DISH1000 signal Pacific Northwest

Tom Bombadil said:
I would not be satisfied with any signal strength readings of around 65-70. I get readings of around 115-120 from 119. I only lose lock during strong storms. I guarantee one will be losing their signal lock a lot more often if they are only getting 65-70 on a clear day.
Tom, I have continuous drop-outs all during the day while the sun is shining with the 129 satellite. So you can imagine with all the rain we get here in Western Washington what its like!!!

110 - 79
119 - 99
129 - 63

This is with my D1000 and I'm located in Olympia, WA, about 60 miles south of Seattle. It's presently 14 degrees outside and very clear. *burr*

Even in January, when we had many days of heavy rain, I only had sporadic rainouts 2-3 times for only a minute or less. I don't have many problems with the Voom channels on 129...not to say that I haven't had problems, particularly during periods of heavy rain, but I'm not going to go to two D500's.

I'm in Port Orchard across Puget Sound about 10 miles west of South Seattle. I peaked my Dish 1000 on 129 and am getting a low of 58 on TP's 8 and 13 and a high of 76 on TP 6. My average of all TP's is about 67.

I have a 721 and a 921. I get dropouts all the time, even on clear days. If it's raining, forget it. Very frustrating after paying $116 / month.

I emailed Tech Support about the low signal but got no response. It would be nice if Dish would at least acknowledge the problem and tell us what they plan on doing about it. I recommend that everyone with this problem email Dish so they become very aware of it. If you get any response please post it.

Later info: I received the following response from Dish 2/22.

"Thank you for your email. Seattle lies on the outskirt of our 129 orbital foot-print. This accounts for the lower than usual signal. At this time, there is no correction. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Dish Network,
Bethani A.
Technical Support"

It appears they're aware of the problem but have no resolution yet. I will ask what they plan on doing about it in the future.

Last edited:
long_time_DNC said:
110 - 79
119 - 99
129 - 63

This is with my D1000 and I'm located in Olympia, WA, about 60 miles south of Seattle. It's presently 14 degrees outside and very clear. *burr*

Even in January, when we had many days of heavy rain, I only had sporadic rainouts 2-3 times for only a minute or less. I don't have many problems with the Voom channels on 129...not to say that I haven't had problems, particularly during periods of heavy rain, but I'm not going to go to two D500's.

Well I guess you won't be sharing in our multi billion $ settlement with echostar then will you?? :rolleyes: :hungry:

So, is this the best we can expect from 129, or is there a chance that Dish could boost the power off of this bird?

If not, then I'm very surprised that Dish would roll out a national service on such an iffy transport. Not just in the NW, but pretty much anywhere that gets a fair amount of rain.

I'm in the same boat with dropouts and low signals here 22 miles north of Seattle. I'm scheduled for a 622 install on Tuesday 2/21 and had originally requested a 500 be added so I could pick up 148. While they are here I plan to have them point it at 129 instead. Am I better off swapping the 1000 for a 500 too?

cebbigh said:
I'm in the same boat with dropouts and low signals here 22 miles north of Seattle. I'm scheduled for a 622 install on Tuesday 2/21 and had originally requested a 500 be added so I could pick up 148. While they are here I plan to have them point it at 129 instead. Am I better off swapping the 1000 for a 500 too?
Yeah you lose some signal strength on 110 & 119 switching from a 500 to a D1000.

What I discovered on the roof

Well it warmed up today so I pulled out the ladder to see if I could see what the problem might be. Well I discovered cables stretched out all over the place, my nice drip loops from when I installed the dish 500 were gone. there must of been at least a dozen unused cable ties strewn about ( I've been wondering why I keep picking them up in the driveway). And to top it off I can move the dish an inch in either direction. I'm not sure what happened but most of the anchors on the mounting plate were loose. The installer mounted the new dish to the original mast which seems like it should be adequate but I think I read some where that the mast needed to be replaced. I have never allowed anyone to install my equipment prior to this and now I know why. When I got my 811 I met the installer at the door and told him thank you very much, I guess I should have done that again. I do not want to believe that the installer loosened the anchors but it was very obvious and you would think that he at least would of said something. I now have zero confidence in the work that was done and plan on replacing all of the cables, remounting the mast and peaking the dish myself. I'll let everyone know what my signals are like with a proper install.

Last edited:
mkephart said:
I can move the dish an inch in either direction. I'm not sure what happened but most of the anchors on the mounting plate were loose. The installer mounted the new dish to the original mast which seems like it should be adequate but I think I read some where that the mast needed to be replaced.

The mast does not need to be replaced. 1000 masts are the same as 500s. Sometimes installers do not tighten the bolts all the way. I find those particular dishes from time to time while refraining from puking all over their work. I believe it's because they take the bolts in with a regular handheld nut driver and leave it without changing to a socket wrench (or regular wrench) for the final tightening of the bolts. And some don't tighten the thru bolt enough or at all. They figure it's good enough and are too damn lazy to take a few extra "seconds" out of their day to finish wrenching it down. Sorry you got a bad one.

Ok, today it's warmer (not 14 degrees like it was Sunday morning) and it's overcast. The screen reads:

110 - 84
119 - 93
129 - 61

So, 110 is 5 points higher than yesterday, 119 is 6 points lower than yesterday and 129 is 2 points lower than yesterday.

121 won't lock-on, but it hits in 91-92 range. That's interesting...

From overcast Lake Union in Seattle with 40 degrees of temperature,

110 = 80-81
119 = 97-98
129 = 68-70

Voom channels have been nice and stable for the last 30 minutes. (Meaning since I've had my TV on, not meaning that there was a problem previously.)

Last edited:
Dish Sent Another Tech

I received a call from a Dish recommended shop and he asked if he could send out a tech to my house to evaluate my situation and run some tests. The tech arrived at 1:00 pm and discussed the problems I am having with the 129 Satellite. He then tried various tests to check signal readings which he admitted were low. He contacted his boss and discussed the situation with him and was told to install a separate dish dedicated to the 129 Satellite. He used a 500 dish attached to the 300 mounting hardware to mount a single LNB. He completed the job in about an hour and a half and I was happy with the results. I took readings of the 129 Satellite on the various channels and transponders between 6:45 pm and 7:05 pm tonight as follows: ESPN2 HD...TP19...73%__UNIHD 9426...TP19...80%__UNIHD 9427...TP19...80%__Rave...TP30...69%__Equator HD...TP23...69%__Gallery HD...TP3...71%__Treasure HD...TP11...67%__Animania HD...TP23...76%__ World Cinema HD...TP11...69%__Rush HD...TP3...73%__World Sport HD...TP11...69%__Ultra HD...TP31...82%__Kung Fu...TP30...75%__Film Fest HD...TP3...75%__Monster HD...TP23...78%__HD News...TP30...75%__Game Play HD...TP31...83%__Family HD...TP31...83%__D1000...TP17...78%. Now I will see what happens during the rain that we are expecting the next few days or so!!! No drop-outs so far today since the installation.

My first post here. I just had my 622 and dish 1000 installed on friday, and I'm getting awfull signal strength. Low 80's for 119 and 110, 56 for 129, and thats on a sunny day. On my old dish 500, 119 was around 100. The tech is comming out tomm to look things over, but I'm not to hopeful. 129 has a beautiful picture but pixles up and freezes often, I have to reboat the 622 to get it to come back.

Now my wife has called and said the 622 will not turn off, the tv is not getting a picture or sound, and the unit is really hot...... so much for HD...

pinkey2u said:
I received a call from a Dish recommended shop and he asked if he could send out a tech to my house to evaluate my situation and run some tests. The tech arrived at 1:00 pm and discussed the problems I am having with the 129 Satellite. He then tried various tests to check signal readings which he admitted were low. He contacted his boss and discussed the situation with him and was told to install a separate dish dedicated to the 129 Satellite. He used a 500 dish attached to the 300 mounting hardware to mount a single LNB. He completed the job in about an hour and a half and I was happy with the results. I took readings of the 129 Satellite on the various channels and transponders between 6:45 pm and 7:05 pm tonight as follows: ESPN2 HD...TP19...73%__UNIHD 9426...TP19...80%__UNIHD 9427...TP19...80%__Rave...TP30...69%__Equator HD...TP23...69%__Gallery HD...TP3...71%__Treasure HD...TP11...67%__Animania HD...TP23...76%__ World Cinema HD...TP11...69%__Rush HD...TP3...73%__World Sport HD...TP11...69%__Ultra HD...TP31...82%__Kung Fu...TP30...75%__Film Fest HD...TP3...75%__Monster HD...TP23...78%__HD News...TP30...75%__Game Play HD...TP31...83%__Family HD...TP31...83%__D1000...TP17...78%. Now I will see what happens during the rain that we are expecting the next few days or so!!! No drop-outs so far today since the installation.

Is this with a 1000/500 combo or 500/500?

sprocket24659 said:
My first post here. I just had my 622 and dish 1000 installed on friday, and I'm getting awfull signal strength. Low 80's for 119 and 110, 56 for 129, and thats on a sunny day. On my old dish 500, 119 was around 100. The tech is comming out tomm to look things over, but I'm not to hopeful. 129 has a beautiful picture but pixles up and freezes often, I have to reboat the 622 to get it to come back.

Now my wife has called and said the 622 will not turn off, the tv is not getting a picture or sound, and the unit is really hot...... so much for HD...

Did you get it to restore?

sprocket24659 said:

Sprocket where are you located?

cebbigh said:
Is this with a 1000/500 combo or 500/500?
cebbigh, It was originally a Dish 1000 with two Dish 411 HD receivers. They removed the 129 LNB from the Dish 1000 and installed it on a dedicated Dish 500 sat dish with the 300 mounting attachments to provide mounting of the 129 LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)