Dish vs. DTV for just SD; Dish DVR vs. Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

denvernewbie

Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on an Standard Def only package. I don't currently have an HD capable set, and will not be acquiring one for at least a year. I have several issues I'd like clarified before I make my decision. Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. Which has the better picture quality in SD? On an earlier thread someone claimed that Dish had the better PQ for SD. Apparently this user experienced "macro blocking" on DTV, to the extent that the picture became unwatchable. So which service delivers the most artifact free reception overall? I plan to be watching mainly with a 32 inch set from a distance of 8 feet, and I want to see very few artifacts at that distance.

2. Mutiple dishes with Dish Network. It seems as though I will require two dishes to receive local channels if I go with Dish. Aside from having an extra dish on the property, what other hasseles might be involved with having an extra dish? Is it possible to get Dish network w/o the local channels, even if local channels are availible in your area? On the Dish website it seemed to automatically assign the local channel add-on to me upon selection of a program package.

3. Dish DVR vs. Tivo. What exactly can Tivo do that the Dish DVR cannot? Is it true that the Dish system is usually faster in operation? If you buy a DTV TIVO system does it still work even if you later cancel the DTV service?

4. I'm leaning towards getting a bigger programing package like the Top 180 from Dish or Total Choice Plus from Directv. If I go with Dish I need a bigger dish for this package called the Dish 500. Does DTV also require a bigger dish with this package type? I couldn't find anything to that effect on their website thus far.

it is a matter of choice. if you have to have name based recording now, then get the tivo. dish says they will have it soon. they say that every couple of months. dish usually has a lower up front cost.

be prepared for the tivo owners to come in and bash dish. discount them and do your research. you will have one or two people come in and say they had both and prefer the tivo. we have a couple of people that love to bash dish.

I think you right, its all your preference. I went with direct because of the TIVO service, but if they keep dropping channels, I might go to dish. I didnt like the point of having 2 dishes on my house, but I though you can get the Super DIsh to end that? I also, didnt like what I read about the problems with the dish 522 box, that then again, not everyone has those problems, but try to explain that to the wive when ER's sound keeps cutting out. So, far I am happy with direct, but you never know, a change may be in the works. One thing that I did like about Dish is with their 180 package they give you some movie channels and also Fox Sports World, where direct you have to order the sports package to get FSW. So, its all you choice of what you want, all I know, so far it way better than cable and clearer and cheeper for me.

I have a direcTivo (D*)and a dvr 508 (E*). But I'm not going to bash in this thread....
I would take a very close look at the channel lineup and make that the deciding factor on who to pick. For me that choice would go towards E* at this point due to much much more international packages.
Also make sure you get all your initial equipment needs (how many receivers, what type of receivers, etc.) taken care of 100%. It's much easier to get a good deal or freebies if you are not a customer yet...

denvernewbie said:
4. I'm leaning towards getting a bigger programing package like the Top 180 from Dish or Total Choice Plus from Directv. If I go with Dish I need a bigger dish for this package called the Dish 500. Does DTV also require a bigger dish with this package type? I couldn't find anything to that effect on their website thus far.
Dish 500 is a standard size dish. It's used to acquire satellites at 110 and 119 degrees simultaneously. Saves you from needing another dish, unless your locals are on a 3rd satellite. In Denver, some locals are on the 148 degree satellite ( http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm ), so a 2nd dish will be required anyway. At least it's not 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)