DISH wants my LNB, even though I purchased it

concord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Southern North Carolina
I've been with DISH since the late 90's and I'm cancelling service; going with OTA, FTA and roku, just costing too much for what you get. Went on vacation mode for a while and decided we can live without it.

Anyhow, I've always purchased my own equipment, but while trying to cancel, the rep says he doesn't care, the system will charge me a fee if I dont' return it. So I asked to speak to his manager. I've been on hold now for over 15 minutes. I guess because I'm cancelling, they put me low on the cue...

Don't think I'll consider DISH if we decide to go back to pay TV.

Is this because of concern about piracy?

Nope.

Just think of the thousands upon thousands upon thousands literally of lnbs sitting unused at houses and apartment complexes all across America because a Dish customer has moved and no longer lives at that house or apartment.

You cancel your account, Dish would like the lnb back.
If you move your account, they tell you to leave your dish and lnb at the old residence and the tech will install a new dish and lnb at the new residence.

Now, just think of all the "DishMovers" that Dish does and that'll give you somewhat an idea of how many unused lnbs are out there.

Now, if the new resident at the old residence had dish or gets dish, then that lnb will get reused if it's still in good shape or it'll be returned back to dish by the tech.

Is this because of concern about piracy?

I think when they originally implemented the policy it was about piracy.

Hacking was at a all time high and multi-sat dishes and switches were kind of expensive, so people would sub for a little while, than start ''stealing'' service.

Considering they don't require one to return the LNBF's when MOVING, and a tech is NEVER sent to get those LNBF's after the MOVE. I can think of only 3 reasons why Dish demands the LNBF's be returned upon cancelling service:

1. Concern of Piracy

2. Inventory of LNBF's can be written off at tax time, to make up for the loss of a subscriber, however, little it may be. We are talking Charlie Ergan here, who listed mops and brooms for sale on-line when liquidating Blockbuster.

3. Letting the door kick one's ma-hinney as they leave Charlie World and at least attempt a tax write-off in the process. This is Charlie Ergan we are talking about. While a customer, he MIGHT treat you well enough, but LEAVE him (loss of money)? Incur Charlie's wrath, you will.

Considering they don't require one to return the LNBF's when MOVING, and a tech is NEVER sent to get those LNBF's after the MOVE. I can think of only 3 reasons why Dish demands the LNBF's be returned upon cancelling service:

1. Concern of Piracy

2. Inventory of LNBF's can be written off at tax time, to make up for the loss of a subscriber, however, little it may be. We are talking Charlie Ergan here, who listed mops and brooms for sale on-line when liquidating Blockbuster.

3. Letting the door kick one's ma-hinney as they leave Charlie World and at least attempt a tax write-off in the process. This is Charlie Ergan we are talking about. While a customer, he MIGHT treat you well enough, but LEAVE him (loss of money)? Incur Charlie's wrath, you will.

have you ever priced a new LNBF? Go lose a few off your van and you will find out. ;P not only are they more then people think they are, ( 30/40$) something like that... But if they get then back they can refurb them and make more that way. But when you return a receiver when leaving dish they have an extra spot for the LNB and because of that it is hardly any more for dish to send something

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

When a Dish sub put in pole mount Dish during my HD upgrade, the tech climbed my tower and took the LNB I had bought and installed years before (of course, he left the dish for me to remove.) When I complained to Dish, they said I could keep the new LNB when I terminate service and noted that in my account. When that day comes, my guess is they'll demand the LNB back anyway.

Thanks to ZachS@DISH Network, I received word that I was given a waiver and I don't need to return the LNB. I would think DISH would keep a record of their dish installs and if I wasn't in the dish install database, then they can assume that I bought my own equipment. Looking at ebay, my old 722 isn't worth much these days, but LNBs prices seem to steady. checked craigslist and there are few LNBs, as DISH usually takes them back.

Thanks to ZachS@DISH Network, I received word that I was given a waiver and I don't need to return the LNB. I would think DISH would keep a record of their dish installs and if I wasn't in the dish install database, then they can assume that I bought my own equipment. Looking at ebay, my old 722 isn't worth much these days, but LNBs prices seem to steady. checked craigslist and there are few LNBs, as DISH usually takes them back.
Actually if you start looking you will find quite a few abandoned dishes with LNBs they just aren't worth much unless they are newer LNBs for HD dishes.

with the churn these days there are a lot of LNB's arround, if dish has 50+% returned then that will amount to a large amount of money but it is not worth removing them because a tech going out will cost 3 times as much as the part. So they want as many back as they can but if it involves work leave it. As a tech I love installs where the dish is allready on the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)