Dish Whole Home DVR

I agree much more with the possibility of making a timer be applied to all receivers. I don't deny, watching a recorded program from one receiver, and being able to watch it at another at times could be useful, but it for me would be rare. I say recorded, because if I am watching something live in one room, seems easy enough to wait for a commercial and then watch that program in the other room....OR plan ahead and leave the other receiver on the channel I will be watching when I come in. I actually do this for Around the Horn and PTI. I can only speak for myself of course, but a whole house system is nothing I am waiting for.

And to add to that, I would not want to give up having two receivers that can in total record four Sat channels, PLUS two OTA. Nor would I ever want just a 722 for instance, even if it could do 2nd tuner HD, because if it fails, no TV.

There no reason you would loose any current functionality, or receivers. We are talking about the ability for say, a 722 and 612, or 2 722's, to share recorded material seamlessly. You wouldn't have to give up any receivers. I don't quite understand what you are talking about.

A timer applied to all receivers would just use up 2 or 3 (or however many DVRs you have) times the amount of recording space. This is nothing more than having the ability to share recordings, as we already do between 2 tvs with 722s etc., between all tvs, in HD if wanted.

"A Whole Home DVR would have 3-4 satellite tuners, a *really* large hard drive, and the ability for EACH TV to watch any program in HD independent of what any other TV is watching. " From post number 10. This is what I understand the whole home system to be. Why would you need additional DVR receivers in each room? The cost of that whole home receiver I would think would require a premium like the 922 has, then add having other DVR's I would think to be quite pricey. And my point still stands. One DVR for the house spells doom to me.

Being able to set other DVR's in the house from one does two things, somewhat easier than going to the other DVR and setting it. It accomplishes pretty much what some seem to want. Leave one room and watch in another, though in a slightly different way, accomplishes pretty much the same thing. Plus, for something I don't want to miss, if one receiver fails, the other will record it.

It falls into the Nifty category to me, rather than that much more useful.

Follow now?

To me, a much better way is to watch any of your DVR's at whatever TV you at rather than one DVR at any TV. That is a much better and useful idea. The Hard drive idea isn't bad for that, an immediate way other than a slingbox idea (SD only) would be better. I thought Dish was going there when they added the DishCOMM, but maybe not.

Last edited:
"A Whole Home DVR would have 3-4 satellite tuners, a *really* large hard drive, and the ability for EACH TV to watch any program in HD independent of what any other TV is watching. "

The original post says "Any good rumors on when Dish might offer a Whole Home DVR service like Direct". Directs Whole Home DVR is just all the HD-DVRs and HD-Receivers sharing content. That is what I was talking about. E* should easily be able to share content between all HD-DVRs & HD recs. They already have the broadband communication over power lines in place.

The rumored Dish whole DVR was closer to what UVerse and some of the cable companies are doing now. 4 HDTVs off of one box. It was not just sharing recordings among DVRs (which would be a nice feature). Given Dish's current architecture 6 sat tuners and 2 OTA would not be out of the question. Record 6-8 shows at once would satisfy most households along with 4 TVs.

The original post says "Any good rumors on when Dish might offer a Whole Home DVR service like Direct". Directs Whole Home DVR is just all the HD-DVRs and HD-Receivers sharing content. That is what I was talking about. E* should easily be able to share content between all HD-DVRs & HD recs. They already have the broadband communication over power lines in place.

As Brad1138 answered.... What I described as in post #10 is what is rumored to be what would happen, and as I also understand it. That is what I based my answer on.
Maybe the better answer to the question then is, there is no rumor of a whole house plan like Direct has.... it may be a different set-up.

We have the TV2 on our VIP 722 connected to the coax 'network' in our house, and any other TV can use it which gives those TV's access to the DVR on the VIP 722. Isn't this 'whole house DVR' for the most part? And I can change the channel between 73 and 75 (I think that's how it's setup) to switch between TV1 and Tv2 which is nice.

Sam

We have the TV2 on our VIP 722 connected to the coax 'network' in our house, and any other TV can use it which gives those TV's access to the DVR on the VIP 722. Isn't this 'whole house DVR' for the most part? And I can change the channel between 73 and 75 (I think that's how it's setup) to switch between TV1 and Tv2 which is nice.

Sam

I think they are talking about whole house HD. Currently, one cannot do this over coax with E* receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts