Dish vs directv 4K

You can not future proof any electronics purchase. TV's. TV service. AVR. Disc player 4k or other wise. Stuff changes too fast. In two years we maybe at 8K? And believe me, we will be have this same conversation. Again. Buy the best current tech. Questions like this are like asking whats better Apple or PC, Whats the best Oil. There are people on these forums who have strong options about where they spend there money. Most all have different reasons for there opinion. Figure out if it's the functionality of the DVR? The 3 verse 2 , current 4K channels? LOS of the sats you are going to use. Monthly cost of the service. Ya Da Ya Da. Good luck. Have fun

Definitely DirecTV! We had been with DirecTV for about a decade, when we made the huge mistake of switching to Dish in the fall of 2016, simply because they offered a better price than we were paying DirecTV. Well, we quickly found out that you get what you pay for. Not even 24 hours after having Dish installed, we had to have our Hopper replaced. Then, a week or two later, we had to have it replaced again. We stuck with them for about a year and a half, but both the picture and sound quality were absolutely terrible and our TVs would always black out at midnight at least a few nights per week, requiring us to reset everything. We also had issues with the DVR not recording shows that it was scheduled to record. Overall, it was a horrific experience and, long story short, we went back to DirecTV a few months ago and are SO much happier. The picture quality is a thousand times better than Dish. Two of our TVs are 4K and it is phenomenal. We will never leave them again! Now, we are in a battle with the idiots at Dish because they are claiming that they never received the equipment that we returned to them over 3 months ago and they are threatening to debit $600 from our bank account, so we are going to have to call our bank this week to put a block on them. Total nightmare of a company to deal with! I do not recommend Dish Network at all! Crappy cable is better than Dish!

Definitely DirecTV! We had been with DirecTV for about a decade, when we made the huge mistake of switching to Dish in the fall of 2016, simply because they offered a better price than we were paying DirecTV. Well, we quickly found out that you get what you pay for. Not even 24 hours after having Dish installed, we had to have our Hopper replaced. Then, a week or two later, we had to have it replaced again. We stuck with them for about a year and a half, but both the picture and sound quality were absolutely terrible and our TVs would always black out at midnight at least a few nights per week, requiring us to reset everything. We also had issues with the DVR not recording shows that it was scheduled to record. Overall, it was a horrific experience and, long story short, we went back to DirecTV a few months ago and are SO much happier. The picture quality is a thousand times better than Dish. Two of our TVs are 4K and it is phenomenal. We will never leave them again! Now, we are in a battle with the idiots at Dish because they are claiming that they never received the equipment that we returned to them over 3 months ago and they are threatening to debit $600 from our bank account, so we are going to have to call our bank this week to put a block on them. Total nightmare of a company to deal with! I do not recommend Dish Network at all! Crappy cable is better than Dish!
:welcome to Satelliteguys jwathas!

Sorry to hear about your experience with Dish. I had to re-calibrate my TVs when I switched from DirecTV to Dish for the picture to look right. Of course, I had to do the same when I switched from OTA Tivo to DirecTV. Once calibrated, I'd say DirecTV looks about 5% better than Dish on channels with the worst PQ, and 0% better on the best Dish channels. On the 4K channel, I see no difference, but it doesn't really matter right now given the dearth of content. The only sound complaint I have is "stereo" shows sometimes come through on the center channel only on Dish for some reason, and I never had that problem with DirecTV. That said, my AVR in the living room deals with that fine, and my other TVs just treat it as a mono signal. Since it is mostly talk shows, it really isn't a huge deal.

Your experience canceling sounds an awful lot like my experience with DirecTV every time I have canceled it, and not unlike every time I had TimeWarner Cable. The whole industry really sucks when it comes to end-of-service experience. Based on my terrible experience with DirecTV, I now keep track of return package tracking numbers. When they inevitably try to claim I didn't return my receivers, I send them pictures of the receivers in boxes with their shipping labels attached as well as delivery confirmation from UPS/FedEx for the tracking numbers. I never hear from them again. I've never had the same problem with Dish, but I have no doubt it happens.

I will say the one thing I find myself really appreciating with Dish is the recording capacity of the Hopper3. With our HR54, we were constantly managing our recordings to keep it from filling up. So far, we're hovering around 38% on the Hopper3.

Why is it that threads like this have huge gaps in the post numbers?

Oh, it's all the people on ignore.

Moths to a flame.

Reactions: ChadT41
We stuck with them for about a year and a half, but both the picture and sound quality were absolutely terrible.

The picture quality is a thousand times better than Dish.

Not sure if yer a Troll or Not?

Anyhoo...I went from DTV to DISH...I was immediately bummed after getting the install, the quality of the picture was nowhere near as good of quality as DTV was (I wouldn't say 1000 times, more like 1.2-5.0 times depending on the station)...I still have not been able to overcome/adjust/calibrate the terrible overcompressed channels, can't fix garbage...

Also, Why is SD offered W/O at least an HD version of the same station for every network? (I'm sure someone will point out some justification for it!)

The fact that the 4K-Hopper3 + my 4K-Joeys are able to set recordings for up to 16 at a time is the only reason I would give to anyone as a reason to go with DISH over DTV. The Voice Control & RF remotes, better Guide are also nice features, IMO...But overall, the signal is NOT up to par with the competition!

BTW, The Masters was great in 4K (was at a friend's home who had DTV)

I'm locked up, so I'll do my sentence but will not be renewing upon my release date!

Was with DTV 16 years and switched to DISH about three months ago. Have two Hopper 3s, 5 Joey 3s and a 4K Joey. Notice no difference in PQ at all! Love the Hoppers and their ability to record 16 shows at once as well as their capacity. Both the Hoppers and the Joeys are faster that the equipment with DTV. CSRs for both are sometimes difficult to deal with, but one is just as bad as the other. In short, glad I made the switch and don't plan to return.

Not sure if yer a Troll or Not?!

Let’s see. New guy. One post, and GONE. Made ridiculous claims, that if true, would mean Dish would have no viewers. Bad PQ happens- with bad installations. Can and should be fixed.

I wonder how crowded it is, under that bridge. Or are there enough bridges to go around?

And that link says if you want to see it in HDR you need a HDR supported TV, else it will be in substandard 4K.

FIFY.

I don’t think any TV should be allowed to claim to be “4K” or “UHD” without support for HDR and WCG. Kinda like claiming to be an HDTV because you can accept the signal but only display a much lower resolution.

And in another year or two, a lack of support for HDR-10 should kill any UHD claims.

I disagree on signal strength. First, that has to do with how well the Dish is pointed, primarily. In my own experience and from what the DTV customers I replace with Dish (every day), tghey agree that signal loss on the DTV dishes is way worse. I suspect it's because Dish points by signal strength and DTV points by dBM levels, in many cases

I disagree on signal strength. First, that has to do with how well the Dish is pointed, primarily. In my own experience and from what the DTV customers I replace with Dish (every day), tghey agree that signal loss on the DTV dishes is way worse. I suspect it's because Dish points by signal strength and DTV points by dBM levels, in many cases

Why do you disagree with me when I'm telling ya what I see & know about my situation?

It's the quality of the signal after DISH throttles it before sending it to its customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)