Dish - What to do about poor Sub Contractor's?

Technician1313

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New Mexico
I'm a DNS technician, and every other Tech in my area does an EXCELLENT job. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to turn to Sub Contractors to help us with overflow work. Most of the time, it's done by a specific company, and we end up having to completely redo their work.

It's not good for the customer's, and it's not good for the image of our company. I wish there was another solution, but unfortunately we have to use them.

I've personally seen this company use many parts that were not approved by Dish Network. One of the biggest incidents was when they used an unapproved flat cable to go through a window, and it caught on fire. Luckily, the customer caught it before it burnt her house down. (It literally shot flames up, and melted her plastic window.)

I feel that they are the most frustrating thing to deal with, and I want to figure out a solution. I've discussed it with my FSM, but I'm under the impression that there is not much we can do.

My FSM told me that if they get QUAS'd, they still get paid if they do a bad job. The only way they don't get paid is if they use unapproved parts. Unfortunately, it's a rural area, and I don't think they get QUAS'd enough to make them change their inventory. It's also disturbing that they can do the worst job ever, and have no consequences.

So, have any other Dish employees figured out a solution to this problem?

report every job with pictures of the crap work they do. Convince customers to file damage claims. we have ran out a few crappy subs that have wandered thru our area before

If the contractor does not drive a DISH NETWORK truck and does not wear a DISH NETWORK outfit, call customer service and request an installer who will for sure drive a DISH NETWORK truck with a outfit. We got the rights to get the best installation and service.

Well dish guys who drive dish vans and wears dish outfits can be just as bad. I had one who installed the mast on the roof the wrong way and could not get the customers system up and running so I (a Sub contractor) drove out there and had customer up and running in no time. or how about a dish person doing a service call on a customer who had no 110 signal. he replaced the switch, lnb, and stb but no go. the next day I went out there and replaced the 110 coax from lnb to switch and the customer was so pleased I made 50.00 tip. Not all sub contractor do bad work. I only use dish approved parts and always ground the system. BTW I do have a dish t-shirt and a dish hat.

Don't you guys get paid by the hour? If you want things changed start volunteering to pick up extra jobs so the subs won't get it, then get the rest of the shop to jump on board & you will eventually run these other guys off.

I also ran across alot of sloppy poor installs/service calls done by DNS when I worked as a sub. When on a t/c not long ago behind a in house tech who put up a 1000.4 EA with a nlos. There was not a los for any dish solution in this customers yard and some in house tech put up a dish that was 7 feet on a pole anyway. Of course, the customer called Dish with complaint of complete signal loss and I called my fsm who then gave the job back to in house. Me being a sub, wearing Dish Network gear apologized 1000 times to the customer for what he had endured the 7 days since he got installed and how a supervisor from in house would need to visit him and explain why a dish was installed in a nlos!

Where do these subs learn the trade?

What qualifies them to do work for DishTV?

Aren't they tested before they are sent out into the world?

I disagree. I had a licensed dishnetwork contractor who advised me to cancel due to the lack of LOS to 129. I paid a sub contractor to install the eastern arc dish and he did which dish network refused to install since I'm in LA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)