DishHD Absolute Question

Well, I wanted to switch to the Absolute HD package, but it will not show the equivalent Disney HD channels on 172 and 174 on our SD 501 receiver.
I called Dish to inquire and went through a 54 minute process to be told that they would have to send it off to the engineers. They asked that I call back in one week!
The CS and supervisor have no clue...

That is correct, the 129, 142, 172, 174, 208, 239 and maybe others are not available as SD channels on MPEG 2 receivers. When the 20 new channels were added there were about 10 of them that did not have the SD equivalent available.

Hey guys
Thinking about switching to DishHD absolute, but not sure if I should do this before Aug 1 new packages, or after.
I currently have a 622 and a 625 receiver. So Im assuming i need to Dish it up or buy a 622/722 to replace my 625.
Next, my DMA does not have HD LiL, but if I pay the 5 bucks for local channels, will I still get the SD channels over the dish and see my HD locals OTA in the guide?

Thanks
John

Hey guys
Thinking about switching to DishHD absolute, but not sure if I should do this before Aug 1 new packages, or after.
I currently have a 622 and a 625 receiver. So Im assuming i need to Dish it up or buy a 622/722 to replace my 625.
Next, my DMA does not have HD LiL, but if I pay the 5 bucks for local channels, will I still get the SD channels over the dish and see my HD locals OTA in the guide?

Thanks
John

You should. Network programming is the same for SD/HD locals. If the program info isn't shown for the HD channel, you would have to access the SD channel in the guide. Some of my local HD channels are not on Dish, but I still get program info (the same info as shown for the SD equivalent).

Dish often has the wrong info on PBS channels (both SD and HD) and many of the local non-network channels have "digital service" as the program info -- i.e. they have no info available.

You get SD locals if you sub to locals with HD Absolute.

It is really a great deal, unless there is an SD only channel the you "MUST" have.

Hey guys

Thanks
John

I get my 622 to replace my 625 tomorrow. I am glad I am signing up before 8/1. As long as they continue to add new HD channels to this package as they come out, I can live without my RSN.

Ted

I am glad I am signing up before 8/1. As long as they continue to add new HD channels to this package as they come out, I can live without my RSN.

Ted

Me, too!

The HD package is a bargain @ $29.99 even though I have to sacrifice my RSN's. So far it hasn't been a problem -- Kings (L.A.) didn't get in the NHL playoffs and I hate the Ducks (who did get in). And now it's baseball season and I can see the Dodgers lose enough on the local broadcasts without seeing them lose on the RSN. I could care less about the Angels...
However, when the HD package disappears (probably 2/1/09), I will likely take the RSN's if both SD and HD are included (too many games still in SD). That will mean an increase of 67% to $49.99, but it would increase anyway by 33% to $39.99 just to keep the channels I already had...no longer a great bargain, but still a pretty good deal!

Last edited:
....However, when the HD package disappears (probably 2/1/09), I will likely take the RSN's if both SD and HD are included (too many games still in SD). That will mean an increase of 67% to $49.99, but it would increase anyway by 33% to $39.99 just to keep the channels I already had...no longer a great bargain, but still a pretty good deal!
Hmmm..

If I read the press release correctly the equivalent* of the current dishHD Absolute package will cost $49.99 because you have to sub TurboHD Gold to get most of the HD channels and add "TurboHD Platinum" to get the ones without corresponding SD channels.
TurboHD Gold: $39.99/month or $44.99/month with locals channels*

TurboHD Platinum: $10/month – add TurboHD Platinum to any qualifying package and receive HD channels that do not have corresponding SD channels.....

Talon Dancer

* Yes I know that Dish has already announced 5 new HD channels that are not in the current dishHD Absolute package. The other twelve are available to anyone with any HD package who subs the appropriate premium packages.

Hmmm..

If I read the press release correctly the equivalent* of the current dishHD Absolute package will cost $49.99 because you have to sub TurboHD Gold to get most of the HD channels and add "TurboHD Platinum" to get the ones without corresponding SD channels.
TurboHD Gold: $39.99/month or $44.99/month with locals channels*

TurboHD Platinum: $10/month – add TurboHD Platinum to any qualifying package and receive HD channels that do not have corresponding SD channels.....

Talon Dancer

* Yes I know that Dish has already announced 5 new HD channels that are not in the current dishHD Absolute package. The other twelve are available to anyone with any HD package who subs the appropriate premium packages.

From what I hear, the RSN's come with the Turbo Gold package @ $39.99 and the Turbo Platinum is $10.00 for a total of $49.99. If that is true, the increase will be 67% but will now include RSN's.

The press release was unclear in that it said RSN's were included in the Turbo Gold Dish DVR Advantage package, but were not shown as an inclusion in the regular Gold Turbo package. Another document I got on the press release thread indicates RSN's are included.

"From the slide on the retail chat (click), it looks like as long as you sub to Turbo Silver or Turbo Gold, you can get your RSNs (however they are not in the bronze tier). It doesn't say anything on the slide about needing to sub to DVR advantage to get the RSNs."

07-11-2008, 04:35 PM
dmendenjr
Pub Member / Supporter

(The (click) shown above brings up the slide indicated in the press release thread.

From what I hear, the RSN's come with the Turbo Gold package @ $39.99 and the Turbo Platinum is $10.00 for a total of $49.99. If that is true, the increase will be 67% but will now include RSN's....
Dang! I hate subsidizing sports voyeurs :) In fact this is one of the most attractive things about the current dishHD Absolute package -- low price, with (perhaps due to) NO RSNs. :eek:

Talon Dancer

Dang! I hate subsidizing sports voyeurs :) In fact this is one of the most attractive things about the current dishHD Absolute package -- low price, with (perhaps due to) NO RSNs. :eek:

Talon Dancer

Yeah, they could have just offered RSN's as a $10 ad-on, but then they wouldn't have gotten their $10 from you and others that don't want RSN's.

When it comes to money, Charlie usually makes the best decision...for Charlie! ;)

Yeah, they could have just offered RSN's as a $10 ad-on, but then they wouldn't have gotten their $10 from you and others that don't want RSN's.

When it comes to money, Charlie usually makes the best decision...for Charlie! ;)
Well, Charlie is unlikely to ever get any money from me for RSNs, even if he lumps them in with channels I might like to see. I dislike subsidizing sports channels so much, that when the time comes, I'll probably opt for the highest level HD package WITHOUT RSNs :)

Even then, if Charlie thinks I'll be paying more than $50/mo for a bunch of pseudo HD TV channels, he has another think coming. I'd drop Dish (and any other paid TV "service") in a New York second if I could get locals OTA without a 200' high mast.

Talon Dancer

I just switched to the HD Absolute Package. The customer service rep who helped me not only was nice enough to explain the situation with getting grandfathered in after 8/1 due to TurboHD packages, but she also waived the $5 downgrade fee.

My DISH'n It Up upgrade went flawless as well. Very easy compared to when I upgraded DVRs with D* a couple years ago. I have been getting very good customer service from Dish lately. What up wit' dat? :D

Ted

can you explain the grandfathering in? I want my father-in-law to get my package, All HD + locals for $40 with taxes.... I know so little about the new changes coming up though. If you sign up now, does that mean Dish is not going to charge the rates of their new plan in 2 months (bill cycle)?

can you explain the grandfathering in? I want my father-in-law to get my package, All HD + locals for $40 with taxes.... I know so little about the new changes coming up though. If you sign up now, does that mean Dish is not going to charge the rates of their new plan in 2 months (bill cycle)?

If you sign up for DISH HD Absolute before 8/1, you get the $29.99 plan price until February 2009. On 8/1 and after, you have to sign up for one of the TurboHD packages which have potentially higher pricing. Hope that clears it up some.

Ted

Last edited:
Well, Charlie is unlikely to ever get any money from me for RSNs, even if he lumps them in with channels I might like to see. I dislike subsidizing sports channels so much, that when the time comes, I'll probably opt for the highest level HD package WITHOUT RSNs :)

Even then, if Charlie thinks I'll be paying more than $50/mo for a bunch of pseudo HD TV channels, he has another think coming. I'd drop Dish (and any other paid TV "service") in a New York second if I could get locals OTA without a 200' high mast.

Talon Dancer

I get close to 50 locals and the HD channels have excellent PQ. But, I am a sports fan and I need ESPN (1 & 2), Versus and the NHL channel. HD Net is pretty cool, too and they have NHL games on Thursday and Saturday. I could live without the tennis channel and the golf channel if I really had to.

I did compromise by losing my RSN's when I decided to get the HD Absolute package and I am glad I did!

However, I am not ready to give up the other channels (above) cold turkey... :)

Hello people, they no longer have the Dish Absolute package available for subscription.
Can't even find it using the search engine at Dishnetwork.com. I guess I was the last one in the door. I got a 722 receiver and am watching it on two standard def TVs. there is a button on the remote that allows you to "stretch" the HD picture so there are no black bars...