Dish Wish List, but do they care?

dimitriz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Hello guys, I've been a Dish customer for a number of years and I am frustrated at their lack of innovation on their part. Some of the features that I am listing have been implemented by others and some have not but logically they make sense (at least to me anyways.)
If these are available then please let me know. Thanks

#1. Why do you have to press Pause to see the progress bar? Pressing Play should bring it up. This is not that hard to implement. Why not???

#2. Remote scheduling..., enough said.

#3. Limitations on DVR recordings.., Let just say I want to record this show 10 times ONLY. After which it will overwrite the oldest.

#4 Dual tuner TV receiver with only 1 HD out? In 722k you can record 4 HD channels yet you can play back only 1 HD.., brilliant. (It wouldn't be to bad if #5 was available)

#5 Network play (ReplayTV style). This one single resolution will bring then TONS of customers. (ie. Playing shows on vip211 from vip622)

BTW, Does anyone from Dish even read this forum?
Ohh well, enough whining for 1 day. :)

Thanks

#1. Why do you have to press Pause to see the progress bar? Pressing Play should bring it up. This is not that hard to implement. Why not??? -- Push right over key and it will give you time remaining. Seems that this is a personal request, not an epidemic problem.

#2. Remote scheduling..., enough said. -- Beta testing and I belive will be available when the 922 is released.

#3. Limitations on DVR recordings.., Let just say I want to record this show 10 times ONLY. After which it will overwrite the oldest. -- You can do this! When you set it up, tell it to keep the last 10 recordings, it's right at the bottom of the screen.

#4 Dual tuner TV receiver with only 1 HD out? In 722k you can record 4 HD channels yet you can play back only 1 HD.., brilliant. (It wouldn't be to bad if #5 was available) -- 922

#5 Network play (ReplayTV style). This one single resolution will bring then TONS of customers. (ie. Playing shows on vip211 from vip622) -- Slingbox

#1. Why do you have to press Pause to see the progress bar? Pressing Play should bring it up. This is not that hard to implement. Why not??? -- Push right over key and it will give you time remaining. Seems that this is a personal request, not an epidemic problem.

#2. Remote scheduling..., enough said. -- Beta testing and I belive will be available when the 922 is released.

#3. Limitations on DVR recordings.., Let just say I want to record this show 10 times ONLY. After which it will overwrite the oldest. -- You can do this! When you set it up, tell it to keep the last 10 recordings, it's right at the bottom of the screen.

#4 Dual tuner TV receiver with only 1 HD out? In 722k you can record 4 HD channels yet you can play back only 1 HD.., brilliant. (It wouldn't be to bad if #5 was available) -- 922

#5 Network play (ReplayTV style). This one single resolution will bring then TONS of customers. (ie. Playing shows on vip211 from vip622) -- Slingbox

#1 What is the Right over key? :confused:
#2 Aha.., thanks!
#3 Hmmm..., 922 ;) I might have to wait and use my DishitUp for that!
#4 Slingbox will never != ReplayTV like functionality. It will let you take over the usage of the box but nobody else can watch a show from it while you're using it (unless they watch the same thing). With 2 Replays you could connect to the 2nd box and watch stuff from it while the user on it was watching something else.

Thanks!

#1: "Select" brings up the banner, which has the time remaining in the corner. That's all I need.

#2: If you have a 622 or 722, go to SlingGuide Login and sign up for the Beta test

#3: as the guy above says, when you set up a time, change the "Maximum number of recordings"

#4: That is why they made the 612. Sorry, but programming providers won't allow ATSC modulation due to copyrights.

#5: I'm sure bandwidth limitations and copyright issues make this problematic. Replay USED to do this with SD. No one does it presently (though DirecTV is working on it). With their dual room DVRs, Dish presently has about the best implementation of this, aside from limited availability Telecos like Uverse.

And, yes, I'm sure Dish folks read the board, but to avoid getting fired, they don't post.

#1. Why do you have to press Pause to see the progress bar? Pressing Play should bring it up. This is not that hard to implement. Why not???

I would not want this feature. I sometimes capture video on my computer from my DVR. I do not want the progress bar to appear at the beginning of every clip, which it would if it automatically came up every time the PLAY button is pressed.

#2. Remote scheduling..., enough said.

Sign up for the SlingGuide beta. It isn't perfect yet, but it's pretty darn good. I don't think it will be much longer before it goes live to the general public. (I particularly enjoy changing the channel from my desk at work when my wife is at home trying to watch Oprah. :D)

#4 Dual tuner TV receiver with only 1 HD out? In 722k you can record 4 HD channels yet you can play back only 1 HD.., brilliant. (It wouldn't be to bad if #5 was available)

I'll want this, too, when I spring for an HD screen in the bedroom. Isn't this an HDCP restriction to prevent users from connecting a second digital output to a digital recording device (i.e., computer or DVD recorder)? That's my understanding.

#4: That is why they made the 612. Sorry, but programming providers won't allow ATSC modulation due to copyrights.

I just had an interesting thought on this. When / if they ever do turn off the analog spectrum, do you think the manufacturers will maintain an NTSC tuner for bacward compatability for situations such as this, or will modulated outputs become a thing of the past?

If they were to come out with ATSC (not necessarily HD)modulated units, home distribution pictures sure would look a lot better, don't 'ya think?

If they had 2 HDMIs out it would be workable. There are many boxes now that take HDMI and run it over 2 strands of Cat5/6 and some now that will do it over coax. Yes I know running new cat5/6/coax is impossible for some, but I suspect a large number of people could find a way if needed. The sling will go a long ways to handling this on the 922. It would be nice if you could sling both TV2 and TV3 on it...

If they had 2 HDMIs out it would be workable. There are many boxes now that take HDMI and run it over 2 strands of Cat5/6 and some now that will do it over coax. Yes I know running new cat5/6/coax is impossible for some, but I suspect a large number of people could find a way if needed. The sling will go a long ways to handling this on the 922. It would be nice if you could sling both TV2 and TV3 on it...

Well that's interesting. I'm on lunch right now, I'll have to google... now all that's needed is an HDMI output for the 2nd tv :)

#4 Slingbox will never != ReplayTV like functionality. It will let you take over the usage of the box but nobody else can watch a show from it while you're using it (unless they watch the same thing). With 2 Replays you could connect to the 2nd box and watch stuff from it while the user on it was watching something else.

Thanks!

Actually according to the CES the " Echostar 922 Sling-loaded VIP Duo tuning DVR Set Top Box " (that is the full name we were actually told to use during the ATM at our LSC) has a third built in tuner for sling that will not take over either TV1 or TV2 when remotely accessed.

Actually according to the CES the " Echostar 922 Sling-loaded VIP Duo tuning DVR Set Top Box " (that is the full name we were actually told to use during the ATM at our LSC) has a third built in tuner for sling that will not take over either TV1 or TV2 when remotely accessed.

Sweet!!! That will definitely help my cause out!

Right now I got 1 vip622 going to 3 HDTV's and 1 SDTV and it kind of sucks that you can only watch 1 thing on all of them.

VIP622 (HDMI) > Monoprice 4x2 matrix > 52" LCD and 23" LCD (both with 25ft HDMI cables)
VIP622 (Component) > 26" LCD (25ft cable)
VIP622 (Composite) > 26" TV.

I'll want this, too, when I spring for an HD screen in the bedroom. Isn't this an HDCP restriction to prevent users from connecting a second digital output to a digital recording device (i.e., computer or DVD recorder)? That's my understanding.

It has nothing to do with that. They could flag do not copy the way just as they put macrovision controls on certain PPV and premium content out of the SD analog outputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)