Dishes we have seen -- post yours!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I spray mine with Teflon lube from Lowes, and snow doesn't even stick to them. It goes on wet, and dries, which leaves a coating that's water repellant.

Cheap, and works on chain driven devices as chain lube also. http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-3996...e&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=teflon+lube&facetInfo=

036121191570.jpg <<< Click that pic!

Will it work on a mesh BUD?

I'm not sure as I haven't yet tried it. We didn't get any snow here until yesterday, and I'm working night shift now and haven't had a chance to spray it. All the snow from yesterday melted anyway, when the non-stop rains came...

I don't see why it wouldn't work, as it dries to a wax-like coating that's slippery.

Here is a pic of my setup. I finally got the birdview put up today. No lnbf or alignment yet, but that is easy compared to getting that dish on the pole. I've had the dish for a year and a half, and it was probably sitting on the ground for 15 years, so I had some work to do. Had to replace all of the struts, added a reed sensor and bore out the scalar. I'm glad to finally have it up so I can take down my WSI 6' dish.

I didn't see this mentioned, but this is what I did a couple of years ago.

Put your OWN ad on craigs list.

Take a picture of any dish in town, doesn't matter what the size, and run an ad on CL asking people if they have a dish "like this one," and mention that you will remove and repair what-ever hole you leave.

I did that a few years ago and got about a dozen answers. Most were small Dishnet and DirecT dishes, but in among all that stuff were two dishes that were moved to our home. I believe I posted that story when it happened, even posted a pic of one of the dishes on my PU truck.

I DID remove all the dishes that were offered, even the smaller one's, but hey, if you offer, you gotta do it.

The funniest thing was the one question that would pop up when Phottoette and I went out was ... "What are you going to charge me to remove this thing?"

Photto

A wood and mesh Ku band dish I built, it worked but not as well as i hoped

P1010163.jpg

The water level is 3 ft above normal
P1020757.jpg

Where does the water stop? the water is about 2" from the dish fortunately the wind and waves didn't come up, the dish kept working
P1020779-1.jpg

An article about a new NSA datacenter being built mentioned that the NSA had some 105-foot dishes (three in PA, three on the west coast). I didn't believe it, then figured I'd check google maps to see if I can find it (or at least a big blurred out area).

Just look at the size of that sucker!

http://goo.gl/maps/G7flI

Attachments

• 105 footer.jpg
    105 footer.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 229
An article about a new NSA datacenter being built mentioned that the NSA had some 105-foot dishes (three in PA, three on the west coast). I didn't believe it, then figured I'd check google maps to see if I can find it (or at least a big blurred out area).

If you click on the Google maps link in your posting, and then measure the dish against Google's map reference in the bottom left corner, that dish only appears to be 50 feet wide maximum.

As a check, I also used one of the cars on the ground behind the building to check for size. I assumed 10 feet length for the car. and if so, that also would show a dish size of about 50 feet maximum... Still a good size, but not 105 feet.

If you click on the Google maps link in your posting, and then measure the dish against Google's map reference in the bottom left corner, that dish only appears to be 50 feet wide maximum.

As a check, I also used one of the cars on the ground behind the building to check for size. I assumed 10 feet length for the car. and if so, that also would show a dish size of about 50 feet maximum... Still a good size, but not 105 feet.

I read the NSA story and they really are 32 meter dishes which is about 105 feet. http://www.stvinc.com/project.aspx?id=384&ser=9&i=1

I went to see the Au Doc motel manager in my town and asked him if I could take his eight foot dish ( I was sure it hasn't work for a long time ) and said "sure".

51415_r720_540.jpg

It's been quite a hard job to do alone but now it's in my backyard. :D

100_3974.JPG

we have Edward Jones offices up here in Canada too. A nice 1.8m Prodelin @ an office in my town.

Attachments

• Photo0004.jpg
    Photo0004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo0005.jpg
    Photo0005.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 158
  • Photo0009.jpg
    Photo0009.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 177
we have Edward Jones offices up here in Canada too. A nice 1.8m Prodelin @ an office in my town.

I've been eyeing the EJ dish in Newington CT. It's low enough that it might be removed with a ladder, but alas I have nowhere to put it (if they even let me take it away). Maybe if I talk to my father nicely it could go into the basement below the new addition on his house...

I noticed COX in Manchester has a few dishes no longer in use, including one around 15 feet or so (missing LNBs and the RG-11 is cut). Maybe when I win the lottery...

kittyhas1000legs is right. I live less than ten miles from these and they are HUGE, easily 105ft as stated! Been there quite a while too. Remember you could see them in the distance when I was young going to visit my grandparents, used to creep me out back then. Drove past them with my kids a few years ago. Interesting names for the roads up there too: Kennedy Rd, Eisenhower Rd, Truman Avenue...... :rolleyes:

I made wooden stand or balcony for 2 antennas. Yes, balcony is almost too small for 1,2m Gregorian. :D

Attachments

• P1300870 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    P1300870 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 147
  • P1300857 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    P1300857 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 164
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)