Dish Vs Direct

Camdog916

SatelliteGuys Family
Is there a forum on here that tells the advantages of having dish over direct or the other way around? I was a former Dish customer and I thought I would give them a try for the past year and have regretted it ever since. Paying an extra $4.99 and month just for Dish to charge me $29.99 instead of $99.99 for a service call is crap. I know with Direct you pay $4.99 a month they come out for free is allot better. So I want to know the other advantages over the two are. Thanks in advance.

Most of the time Dish will waive that 29.99 fee. The other thing is there is no need to pay the 4.99 a month. Most people on here will tell you that if you have a problem you call and put it on your account. Then call back and get the service call. It's not like you should need service very often if it is put in correctly.

I am sure others will have more on the advantages, but here is what I see.

Dish has dual tuner dual tv receivers. Much more flexible in certain applications.

Less money for Dish with equal systems. You only have to pay for 1 receiver on a 2 room system or 2 receivers on a 4 room system, if you can get phone lines to the receivers

Dish DVR's are better units.

Direct has more HD channels at this point, but that does not really mean they have more HD. Just more upconverted SD. This is going to be a back and forth thing between the two as more system upgrades and channels come on.

If you are a sports nut Direct has the lead here, but you pay for it.

Alot really comes down to what you find more important. They are pretty equal for the most part. Service is pretty equal as well, just depends on where you are.

Most of the time Dish will waive that 29.99 fee. The other thing is there is no need to pay the 4.99 a month. Most people on here will tell you that if you have a problem you call and put it on your account. Then call back and get the service call. It's not like you should need service very often if it is put in correctly.

I am sure others will have more on the advantages, but here is what I see.

Dish has dual tuner dual tv receivers. Much more flexible in certain applications.

Less money for Dish with equal systems. You only have to pay for 1 receiver on a 2 room system or 2 receivers on a 4 room system, if you can get phone lines to the receivers

Dish DVR's are better units.

Direct has more HD channels at this point, but that does not really mean they have more HD. Just more upconverted SD. This is going to be a back and forth thing between the two as more system upgrades and channels come on.

If you are a sports nut Direct has the lead here, but you pay for it.

Alot really comes down to what you find more important. They are pretty equal for the most part. Service is pretty equal as well, just depends on where you are.

I am not sure what you mean by calling and put it on your account then call back for a service call. What do you mean?

What my problem is that when I first had dish about 3 years ago I had it at my apartment and they would not let us screw the dish into the building so the guy had it clapped on the roof and ever time a storm came through I would lose signal. So I thought it wasn't secured enough so I got rid of Dish. Now I have moved into a duplex and have had it for almost a year now and with in the first 3 months I could not change channels on the second receiver and kept losting signal. I had the tech come out and he said the 622 DVR receiver was bad. I got a new one. Three months later lost signal again. Call AT&T Dish and was told to switch the two receiver port connections in the back then I got signal back. Then a couple of months later same thing. NO SIGNAL. Called Dish and they said they would have a tech come out. I thought of switching the ports again and it worked. No tech came out. Then on Friday last week it went out again. This time switching the the two ports didn't work. Called dish, tech would come out. After switching the two ports back and forth a couple of times I got signal again. No tech came out. But every time I called they said it would be $29.99 for them to come out and I think it is crap that I have called several times for losing signal and they want to charge me. I mean am I suppose to spend almost $100.00 a year just for a tech to come out every 3 months? Is it that I just have the worse luck with Dish?

This is why I am considering going to Direct. I am tired of my signal going out all the time for no reason. I live in California and we don't get huge tornado's or hurricanes that would make me lose signal . Yes I get rain and little wind but nothing major. And what is dumb it that I lose it on a sunny day.

I do love allot of HD channels and Dish just isn't keeping up with the Jones in that department too. I know that everything is suppose to be digital by next year but I don't want to wait any longer. I know going digital does mean mean everything is going be in HD but when are there going to be more HD channels?

I will admit I love their DVR. Very easy to work with and program. I just wish the rest of the service was great.

Sorry for the long story guys.

What I was saying is most people only pay the 4.99 for DHPP when they need it. Most of the time if you complain Dish will not charge you the 29.99.

Sounds like you have some sort of connection problems, there is no reason for it to go out that often. I have had my Dish service for a total of 4 years. The only thing I have ever had to do was when we upgraded to HD, and I had an LNB go out once.

I went 6 years on the original install without a single problem. I upgraded to HD a few months ago, lost some HD channels 3 weeks later, they found a loose LNB, fixed it. No problems since. I think your case (or possibly mine) is out of the ordinary.

I had both, over the years

The reason I came back to dish, was the receivers. The are much superior to Directs. As for problems, ......nothing really to complain about.

Now cable, is another story..............They are pathetic, in both what they offer and their supposed customer service.

I might be able to finally contribute something on here :) :) :)

Hey Camdog, I had the same repetitive problem and after 6, yes 6, service calls over a half year period, it was finally figured out by one installer that the extended pole from the arm, which was used to attach the satellite to the fence, was moving too much in the wind and all he did was remove the extender and I NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM again . . . EVEN DURING SNOW STORMS AND HEAVY RAIN . . . so my advice is to ask the installers to check the way it is attached; hopefully that helps!

...I know that everything is suppose to be digital by next year but I don't want to wait any longer. I know going digital does mean mean everything is going be in HD but when are there going to be more HD channels?...

All digital and HD are two different things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)