DISH vs U-verse

TARad

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Indianapolis
After many issues with U-verse I have a ton of questions, so sorry in advance if this is a long post!

Long story short, I had U-verse TV/Internet for about 4 years, Comcast before that. When I moved into my new house in a new area U-verse was available and I jumped on it. Everything worked flawlessly for the first three years, and then the internet started having major issues. Literally a dozen tech visits later, I canceled the internet service and went with Comcast with new wiring and my own equipment, and it works great. That was about a year ago. Skip to about six months ago, U-verse TV started having issues such as random low PQ, audio/video out of sync, random service downtimes, etc... This is happening more and more often. So far I've had two people out to look at it and they claim nothing is wrong other than "probably a large amount of people in the area using it at the same time".

So after being completely frustrated the other day while watching a random TV show and having the picture cut out every 5-10 minutes for a good 30 seconds each time, I called again and got the same answers that nothing was wrong but they'd come swap the DVR again and finally started looking at other options.

Basically it seems as though the Dish Top 250 has the same channel line up as what I currently have (at a slightly better price). So all is good there.

The current setup that I have is the main DVR in the living room and two STB's (1 in a bedroom, one in an upstairs loft). I understand that this is similar to the Hopper/Joey system. The main issue I'm coming across is the fact that U-verse can record 4 shows at a time while the hopper can only record three (three non-network or two non-network + PrimeTime Anytime). Since I assume we'd be using PrimeTime Anytime, that takes it down to two other non-network shows at a time.

If that is correct, the wife isn't having any of that. :p Since we both work early mornings we record everything (generally recording in series format, recording the first airing). While most of the time that wouldn't be an issue, there are nights where four shows recording at a time, all on non-network stations, isn't at all uncommon.

So here is where the questions start:

While researching I found that it is possible to get two hoppers, which would add three more signals, correct?

I've read that it is possible to view all recordings from any box. Is this right? Is this an easy task or a bit complex?

Can I setup recordings all from one room, or do I have to do some in one room and some in the other?

Anything that I am completely wrong about?

Any thoughts on U-verse vs DISH's Hopper/Joey?

Any additional stuff that I should know?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

So here is where the questions start:

While researching I found that it is possible to get two hoppers, which would add three more signals, correct?

Each Hopper has three tuners, so two hoppers would be six tuners total.

I've read that it is possible to view all recordings from any box. Is this right? Is this an easy task or a bit complex?

The Hoppers can see each other and access recordings. The joeys can basically do the same and it's very simple.

Can I setup recordings all from one room, or do I have to do some in one room and some in the other?

You must set up timers from the hopper you want them to record on. You can't set up a timer on hopper 2 from the hopper 1 location. You can however link your Joey to either Hopper 1 or 2 and set a timer that way. You can also set a timer on either Hopper from dish online or the dish remote access app.

Any thoughts on U-verse vs DISH's Hopper/Joey?

I've never had Uverse but after reading reviews and posts, it seems the hopper is a much more capable system.

Any additional stuff that I should know?

I love my hopper Joey system more than any other system I've ever had.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

If you place the Joey on the "main" TV, you can then link quite easily to either Hopper and set your timers. I have a 2 Hopper/3 Joey set up and I have the Joey on the Family room TV. The only thing you give up is PIP, but I do not use that anyway.

I love the Hoppers/Joeys and as the software updates have come out it is getting better all of the time.

Thank you both for the responses.

The Hoppers can see each other and access recordings. The joeys can basically do the same and it's very simple.

You must set up timers from the hopper you want them to record on. You can't set up a timer on hopper 2 from the hopper 1 location. You can however link your Joey to either Hopper 1 or 2 and set a timer that way. You can also set a timer on either Hopper from dish online or the dish remote access app.

The answer here sounds pretty complex. How do series recordings work on this system? Set up some on one hopper and the others on the other one?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am completely new to anything other than cable!

Umm not sure I fully understand the question. Let's say you record Family Guy series and it records on your living room Hopper. You can view those programs on both hoppers and all Joeys in the home. But as far as setting the timer up, you can't grab the living room hopper remote and set up a series timer for Family Guy and send it to record on the basement hopper. The Hopper you set the timer from, is the hopper it will physically be stored on. But again, you can access the recordings from either Hopper or Joeys. As far as actually setting up a series timer, it's very simple. Find your show in the guide and press select. Then choose the record series option on the box that appears. Then you will have a few setting options appear and you can set the timer.

I hope that answers your question, if that is what you were asking.

U-Verse is awful. Bad HD PQ and only 3-4 HD feeds, if you're lucky. Watching TV slows down the Internet. Only a single DVR allowed per household with a tiny HDD and no external drive capabilities. I had U-Verse TV for a brief period of time and hated every minute of it. I couldn't wait to get back to Dish. I still have U-Verse Internet though since it's no longer slowed down by watching TV.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I had Uverse. Had it for two years. Id had dish in the past..but now at girlfriends...whom has the Uverse.

After two + years of Uverse..and the constant..frame by frame pixels..freezing up often...tons of tech visits..got her to go with Dish.
ohh and when the hoodlums stole uverse cooper wire..and we where without tv for five dayz.. it was awful. 4 strands...two can be hd..but then u cant watch anything else anywhere.

we have two hoppers...3 joeys. all hoppers or joeys can see any recording anytime..so can watch it live or recorded. or can pause..go into another room.

I have 1 hopper do prime time anytime...which is four shows at once on one tuner. still have five more tuners....all tuners can be recoding programs..yet all joeys or hoppers can still watch independent recordings via whatever hopper they want to.
bottom line....Dish is the best hands down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)