Dish vs. DirecTV

I have a 722k but do not use it in Dual Mode as I like the flexibility of recording a show and simultaneously viewing another. If I set it up in dual mode the second tv would be limited to the recording.
This is true if you're absolutely unwilling to try OTA.

In Ira's case, there are five programs simultaneously and you probably can't watch all of them live. I'm assuming that at least two of them are available OTA.

I'm thinking that a single ViP722K could output two live programs (while recordign them) and record two with an OTA module and a serviceable OTA antenna. I'm assuming that SD viewing is not a show stopper. If you want HD, you can go back later and watch it in HD.

The 625 is limited to two programs and there's no confusion about dual mode versus single mode.

I can record four programs at once with a ViP622 and a 508 so I'm thinking that spending the extra on a discreet OTA setup would be better than leasing another DVR.

I get it. I get it. You prefer D*.

I was making sure he got all the info on the receivers.

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy...

Yes I do. However, I was simply commenting on your post, and that comment really had nothing to do with my preference for one or the other. If you took offense to that, it was not my intent. I am sure he is glad that you gave him the info.

Need 3 Dual Tuners DVRs - Is Dish the way to go or pay for DVRs with DTV?

We have DTV with 1 SD DVR and 2 regular boxes. After looking at UVerse and calling DTV (which wants to charge $99 each for two more DVRs), wondering if switching to Dish would be the way to go. However, all the tvs need a dual tuner so we can watch and tape at the same time (which is why UVerse won't work since you only get 4 streams)

Should I suck it up and pay DTV for the additional DVR's or try to see if I can get it cheaper with Dish? Don't care about sports packages and don't really care about HD at this time.

Thanks

Sometimes a good Winegard or ChannelMaster preamp-amplifier combination can make the difference between so-so and excellent OTA reception.

If you are within 60 miles of good OTA programming, a one-time expenditure (either for the preamp or else for a professional installer) gives you those channels for years without any further monthly cost.

PS Why is this not moved to the War Zone ??

I install both, but prefer D for me since we are very much into sports. Personally, I think PQ is close enough to be a wash, but the sports programming tilts the deal for me.

One thing you should check for yourself - there are way more tech/equipment problem threads on this board for E than their are for D. While I personally think E hardware has the "capability" to be superior, it is not nearly as resiliant or reliable as D. Again, just my opinion.

Check for yourself - your mileage may vary.

Totally disagree on the hardware. I had both until recently and Dish Network receivers are superior in almost every way over Directv boxes.

I don't live in the city either. He did not specify WHERE he lived. Just adding some substance to this thread, which is more than I can say for some...;)
OTA isn't the answer for everything.
If it was D* and E* would have left the tuners built in free of charge.
OTA Is Big in Citys ,and nearby. But all the rest , Hardly have a use for OTA.

possibly on topic for this thread am not sure, but we in southern Calfornia just experienced our first major rain storm since early last spring. It was a good chance for me to check out amy rain fade issues with Dish. I am please to report that there were NO rain fades at all...zip,nada,none! As opposed to DirecTV, where almost all of my HD channels would black out every time during a heavy rain. Some might say it was an alignment problem. I dunno, I am just very happy with Dish

Last edited:
possibly on topic for this thread am not sure, but we in southern Calfornia just experienced our first major rain storm since early last spring. It was a good chance for me to check out amy rain fade issues with Dish. I am please to report that there were NO rain fades at all...zip,nada,none! As opposed to DirecTV, where almost all of my HD channels would black out every time during a heavy rain. Some might say it was an alignment problem. I dunno, I am just very happy with Dish

Good observation - also in SOCAL with D in my home and had no fade. But since I do installs, mine is nailed dead on, as are all the installs I do.

Didn't hear anything from either my D or E customers from either the rain or the wind.

Good install is just flat out a good install, regardless of provider.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)