Dish: Why screw up guide for OTA channels when you black out local channels???

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
The ABC and CW channels are currently blocked in the Kansas City market due to a conflict over fees. I understand why DISH is doing this, and I support their actions.

What I don't understand is why DISH insists on removing the guide data from the OTA instance of the blocked channels. If the intention is to irritate customers, then you've accomplished that.

It certainly diminishes DISH's claim of looking out for their customers...

Edit: Sorry. I see this has already been mentioned in the Hearst thread...

It's not Dish's doing.

Not buying this explanation. They have the guide data from Tribune. They could provided it if they wanted. They provide guide data for other OTA channels that are not carried on the satellite.

I'm not saying they don't copy the guide data. I'm saying they don't have to.

Not buying this explanation. They have the guide data from Tribune. They could provided it if they wanted. They provide guide data for other OTA channels that are not carried on the satellite.

I'm not saying they don't copy the guide data. I'm saying they don't have to.

I agree with you. I really doubt Dish gets a discount by not displaying a few stations in an area. I'm sure they get all information from Tribune, including the sub-channels. They are choosing not to display it.

Just spoke with a CS rep to complain. His explanation was that in the absence of a retransmission agreement, DISH could not legally provide the guide data since the guide data was also owned by Hearst.

I'm not buying this, either. Hearst licenses the guide data to Tribune. DISH pays Tribune for the use of the guide data.

Oh, well. It's not going to change. Just one more little quirk we all live with at DISH. The only effective way to complain is to pull the plug, and I'm not ready to do that yet.

We are pleased to announce that DISH and Hearst Television have reached a multi-year agreement and the channels will be restored by 11 AM MT.

In regards the the OTA guide info, it mirrors the channel that we provide, so the info is not available in these situations. There is nothing we can do to change this.

It's not Dish's doing.
It's completely Dish's doing. Obviously, you misread Hall's post. (through Dish-colored glasses.)

Dish deliberately copies LiL guide data to the OTA guide data, rather than providing the OTA data independently. Considering they do provide guide data for some sub-channels without apparent satellite counterparts, it is possible to provide OTA guide data independently. But, they choose not to.

From a business standpoint, you'd think that Dish would want to facilitate any possible alternative to the LiL's that cause them so much grief, and sow sympathy and loyalty from their customers.

We are pleased to announce that DISH and Hearst Television have reached a multi-year agreement and the channels will be restored by 11 AM MT.

In regards the the OTA guide info, it mirrors the channel that we provide, so the info is not available in these situations. There is nothing we can do to change this.
Nothing that a little software code can't fix.

Nothing that a little software code can't fix.
I'd suggest sending out the OTA guide (since OTA will be there even if a retransmission disagreement darkens the LIL) and mirroring it to the LIL. This might save a step or two in turning up new LILs as well.

No disrespect Matt, but you're giving the company line (if by "we", you mean DIRT or technical support, okay, we accept that :D ) - it would have been better if you'd have simply ignored this part. It doesn't have to mirror it. It can display it as provided to Dish by Tribune (just like it does with the "-02" and higher sub-channels).

We are pleased to announce that DISH and Hearst Television have reached a multi-year agreement and the channels will be restored by 11 AM MT. In regards the the OTA guide info, it mirrors the channel that we provide, so the info is not available in these situations. There is nothing we can do to change this.

Dish could provide PSIP data as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

From what I understand Program listings are copyrighted by the stations. If DISH does not carry the station they can not carry the listings. It does not matter if Tribune has the listings or not. DISH can not re distribute the stations copyrighted work without the stations permit.

Now as far as why do the DISH receivers not read the PSIP data, if Guide Data is not available is a different question to which I don't have the answer to.

They "carry" the listings for the sub-channels that are picked up by OTA, even during a dispute.

PSIP is unreliable - does any DVR system use it ? It's my understanding that DirecTV does not, TiVo does not, and so on. I doubt that it's a coincidence.

Dish DVR Pal does, and since TVGOS went away, it is the only remaining option.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

PSIP is unreliable - does any DVR system use it ? It's my understanding that DirecTV does not, TiVo does not, and so on. I doubt that it's a coincidence.
The Echostar manufactured Channel Master DVR+ uses PSIP data absent an Internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)