Dish + Wildblue = Winner ... what r the chances?

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
www.wildblue.com

I have been watching this company for a while now. It looks like they are finally going to lauch within the next 6 months. What are the chances that E* will align with Wild blue in some TV/Internet unstopable force. I know that SBC/E* are tight, but there are a whole bunch of places that are not DSL capable.

BSilvertab

The big problem is that NRTC is a major investor in Wildblue. Though Pegasus (and NRTC exclusivity) are gone, NRTC still has a long-term contract with D*, and its members still sell D*. OTOH, launching Wildblue alongside Direcway/Spaceway may be a big problem, which could drive NRTC over to the E* camp...

I wouldn't hold my breath about NRTC and Dish getting together. It was NRTC that filed a complaint to the FCC about AMC-15 testing Ka band at 117 W and 113 W although NRTC later did back down and retracted their complaint.

While I would love to get away from my cable company for broadband (they also contol DSL, so that is not an option), Wild Blue apparently wants $79.99 for 1.5MBps...which is what I get from cable for $39.99. Even having to maintain basic cable that I don't use to get it only makes the bill $57/mo. Other than that, it sounds like a nice service. Perhaps if they swung a deal with E* to soften that pricetag a bit, it would be worth considering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)