Dish wants to come out for a "courtesty" check, what's up?

BrunoPuntzJones

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Dish "Technical Support" called and wanted to schedule a service call to check out my equipment, see if everything is working right, etc. Under the guise of poor reception (big storm knocked it off for a bit a few days ago). They said the receiver (622).

Said they'd check the LNBF outside and connections inside.

So what's the deal? Been a customer for 7 or 8 years, never a problem. I'm on an older package I'm sure, back when it was...Turbo HD? Can't remember the exact package.

I don't see any reason for them to come out, definitely not inside. Not doing anything hinky, all straight up equipment and service.

This customary? Doubt them doing "courteous" checks for free doesn't have ulterior motives...

Edit: Let me add, it is a legitimate Dish call. The service call does show up in my account.

Last edited:
Is your receiver connected to your phone line? I remember people reporting such calls based on what the receiver said when it "phoned home".

I have had this happen as well. It's legitimate. (as a matter a fact I have one scheduled for Saturday AM).

It is based on the info the receiver phones home via phone or Internet.

I have had this happen as well. It's legitimate. (as a matter a fact I have one scheduled for Saturday AM).

This is what is going on. The report that the OP's receiver is sending us is showing an error somewhere, so this is legitimate

I got a call like this , a fews days after a service call to replace a bad lnb and switch. He wanted to check to make sure everything was working. I told him NO. Everything is fixed and there's no need for you to come out. No other phone calls.

LER said:

Sounds like one of your switches or lnbs are generating errors (run system info to see for yourself)....

Is the customer charged for these kinds of tech visits? If so, is the charge based upon whether or not the customer has the protection plan which I believe is $15 with or $99 w/o? (I'm not up to digging around for the specific fees at this moment.)

Eric

back when i worked for an rsp, I went out on several of these (usually lnb drift, low signals or internal hardware issue with receiver). Not aware of customers ever being charged for one, that's something they would have to tell the customer when setting up the appointment.

I am a DNS tech.. I go out on a few of these.. Most of the time it is low signal levels.. But it could be something else..

They came out to my house awhile back. It cost me nothing and they replaced boh of my Dishes and the dual lnb. Plus they move the dishes to another location for better grounding. Did a first class neat job and I was very happy with the improved picture. Go for it.

I'm a "mover" and have been for years. I do all my own installs, replacements etc. I have never had a tech come out unless I asked them to , after "moving "home of course.

I'm a "mover" and have been for years. I do all my own installs, replacements etc. I have never had a tech come out unless I asked them to , after "moving "home of course.
It was actually an August 8th push .... I think someone finally got through to Dish that enough people were pissed off for bad signals .. regardless of cause and Dish not taking care of it .. or that they were switching *away* from Dish Network with the leaving remarks of "always loosing signal" etc..

I put out a rant/gripe some time back.. that dish *does* get this information... and they could collect a lot more of it .. and *could* be much more PRO-active than they are.. at least its a step in the right direction..

i may be getting one of these calls then? have several transponders on 129 with mid 30s signal
its possible.. if they are calling as a courtesy ... and the posted notice said it was free ... I would not *call* dish and ask for it because then its most likely going to be billed ... but if they are calling you ... and you have nothing to fear from dish coming out (99.9% of us are probably good/no issues users) ... then just confirm "is there a charge for this?" and then accept them coming.. what's the worst that happens? they find nothing wrong? or they at the very least re-peake you ... I'd no problem in the older dual lnb days doing peaking myself.. but now with the three LNB EA .. I'm like F that ... cause if i mess it up by even a hair, I'd be out on something till I'd get dish in to fix.. :)

its possible.. if they are calling as a courtesy ... and the posted notice said it was free ... I would not *call* dish and ask for it because then its most likely going to be billed ... but if they are calling you ... and you have nothing to fear from dish coming out (99.9% of us are probably good/no issues users) ... then just confirm "is there a charge for this?" and then accept them coming.. what's the worst that happens? they find nothing wrong? or they at the very least re-peake you ... I'd no problem in the older dual lnb days doing peaking myself.. but now with the three LNB EA .. I'm like F that ... cause if i mess it up by even a hair, I'd be out on something till I'd get dish in to fix.. :)
i'm not gonna call them and i haven't because the picture is just fine. except when a shower comes through,which is no biggie.

I got a call once from Dish Tech, they said through their monitoring of signal strength they had deduced my dish or equipment needed some attention. I had not noticed anything, they came, fixed, and left.

They would have to do some serious explaining why they would want to see mine. Mine is a non-standard install. 3 dishes 1-.7 m, 2. primestar dish which gives me a .7m, 3. dish 500 on 77 since I get nada I watch from that bird. Just have it to keep the 722k happy.

i may be getting one of these calls then? have several transponders on 129 with mid 30s signal

If it is TP 1-16 with low signal you are just on the edge of a spot beam, a low signal would be normal since it is aimed a nearby city. On 129 it is TPs 17-32 that are used for national programming.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts