Dish VS Univision/Galavision/Telefutura

"Smart people choose their battles wisely, they dont fight every one."

That's the problem, this company is run by morons. Upper management at Dish Network is incompetent, they make so many stupid decisions.

I understand the purpose of the hard line, but at some point, when you start losing your customers because of it, it needs to change.

Hello - nothing has been taken down yet.

Everyone is acting like it has happened, rather than just being threatened...

BTW, some of you sound like you pay the full sticker price on an automobile. :rolleyes:

This is a perfect example why we need to have alarcarte programming. 99.999% of my customers do not watch these channels and are paying for them. Maybe DISH should have a 200pak with hispanic programming and a 200 channel without hispanic programming.

Hello - nothing has been taken down yet.

Everyone is acting like it has happened, rather than just being threatened...

BTW, some of you sound like you pay the full sticker price on an automobile. :rolleyes:

Correct, nothing has happened yet. It's just that these contract disputes occur almost every month with Dish Network. It's just getting old.

NEW YORK, March 2 (Reuters) - U.S. satellite TV provider Dish Network Corp (DISH.O) posted higher fourth-quarter profit on Monday despite losing more than 100,000 subscribers.

Net income rose to $216.6 million, or 48 cents per share, from $175 million, or 39 cents a share, a year earlier.

--------
Shedding customers can sometimes be a good thing

Their current business plan wont hold. They arent just dumping bad customers, they are losing good customers too. I hope they drop the subject channels, I wanna see just how dumb they are.

Nor is Univision's current business model -

Univision posted a quarterly loss of $1.99 billion due partly to $2.25 billion in writedowns and charges. Its year-ago loss amounted to $201.5 million. Quarterly revenue fell 7.8% to $502.1 million.

Remember that this goes both ways. The channels in question will also lose access to 11.5 million (+/-) viewers. Think what this will do to their advertising revenues. Look for a last minute deal or a one to two day shutoff.

There goes my Sunday MLS contests (in Spanish) if Telefutura is gone. I'm still mourning, to some extent, the loss of GOL TV from Dish Network.

Years back, Dish got into that dispute with Viacom and all their stations were turned off until Dish came to an agreement with them. I believe it took around 2 weeks, but CBS, MTV, etc...all were lost. I remember the customer complaints we got from people losing CBS, but at that time, DTV was not offering locals in as many markets as Dish was, so I don't think the churn was that bad. Now though, it won't take long for people to jump ship and buy their services from a company who seems to care about customer retention, instead of a company who cares about net profits more.

And update to this is that these channels will be removed from Dish Network on April 2nd unless a deal can be made.

The loss of these channels on Dish Network would have a damaging effect on Dish Network which caters to a large Hispanic base.

The original post mentioned both local and national feeds. What if the locals have a must carry status? Or does must carry only apply to cable?

There goes my Sunday MLS contests (in Spanish) if Telefutura is gone. I'm still mourning, to some extent, the loss of GOL TV from Dish Network.

Me too.

Face it, when you drink the Dish Kool-Aid you agree to consider any station Charlie deems too expensive to be not worth watching. We've seen this all before (sometimes the station remains, sometimes not) but really can't say we didn't see it coming.

Especially with the economy the way it is we shouldn't be surprised to see disputes with a lot of channels, some of which are never resolved. Those who were dismissive of the Voom/GolTV/Smithsonian/YES complainers will most likely eventually see channels they care about come under fire. What goes around, comes around.

My feeling is that it's just a matter of time (and, again, the economy). Charlie has got to cut costs somewhere. :)

Might be taken off air by Dish Network in absence of deal

Management also said it is preparing to potentially be taken off the air by satellite TV giant Dish Network as the two sides have not been able to reach a new carriage agreement. Sources said the coming days will be key in the talks.
and
Univision has struck retransmission consent deals with most major cable, satellite TV and telco distributors. Its latest is an agreement in principle with Time Warner Cable. Management said Monday that final deal terms are still being hammered out as the previous deal is set to expire Tuesday. But the Dish impasse could see Univision's three networks and 64 stations get yanked off the air later this week. A Dish spokeswoman declined comment.

Source & More: thr.com

Unfortunately these three channels, for most hispanics, are equivalant to CBS,NBC and ABC to others. My phone has been ringing for a week now! We'll see how this shakes out.

so i just found out about this, with parents who watch those channels religously i got a call from them asking what the deal was..ack now whats the latest on this :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts