd party techs that came here were real rough around the edges - I honestly didnt feel comfortable having them in my house. Did they fix my problem?? Yes, but only after I prodded them relentlessly "did you try this?" "did you try that??"

JQ

I installed our original system myself. I bought it from our local Dish distributor, who worked in a smoke-filled store and tried to cheat me out of every accessory (e.g. free Dish installation kit) to which Dish said that I was entitled. But I successfully completed the installation myself. They were also incapable of communicating any technical information to me in a way that I could understand, and I am an electronics engineer by profession.

Eventually, we had to have a dual LNB installed, with a bigger dish, and more wiring, along with a SW64. Actual Dish technicians handled that, and they were very professional. Later, when I got our first DVR through a Dish promitional offer, Dish technicians handled that. Again, they were very professional.

So, when we recently wanted to upgrade to HD, we requested that Dish send us a genuine Dish technician, and not a subcontractor. They agreed. Dish told us that the $200 installation fee included everything we needed to get up and running, including a new switch if we needed it, and the HDMI cable.

On the installation day, someone showed up wearing a Dish shirt, but not driving a Dish truck. He immediately proposed that he connect a second Dish, directly to the single room where our single HD set was. (We have internal cable installed to four rooms, which we have been using for standard view up to this time.) He said that Dish did not have a new switch on the work order, and that he did not have one in the truck. I insisted that I wanted HD capability in each of the four connections, and he questioned whether we would ever use it. Again, I insisted that I wanted HD capability in each room, and that Dish had told us that our fee included everything we needed to complete the installation.

All of a sudden, he found a DP34 on the truck! He said that it normally costs $150, but he'd do us a favor and install it. Then he proceeded to drill holes in walls to bring in additional cables, using only grommits on the inside and outside, instead of wall plates and connections. Fortunately, it was not necessary to install a second dish, but to replace the existing one. Eventually, he insisted that the installation did not include an HDMI cable (which may have actually been true, but contradicted what Dish had tole me on the phone.) He sold us one for $50 (check made out to him personally).

He left all of our outside unused cabling unterminated and unprotected from the elements, hacked off an unused cable entry at the outside wall to install a new cable which he thought would fix an initial problem with the second TV (which it did not and everntually fixed by using a lower channel), and he made off with our original SW64, which although we do not need it anymore, I nevertheless owned.

It took him 5 hours to complete the installation. He did seem to work hard, but I feel that I had to monitor what he did the whole time. Also, I feel that he tried to mislead us originally about the DP34.

Everything works, though, and I suppose that I should be grateful. I supposed I should adopt the attitude that he worked hard and that it went smoothely.

Keith

I am a contractor and we install what is on the work order..If the w/o is incorrect hopefully we have the EQ to do the job We call Dish to have them add the EQ to the work order so you the customer do not have to pay for it...That switch, the DP34 allowed the third orbital slot to be received by all of your existing receivers plus the new HD box.....In some cases where the structure of the home does not allow the running of additional cables, a special switch the DPP44($199 retail) must be installed..Theseswitches however are to be paid for by the customer...Fortunately your home was able to be wired and thus the tech did not need that switch..To try to charge you for the DP34 switch is IMO highly unnethical..That is due to the fact that the employer of that contractor (the people that actually paid for that switch) would be reimbused by Dish to install that switch....
We do not sullpy HDMI cables. We would have to buy them and Dish does NOT reimburse us fo rthsoe cables..So that cost gets passed on to the consumer.....I have read on here that some DNSC offices are sending techs out with HDMI cables on their trucks..So be it...I have not heard that the DNSC office in my areas supplies them.....DOn't expect a $100 cable to be given away..Someone had to pay for that cable..And it's use IS NOT required for the normal function of the receiver..An HDMI cable is a an extra. a frill if you will...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts