Dish without locals

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I live near Gainesville, fl where E* just made locals available. I am about to sign up with E*, but I was wondering if it was possible to get a package without locals. I have a large antenna and get digital reception of 3 out of the 4 locals carried by E*, CBS, FOX, and PBS. The other, ABC, is analog but a very strong signal. Also, if I can do this could I still get a national NBC, because there is no local NBC in my area?

One more thing. If I can get the packages without locals, what would be the prices compared to with locals?

You are under no obligation to subscribe to locals. All of the TV towers for the Des Moines market are just north of Ankeny,where I live, so with rabbit ears, I get crystal clear receiption of the Des Moines locals.

Without locals, each package is $5.00 cheaper, click here http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/packages/index.shtmlfor a comparison of each package with and without locals:

I'll defer your question about being able to get a national NBC feed to somebody who's more knowledgeable than me :D

bowens said:
I live near Gainesville, fl where E* just made locals available. I am about to sign up with E*, but I was wondering if it was possible to get a package without locals. I have a large antenna and get digital reception of 3 out of the 4 locals carried by E*, CBS, FOX, and PBS. The other, ABC, is analog but a very strong signal. Also, if I can do this could I still get a national NBC, because there is no local NBC in my area?

One more thing. If I can get the packages without locals, what would be the prices compared to with locals?

You'd have to own your equipment to bypass locals... and with MPEG 4 on the horizon, I'd lease anything I'd get from Dish.

With all of the installed base that thre is out there, MPEG4 won't be completely implemented for 4-5 years. It is not even out there on any Dish receiver yet.

The Dishplayer is five years old. They are still using it. Only the 2000 is dead.

Just checked the DMA, there is no NBC present there.
I checked the Dish Network Locals page at https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/processAddress.do?JSESSIONID=CLz9T8bBW30mUvsfbimrolx2NZjCWvoolwKtMUMxUBPbDmwArXQ2!-1287745995!-193161792#mustcarrylinkanchor
And for Gainesville you can choose up to 2 NBC's from the following five cities (WTLV-Jacksonville, WXIA-Atlanta, WNBC-New York, WMAQ-Chicago, & KNBC-Los Angeles) for $1.50/ea.

If for some reason you wanted the local package, it is only $4.99/month for Jacksonville and requires Superdish 121.
As was said earlier, if you go with a DHA plan, locals are included.

Can I get locals from another city even though Gainesville offers them? If so that would be great because then I could get WB and UPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)