dish vs. directv rain fade: dish wins.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jct21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 26, 2018
kentucky
I've been with dish since black Friday 2020. I was with directv for nearly 20 years. since I've been with dish i have experienced snow storms, ice, & torrential rains. none have knocked out my signal or disrupted my tv in any way. is that typical with an eastern arc hybrid setup? i know without a doubt my directv would have lost signal. even though my directv system was peaked and getting 98-100 signal strength it still lost signal with the slightest moderate rain or snow. always.

I have a few minor issues with my H3 but as far as rain fade goes, I'm very impressed so far. about a half hour ago we just had a very heavy rain storm. while watching my local nbc station i checked the signal levels, it was at 12 but never once went out, froze or pixelated. this same storm would have killed my directv easily.

does dish transmit with a different type of signal that affects its ability to not lose signal so easily?

It takes a serious low to the ground storm to the south to kill our signal. South central Indiana on western arc. H3 with hybrid lnb’s.

Directv does have OCCASIONAL issues with rain fade. You with Dish try tuning to the YES network, or MSG, or SNY. How is your reception on those channels?

Directv does have OCCASIONAL issues with rain fade. You with Dish try tuning to the YES network, or MSG, or SNY. How is your reception on those channels?
C'mon Chip, the OP said that with over 20 years with DirecTV he lost signal with the slightest moderate rain or snow. Then he said he has none of that with DISH. That doesn't sound OCCASIONAL to me! I realize that you live in an area that might be impacted by the loss of New York sports channels but perhaps he couldn't care less. Even if he did he is not addressing that issue with DISH, he is addressing a loss of signal issue which seems to be important to him. Your deflection of one issue with another makes no sense to me.

C'mon Chip, the OP said that with over 20 years with DirecTV he lost signal with the slightest moderate rain or snow. Then he said he has none of that with DISH. That doesn't sound OCCASIONAL to me! I realize that you live in an area that might be impacted by the loss of New York sports channels but perhaps he couldn't care less. Even if he did he is not addressing that issue with DISH, he is addressing a loss of signal issue which seems to be important to him. Your deflection of one issue with another makes no sense to me.

You're right. I just got my GF over to Dish and virtually every big thunderstorm produced an outage with Direct. I was at her place last week during the huge storms in the SE and we didn't lose the signal. I attribute it to the eastern arc but who knows. I have definitely lost my signal during some huge storms but it was never as bad as hers. You could predict the weather by her outages.

Directv has rare signal loss. If he lost signal in a moderate rain then he had other issues. That misses my point though. For those that want many of the sports channels that Dish refuses to carry Directv is the only real alternative.

Reactions: Jimbo
Your point is that people are too stupid to choose their own programming, so you need to inject that subject into a totally unrelated thread.
Your post is 100% wrong. My point is that choosing Dish over Directv because of a minimal rain fade issue means you limit your choice of programming that is important to millions of people.

I chose dish because I save a few dollars and I like the channel lineup. in particular the channels like H&I, metv, get tv, cozi, etc... I cant get those ota in my rural area. I had no idea the rain fade issue was gonna be better on dish compared to directv. that is something I view as a bonus. my directv setup was checked many times over the years. protection plan paid off over this. wiring was replaced, lnb as well as the whole dish was replaced several times because of my loss of signal "almost" every time it rained. it wasn't all the time, but it was very common.

as far as signal strength those sports channels, I wouldn't know. I don't care if dish carries them or not. I'm not a sports fan. I couldn't possibly care any less about all things "ball" sports. I have all sport channels blocked from my favorites list. no sense in being bothered with that in my guide :)

This thread is about rain fade not sports programming. Also, it might surprise you that there are some people who don't give a flying you know what about sports programming.
I'm aware not everyone makes their provider choice based on sports programming. They shouldn't make it based on which has better rain fade since it's not really an issue. Or it shouldn't be anyways. If you have rain fade problems then there is something wrong with your installation.

I'm aware not everyone makes their provider choice based on sports programming. They shouldn't make it based on which has better rain fade since it's not really an issue. Or it shouldn't be anyways. If you have rain fade problems then there is something wrong with your installation.
I agree that you shouldn't select a satellite service based on rain fade. I have both services and Directv has gone out a lot more times than Dish and yes my Directv dish is peaked so it's not an issue with something wrong with the dish or installation.

Then why do you bring it up? Why not give the poster the benefit of the doubt and assume he knew what programming he was getting when he signed up for Dish? Are you trying to help the OP or just get a dig on Dish because they don't provide programming that YOU want?

Also, while YOU claim Direct only has occasional rain outages, it doesn't really matter what your impression is. First, you're not near the OP, so you wouldn't have the same weather systems affect you, and second, "occasional" and "often" are subjective. Maybe he's watching TV while you're at work or in bed, so he sees more. Does that mean he's wrong?

Reactions: lfp302 and Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts