Dish wants me to take French Language lessons

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Exact email minus my subscriber number. (A privacy statement so private it needs translation!)

Numéro de compte: ==================

Cher Steve,

De temps en temps, nous tenons á vous rappeler certaines de nos pratiques á l'égard de votre vie privée. S'il vous plaît retenez que DISH ne vous appellera jamais vous demandant des informations personnelles ou des informations relatives á votre compte DISH. Ceci comprend le numéro de n'importe quel récepteur DISH sur votre compte, votre numéro de compte ou de toutes informations de paiement.

Si vous nous appelez, nos représentants vous demanderons des informations comme un moyen de vérifier que vous etes le titulaire du compte. Nous faisons cela pour empêcher les modifications non autorisées sur les comptes des clients.

Merci d'être un client DISH.

Exact email minus my subscriber number. (A privacy statement so private it needs translation!)

Numéro de compte: ==================

Cher Steve,

De temps en temps, nous tenons á vous rappeler certaines de nos pratiques á l'égard de votre vie privée. S'il vous plaît retenez que DISH ne vous appellera jamais vous demandant des informations personnelles ou des informations relatives á votre compte DISH. Ceci comprend le numéro de n'importe quel récepteur DISH sur votre compte, votre numéro de compte ou de toutes informations de paiement.

Si vous nous appelez, nos représentants vous demanderons des informations comme un moyen de vérifier que vous etes le titulaire du compte. Nous faisons cela pour empêcher les modifications non autorisées sur les comptes des clients.

Merci d'être un client DISH.
Account Number: ==================

Dear Steve,

From time to time, we á remind you of some of our favorite practices regarding your privacy. Please remember that DISH did you never call you asking for personal information or account information at your DISH. This includes the number of any DISH receiver on your account, your account number or any payment information.

If you call us, our representatives will ask you for information as a means to verify that you are the account holder. We do this to prevent unauthorized changes to customers' accounts.

Thank you for being a customer DISH.

Google translate is just a little better than when you get a manual from a Chinese manufacturer transliterated into English - ugh!

Google translate is just a little better than when you get a manual from a Chinese manufacturer transliterated into English - ugh!
Actually, I work for a Belgian-based company and they speak French predominantly. I have, on occasion, used Google Translate to change my text or email to French and have been told many times that the translation was perfect. I'm not talking about a single sentence either - it has been multiple sentences or more.

Hall, Google Translate does very well, but at no time has it ever been "perfect" for me among the romance languages. Translating from one language to another correctly is exceedingly difficult. One does not translate words, they translate thoughts. Thoughts are expressed in different words and phrases in different languages. In order to translate from one language to another "perfectly" one has to translate the thoughts.

Look at the google translation into English from the French text. "...remind you of some of our favorite practices regarding your privacy" The sentence really says " remind you of some of our policies regarding your privacy." The "favorite" comes from a misreading of a phrase that could, in some situations, translate to favorite, but doesn't really mean that.

It can make for some rather entertaining faux pas. :)

Considering my co-workers speak French as their native tongue, and we've had the exact same discussion regarding simply not being able to translate "word for word", they were quite impressed that it translated phrases so good.

On a related note, I have taken product labels, instructions, etc and used Google Translate to convert from French to English, "to give me a starting point", as I do NOT speak French. In some cases, I have to "Americanize" nothing. Other times, it's just a particular word that's not real common in US-English that I have to change.

Hall, Google Translate does very well, but at no time has it ever been "perfect" for me among the romance languages.
Did another translation for an email this morning. Some co-workers have some English, can read it, but aren't comfortable writing, so I responded to them in French, courtesy of Google:

J'essaie de trouver des capsules de bouteilles ventilés, 28mm, mais n'ayant pas beaucoup de chance jusqu'à présent. J'ai trouvé deux sources qui les vendent individuellement, mais celui-ci était en Angleterre et l'autre en Australie! Je vais continuer à chercher bien ...
My co-worker here in the States, who speaks French as his native language, responded:

This is a great translation by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts