Dish Wally Is JUNK

The fact that you see unpair means that you are already paired. So, try this, press the Sat button on the left side of the remote. Now press 140. Did it change channels to ESPN? If so you are set up to talk to the Wally. Now, you said that you can turn the TV on and off. Did you have to press the TV button on the left side of the remote to do that? You shouldn't need to do that. It should always be in Sat mode. Let's see if while you are in Sat mode you are able to change channels and turn the Wally on and off. The we can go further.
Ok, I pressed the Sat button on the left side of the remote and press 140 and it went to ESPN Channel 140. So, here's the other problem. I can press the Power button on the remote, the TV turns off, the Wally does not turn off. The little light on the receiver stays on all the time, unless I press the Power button on the receiver to turn it off.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok, I pressed the Sat button on the left side of the remote and press 140 and it went to ESPN Channel 140. So, here's the other problem. I can press the Power button on the remote, the TV turns off, the Wally does not turn off. The little light on the receiver stays on all the time, unless I press the Power button on the receiver to turn it off.
It sounds like we are moving in the right direction. Now, when you press the power button to turn things off do this, monitor that your TV turned off and that you still have a power light on with the Wally. Let it sit like that for 5 minutes. After, or even before, that 5 minutes is up does the light go out? That is normal behavior. There is a built in buffer that keeps the power going for a brief period in case you shut it off by mistake.

Bobby, I just found that Wally has it's own "educated" mind. Here's what happens. When I press the Power button on the remote, the TV turns off, the Wally receiver Power light stay lit. Now, lets watch what Wally does. The light on Wally goes out after about "three minutes" of waiting, which makes me thing the receiver shut down.
Is this normal procedure for it to shut down? If so, I would guess we are running on gas.

Bobby, I just found that Wally has it's own "educated" mind. Here's what happens. When I press the Power button on the remote, the TV turns off, the Wally receiver Power light stay lit. Now, lets watch what Wally does. The light on Wally goes out after about "three minutes" of waiting, which makes me thing the receiver shut down.
Is this normal procedure for it to shut down? If so, I would guess we are running on gas.
yes it is. I found that out when I set up a Wally for my dad. When you press the power button the TV shuts off but the receiver for some reason takes 4-5 minutes to shut off.

yes it is. I found that out when I set up a Wally for my dad. When you press the power button the TV shuts off but the receiver for some reason takes 4-5 minutes to shut off.
If I
If I was Dish CEO Charlie Ergen, I would take time, take a trip to China where those two brothers in their two bedroom shack way back in that dark alley in the small town in China where Dish products are made to learn what to expect when we the customer buys such item and have to spend time to get it to work properly.
Or at least put it in writing in the User Guide what to expect when it is installed.

If I

If I was Dish CEO Charlie Ergen, I would take time, take a trip to China where those two brothers in their two bedroom shack way back in that dark alley in the small town in China where Dish products are made to learn what to expect when we the customer buys such item and have to spend time to get it to work properly.
Or at least put it in writing in the User Guide what to expect when it is installed.
Naw, you just come here for the best education! :)

Dish receivers NEVER turn off. After a certain period of time they go into standby mode but are still on so they can record when a timer fires.

If I

Umm.OK? Kinda weird, pal.

Dish receivers NEVER turn off. After a certain period of time they go into standby mode but are still on so they can record when a timer fires.
Beat me to that one. They never actually turn off. Thus the "on/off" feature (and state-change indicator light) is apparently just a consumer aesthetic decision. Maybe Charlie likes "off" switches. Steve Jobs didn't, which is why Apple products notably didn't have them.

I do wonder who came up with the screen that comes up on my 722 that says "your rx will be turned off due to inactivity," with choices of "OK," "cancel," or "no"- "no"?? NOOOO don't turn off! And right, even when "off" they're still updating guide, recording shows, etc.

That didn't work.
When I press System Info. button on Wally, I get a Dish Diagnostics screen. On the left side panel. It shows.
Receiver 1, Status, Settings, Tools, History, Network 2, and Dish 3.
On right side. Remote, Model 54.1, Hardware. SW6, Filmware. ED11T504EW59, Battery: Good (green), (Locate) and (Unpair) block.
And when I press the Sat button on the remote, I get "no beeps"
It wont beep if its already paired.

I want to thank everyone here that has contributed their experiences, ideas, and thoughts on the Dish Wally receiver. However, I would like to make a suggestion that the people at Dish Network spend some time to upgrade the User Guide to all the ways (operation) that Wally receiver works when installed.

Also, I think Wally receiver has a built-in embarrassment flaw. It feels embarrassed to completely shut down while the owner is in the room and waits till all leave the room to shut down. Sort like a person that is afraid to look at their own naked body and turns out the light before taking a shower.

Also, I think Wally receiver has a built-in embarrassment flaw. It feels embarrassed to completely shut down while the owner is in the room and waits till all leave the room to shut down. Sort like a person that is afraid to look at their own naked body and turns out the light before taking a shower.
"Ahhh! The Metaphors, Man!" - Tweek

Last edited:
I ordered a Dish Wally last week and received it yesterday (1-8). Installed it and had it activated. That went fairly well I would guess. However, it didn't do all the things that what showed in the user manual. The receiver started up before requiring signal was finish. Didn't get the guide also. After some pushing remote buttons, did get the TV viewing. The remote pairing to Wally receiver and to the TV never did work. Could get the remote to turn on the TV, but it wouldn't turn off the TV. Called Dish and they wasn't in the mood to solve any of the problems. Kept telling me this Wally is made for motorhomes not for family room operation.
I would guess this is one for the dumpster, as I bought it from a dealer that sells motorhome parts and no return. $75.00 spent for a canoe boat anchor, and that probably wouldn't work also. The item didn't appear to be used, as it was in the original box and all the items was plastic sealed. Just one bad Wally dude.
Anyone have a better plan to solve the matter at hand?

I bought a used Wally last week with a Playmaker dish for pay-go use with a RV (I don't have Dish service @ home) . Once I got Sat signal it took me a couple of days and a few hours with tech support on the phone to get it working, in addition to multiple reloads of software, guide and re-boot of the box, the technician finally concluded that my newly activated account records didn't list the correct smart card # . They corrected this , (tech support was helpful) and I got fully functional viewing. My question now is; that I have a old Sony dish that I previously used with Direct TV (and it has a NOS LNB). Will it work with my Wally receiver? Thanks

I bought a used Wally last week with a Playmaker dish for pay-go use with a RV (I don't have Dish service @ home) . Once I got Sat signal it took me a couple of days and a few hours with tech support on the phone to get it working, in addition to multiple reloads of software, guide and re-boot of the box, the technician finally concluded that my newly activated account records didn't list the correct smart card # . They corrected this , (tech support was helpful) and I got fully functional viewing. My question now is; that I have an old Sony dish that I previously used with Direct TV (and it has a NOS LNB). Will it work with my Wally receiver? Thanks
I don't have experience with that but after a few minutes searching, it might work. Of course you've got to lock it onto the correct satellite. However even if it works it's just a single lnb and dish requires two satellites to receive all channels, so unless you want to constantly repointed the dish between satellites then I'd say it's not worth dealing with.

I don't have experience with that but after a few minutes searching, it might work. Of course you've got to lock it onto the correct satellite. However even if it works it's just a single lnb and dish requires two satellites to receive all channels, so unless you want to constantly repointed the dish between satellites then I'd say it's not worth dealing with.
Hey- Thanks for your reply, I've been playing with this and it,s generated more questions. I connected my Wally box (first to the Dish Playmaker where it worked fine ) to my vintage Direct TV Sony 18S1, I didn't get any signal but the box acted like it wanted to reset itself (more on that later ). I also have a Dish DB Plus Digital LNBF A11203-1C121H7NL dish w/ 3 LNBs that I found in the trash. I connected it to the Wally. The Wally decided to reset itself and cycle thru its Acquistion procedure. Amazingly I winged the directional settings on the dish and pointed it in the general direction, and I got 72 on the Wally signal meter and video. I didn't get all of the channels (as you suggested) , I assume that's what the 3 LNBs are for on the dish. The dish has 3 coax wires coming out, I connected to each of them individually to learn it was only receiving from the right LNB (verified by putting my hand in front of it and loosing signal). Is there supposed to be a switch to hop between the LNBs? Btw, I was able to receive both Satellites (110 & 119) , just not all of the transponders. What am I missing here? Thanks