dish won't let me add vip 612 to new account

catman60

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
michigan
going to get set up with dish as a new account .i was going with 1 hopper ,1 joey and then my own VIP 612. my local retailer said a red flag came up and said i couldn't add the 612. could i add it on my own after a few days after the initial set up

You're going to have to get rid of that Hopper and Joey before you can add your 612 to your account. ;) Do as I did and get two 612's.

IIRC, the fee for a Hopper/Joey is $12+$7, while two 612's will set you back only $7+$10 per month.

You can add up to 2 211 family receivers with a hopper account. That is the only mixing. Also cannot add a superjoey(even if you own the equipment) to a 2+ hopper setup.

As said before, the 211 receiver is the only receiver you can have on a Hopper account. You can up to two 211 receivers and they must both be purchased. If all you need is a single HD DVR then you can purchase a 211 and get an external hard drive to turn it into a DVR. Dish charges a one time $40 fee.

The answer everyone is giving you is that you can only add to an account with a hopper, Joeys and/or up to two vip 211 receivers. Owning equipment has no bearing.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ChadT41
It's not a technical reason, it's an anti-stacking reason. They allow 211's for tailgating/camping purposes.
I cannot see what difference that it makes, as to whether or not a 211, 222, 622, 612, 722 or 922 is going to be more "account stack" prone than any other type of equipment. Seems kind of dumb to me. Doing this mainly to sell tailgater systems, and the fact that they don't want to have to install switches or multiple dish setups.

The Hopper is such a superior receiver compared to the VIP series. With the VIP you can only get hdtv on 1 tv and the 2nd is in sd. With the Hopper, up to 4 in hd from a single Hopper. 3 sat tuners plus ota with the module. I have 2 HWS's and can watch what's on the internal hd on each of them from any other Joey/Hopper in the house. With the new software, if I use all the tuners in1 for recording and I schedule another, instead of a conflict, it will ask me if I want to have the other HWS record it.
If you would like to watch hd tv on more than 1 tv in the house. Bite the bullet and get a Hopper and sell the 612.

Reactions: JTBenson
I cannot see what difference that it makes, as to whether or not a 211, 222, 622, 612, 722 or 922 is going to be more "account stack" prone than any other type of equipment. Seems kind of dumb to me. Doing this mainly to sell tailgater systems, and the fact that they don't want to have to install switches or multiple dish setups.

Account stacking may just be part of the reason. I think the real reason is to avoid confusion and avoid unnecessary service calls by having a mixture of equipment. Do you know how hard it would be for a CSR to troubleshoot a customer with a Hopper, Super Joey, 722 and a 612?

Reactions: KAB
Plus, most RV systems cater towards the 211 line. Not saying other receivers won't work, but it does appear to be the majority

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts