DISH wins a court battle (at least for now)

This is the DISH portion.

The Colorado case involves Brandon Coats, 33, a telephone operator for Englewood, Colo.-based Dish Network LLC. Coats was paralyzed in a car crash as a teenager and has been a medical marijuana patient in the state since 2009.
He was fired in 2010 for failing a company drug test, though his employer didn't claim he was ever impaired on the job.

Coats sued to get his job back, but a trial court dismissed his claim in 2011. The judge agreed with Dish Network that medical marijuana use isn't a "lawful activity" covered by a state law intended to protect cigarette smokers from being fired for legal behavior off the clock. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, more than half of all states have such laws.

Dish Network did not return a call seeking comment.

Sorry I thought that the article was pretty clear on DISH being the defandant here.

Nothing to be sorry for Chief. I just didn't read far enough into the article. Based on the subject matter of the article I mad an assumption that it was a bad link and also an ass of myself... :)

That decision sucks, regardless.
Due to criminal levels of nonsense litigation, companies are forced to adopt sweeping rules to transfer the blame.

You won't find many companies (private or public) that won't discharge you for failing a drug test; regardless of why you "failed".

This action by the plaintiff affirms that Pot does indeed impair the mind more than generally believed. Why in the world would any sober individual fight to get their lowly job back at "the worst place in the USA" to work? Well, that "worst" claim may be only the slightest of hyperbole from "Glass Ceiling," but Dish does have a really great records of making its employees feel pretty low, and this guy wants back in? He ought to sue the individual who sold him the Pot for ruining his critical thinking.

This action by the plaintiff affirms that Pot does indeed impair the mind more than generally believed. Why in the world would any sober individual fight to get their lowly job back at "the worst place in the USA" to work? Well, that "worst" claim may be only the slightest of hyperbole from "Glass Ceiling," but Dish does have a really great records of making its employees feel pretty low, and this guy wants back in? He ought to sue the individual who sold him the Pot for ruining his critical thinking.

They were not fighting to get their job back at the worst place to work on earth... They were fighting for a huge settlement with a job that they can quit later after they collect the big settlement.

mike123abc said:
They were not fighting to get their job back at the worst place to work on earth... They were fighting for a huge settlement with a job that they can quit later after they collect the big settlement.

Exactly

Only thing this idiot didn't figure is that Dish would spend more money to fight it than to settle.

typical, since the lower court didn't rule in our favor, lets take it higher. this will keep happening until there is no other appeal process.

I don't think it was smart for the Dish rep to compare the Hopper to a 1984 VCR. Those words could be twisted against them by competition. He seemed so happy that he didn't think about what he was saying. Oh well.

Last edited:
typical, since the lower court didn't rule in our favor, lets take it higher. this will keep happening until there is no other appeal process.
So you don't think that if Dish lost it's initial ruling that they wouldn't appeal? Appeals are all part of the game, and everyone plays it. And like you said, it won't stop until all appeals are exhausted.

I don't think it was smart for the Dish rep to compare the Hopper to a 1984 VCR. Those words could be twisted against them by competition. He seemed so happy that he didn't think about what he was saying. Oh well.

They compare it to the 1984 VCR since the VCR won the case before the supreme court allowing consumers to record shows and FF through commercials if they desired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts