dish vs direct I need "help" to decide

shell23

Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
I have dish network now and purchased a hdtv. After repeated phone calls complaining about there hd programming. It does not include the locals, they wanted me to put up a anntenna on my own, the rest of there HD channels do not interest me. I live in the country 55 miles from the HD tower.
Here is what they offered: $200.00 credit and to install the antenna free.
Or go with direct tv, there hd programming includes my locals.
What should I do? :confused:

You get 30 national channels of HD with Dish. DirecTV offers what, 10? And DirecTV compresses more so what HD programming they do have is not all that good. But the only HD you're interested in is the locals? ER, DH & L&O?

At 55 miles, you might be able to pick up reasonable signals. 60 is about the limit. I'd check with neighbors- anybody got an OTA antenna on their roof?

If in fact all you want is locals HD, then maybe D* is your only option. It could be months or more before E* expands HD LiLs to your area.

Here is what they offered: $200.00 credit and to install the antenna free.
Or go with direct tv, there hd programming includes my locals.
What should I do? :confused:
i would cancel dish and gotot directv but thats me, if you wanna keep dish get like a silversenor anteena one you can put in your attic then call dish back and tell them to credit you 200 big ones although silver sensor don't cost that much

if not too much of a hassle switch to dtv or find a cheap indoor antenna that works then call dish and have them reimburse you 200.00
:welcome to satguys :welcome

I'd say try the antenna and stay with E* at this time. You might want an OTA either way since D* only does ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC (assuming that they do carry all of those in your DMA) at this time. You can then see how things are going next year after D10 goes up and what additional HD channels D* decides to add at that time.

Yeah Direct is ok but if you want the latest and HD Dish is the way to go. I know several X-Direct TV customer that went to Dish and they keep telling me they wished they made the change a long time ago.

They are giving me the $200 credit to upgrade to the 622 dvr.
Can I receive other HD channels off the antenna, without going with there HD programming?
I figure the free antenna and install might sway me the stay with dish.

Yeah only thing you get is just locals in HD with OTA. The other 30 channels of HD is on one of their HD plans so if your on one of there HD Plans plus your locals in HD. Your looking at close to 40 channels of HD.

I doubt any inside antenna or in the attic antenna will pick up stations 55 miles away. Go with a high quality outdoor roof mount antenna. Total cost of antenna, related materials and installation might run more than $200, but could well be worth it if you do in fact get good reception. Installation companies in your area should know if they can get you any stations or not, and may guarantee results.

With OTA you get maybe 3-4 hours of programming per channel per day.

Most of DishNetwork's HD channels are HD 24/7. Yes, there are exceptions.

You didn't mention your location, but you would be wise to look into what HD programming is available from your local channels before you make your decision. In my market we still have 2 of the national networks that are not yet b'casting anything in HD. (They're digital but not yet HD, and neither has a definite timeframe for adding HD capabilities.) For the 3 that are HD, it's not 24/7 HD programming like Jim5506 mentioned, but just prime time and some (not all) sports events. If you remain with Dish you'll need to sub. to the E* locals in order to have the OTA channel programming appear in your EPG, in case that means anything to you. (Not sure how D* works in that regard.)

I am still working on my ultimate solution to OTA reception, being located some distance from all my "local" channels and on the wrong side of a ridge from most of them. But it looks to me like the CM4228 with preamp and rotator will be a viable solution for at least 4 of the 5 networks. From what I have seen the OTA picture quality is noticeably superior to what I can get from E*(and that would also be true with D*) so if you have an OTA option you should make the investment in any case...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts