DishHD Absolute Question

If you subscribe to the HD ONLY package, ....
Just to beat a dead horse one more time....

The Dish site still labels this package "dishHD". My Dish bill labels this package "dishHD". AFAIK there is not now, nor has there ever been, a reference on the Dish website or Dish documentation that labels this package as "HD ONLY"*. "HD ONLY" is a descriptive term used by people in these forums to emphasize their interpretation of what is (or should be) included in this package.

FWIW I wish this package were "HD ONLY" but it is not now, nor has it ever been. The future may be another story :)

Talon Dancer - a dishHD subscriber since its inception

* if I am wrong, please post the link. I will be happy to post a retraction.

I don't have a problem upgrading to an HD tv , But what good is that going to do if I still have to watch SD programming on my 2nd TV from my 622? TV's aren't the issue, Its that SD output E* has on their Dual room receivers that some of us seem to forget.
Most of the supposed "HD" being sent to us is upscaled anyway so downscaling to 480p and latting a 720p lcd panel rescale it is not going to hurt anything anyway.

Two notes specifically here:

1) If you are watching TV2 on an analog 4:3, putting a 720p lcd panel is going to look MUCH better and it will be the right format.

2) If you are going to just go ahead and put a 1080p 40" or bigger there in place of the analog, then get two 612s and watch "HD" on both.

It really isn't that hard.

TV2 is not a problem unless you want to make it one.

FWIW I wish this package were "HD ONLY" but it is not now, nor has it ever been. The future may be another story :)
I think when it was announced informally that it would be available, it was referred to as the HD Only package and that is how 99% of us have ordered it.

Based on the channels available and not available, that is how it should be referred to just to be safe!

Most of the supposed "HD" being sent to us is upscaled anyway so downscaling to 480p and latting a 720p lcd panel rescale it is not going to hurt anything anyway.

Two notes specifically here:

1) If you are watching TV2 on an analog 4:3, putting a 720p lcd panel is going to look MUCH better and it will be the right format.

2) If you are going to just go ahead and put a 1080p 40" or bigger there in place of the analog, then get two 612s and watch "HD" on both.

It really isn't that hard.

TV2 is not a problem unless you want to make it one.
I guess Should run right out and buy another Vip 612 along with an HD tv ,just so E* don't have to provide me with channels to go along with the Standard def receiver for my second room. Channels E* already gets. TV2 is a problem for HD customers. TV1 isn't

I guess Should run right out and buy another Vip 612 along with an HD tv ,just so E* don't have to provide me with channels to go along with the Standard def receiver for my second room. Channels E* already gets. TV2 is a problem for HD customers. TV1 isn't
Buying is the only way to get one?

I guess Should run right out and buy another Vip 612 along with an HD tv ,just so E* don't have to provide me with channels to go along with the Standard def receiver for my second room.

There's your problem right there. It's not TV2.

Once again, if you have an SD receiver you NEED to subscribe to the CORRECT package.

Your argument however will become a lot more common in August when all the 921 and 942 customers suddenly can't see anything because of MPEG4. and want to know why the have to "buy" a new receiver just because E* won't give them the channels they pay for.

Once again, if you have an SD receiver you NEED to subscribe to the CORRECT package.

A Vip 622 is an SD receiver? What package should a person with a 622 or 722 supposed to subscribe to then? SD ONLY Pack? TV2 last I know was for my additional tv. When I ordered a 3 room system, I got 2 receivers. I guess from what your saying maybe they should have sent me 3 VIP 612 then.

<<SNIP>>
If you are watching TV2 on an analog 4:3, putting a 720p lcd panel is going to look MUCH better and it will be the right format.
<</SNIP>>

Sorry to interupt the debate with a newb question, but WTH!

Do you need to tell the 16x9 cheap LCD on TV2 to "zoom" to get a 16x9 image (at 480p - i am assuming) or can the legacy (RCA or Coax) cable handle that natively? Or put another way, does the dual tuner dish receiver send a 16x9 signal or a 4x3 one over the legacy cable?

Sorry to interupt the debate with a newb question, but WTH!

Do you need to tell the 16x9 cheap LCD on TV2 to "zoom" to get a 16x9 image (at 480p - i am assuming) or can the legacy (RCA or Coax) cable handle that natively? Or put another way, does the dual tuner dish receiver send a 16x9 signal or a 4x3 one over the legacy cable?

If you have a 16x9 TV LCD on TV2 it will display a downconverted 16x9 HD signal over RCA or Coax in the proper 16x9 aspect ratio, no zooming required. Of course it's not HD, but no stretch-o-vision or crops unless the original HD source is stretched or cropped.

If you have a 16x9 TV LCD on TV2 it will display a downconverted 16x9 HD signal over RCA or Coax in the proper 16x9 aspect ratio, no zooming required. Of course it's not HD, but no stretch-o-vision or crops unless the original HD source is stretched or cropped.
Thanks, always appreciate the help!

Yep most of us are aware of that. But most people that buy 16x9 tvs want HD hooked up,not SD. Might as well not even have Dual room receivers on HD equipment,Unless they are both going to be HD.

I have e-mailed thru the normal questions channel, as well as ceo@dish, and have not received any clear concise yes or no answer on this package. Dish does not seem to want to commit to an answer on the SD channels for this package. Thus as previous posters have indicated, those who have the channels, could have them turned off at any time. I really wanted this package, but I guess I will wait and see what other providers can offer.

Just to beat a dead horse one more time....

The Dish site still labels this package "dishHD". My Dish bill labels this package "dishHD". ....
The Dish site still labels this package as "dishHD" but the "My Programming" section of my account now labels it "dishHD Absolute".

No wonder many people, even Dish, seem to be confused :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

I have e-mailed thru the normal questions channel, as well as ceo@dish, and have not received any clear concise yes or no answer on this package. Dish does not seem to want to commit to an answer on the SD channels for this package. Thus as previous posters have indicated, those who have the channels, could have them turned off at any time. I really wanted this package, but I guess I will wait and see what other providers can offer.

The way Dish is losing customers hand over fist, they may not be too anxious to remove the SD versions of the HD channels.

Personally, I am putting up with the lack of my 2 RSN's because the HD package is a bargain. However, it will be less useful to me if they remove the SD channel eqivalents. And Direct keeps trying to get me back (from several years ago)with offers that get better all the time -- the latest is a free HD DVR upgrade along with discounted packages.

I turned in my leased 510 DVR when I began using my 622 as a 2-room DVR and Dish wants $100 plus the trade-in to lease me a 211/222 receiver for a third TV.

When I see all the goodies they are giving new customers, you'd think they'd throw a few crumbs to a long-time existing customer...

I am not getting a native 16 X 9 native aspect ratio on TV 2. It is 4 X 3 and I have to stretch it. This is on my daughters 26 inch Sharp LCD.

I think I have analyzed the dish information and have come up with a real solution that can be used by anyone who does not have all of the mirror SD channels turned on to get these turned on.

I you go to the following web site

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/whats_on_dish/programming_guides/HD_Channel_Lineup.pdf

and open up this file, it specifically states at the top that the HD channels are indicated in black. These are Dish Networks Words.

SO an Dish HD Absolute of Dish HD package even if they say includes only HD channels, one can use this PDF as a reference to what they will get.

Starting for example the Dish HD Absolute package has TNT- If you go to the row in this PDF for the Black highlighted HD Channel it indiates specifically that you get 138 and 9429. IF I am not wrong, I would think that this is the SD and HD Channel.

Going over the entire Dish HD Absolute package

TNT- 138/9420
ESPNHD- 140/9424
ESPN2HD- 144/9425
A&E HD- 118/9419
NHL HD- 403 (Only HD Feed)
HGTV- 112/9461
Food- 110/9462
NBATV- 402 (Only HD Feed)
TBS HD- 139/9499
History HD- 120/9491
DIscovery- 182/9487
TLC- 183/9488
Animal Planet- 184/9489
Golf/VS- 9468 (Only HD Feed)
Science - 193/9490
MGM HD- 385 (Only HD Feed)
WFN HD- 394 (Only HD Feed)
Bio HD- 119/9493
Hallmark Movie- 187/9444
HD Net- 9422 (Only HD Feed)
HDNet Movies 9423 (Only HD Feed)
HD Theater 9421 (Only HD Feed)
USA HD- 105/9431
SciFi HD 122/9432
National Geo 186/9429
Universal HD 9427 (Only HD Feed)
CNN HD 200/9436
NFL HD- 154/9426
Weather- 214/9438
Travel- 215/9437
CNBC HD- 208/9439
Disney- 172/9433
ABC Family- 180/9434
ESPN NEws HD- 142/9494
Cartoon 176/9463
Tennis 400/9442
Bravo- 129/9492
Toon DIsney 174/9449

For those of you who do not get all of these channels, I would think that you could use their PDF description as a leverage to obtain them.

Starting for example the Dish HD Absolute package has TNT- If you go to the row in this PDF for the Black highlighted HD Channel it indiates specifically that you get 138 and 9429. IF I am not wrong, I would think that this is the SD and HD Channel..
Sorry but that is wrong. They are both the HD channel. E* puts HD channels in the 9000's and mirrors them also on the SD channel number. Example TNT has 2 channels for the number 138 one SD and one HD. So if you don't want all your HD channels all the way up in the 9000's You can just turn to original TNT network number and chose HD or the SD Version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)