DishHD install newbie question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ataribaby

Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Pullman, Washington
I am a new Dish customer with a scheduled install due in a week for the DishHD package with the new VIP 622 DVR reciever. My question is this: Do I need to request a specific antenna type to ensure that I get all available HD and SD channels in the Gold package? In scanning this board, I see a lot of references to several satellites and I want to make sure that the antenna the installer uses is the right one! In looking at the Dish web site, it looks like a few of the public interest channels (such as Classic Arts Showcase) are on 61.5...do I need a second antenna for some channels? Also, what is the dish model that I should request for the install?

Thanks,

Brett

the tech will bring everything that he needs with him, before he starts ask him what is your best option to go with

Hello,

for a vip 622 rcvr you will have 3 satellite location (119, 110, & 129) your hd channels will come off of 129, the installer, should install a dish 1000. now depending on how many recievers are actually being installed this may change. the 61.5 location your questioning at this point would be a wing dish, it did broadcast all hd channels for mpeg2 recievers which is now the legacy hd package. your dish 1000 will give you everything you need

saxmanm said:
the 61.5 location your questioning at this point would be a wing dish, it did broadcast all hd channels for mpeg2 recievers which is now the legacy hd package.

??? I have everything from 61.5 because 129 cannot be seen on the east coast. 61.5 can be used in Washington State for mpeg4 HD and all Voom. Only reason 129 may be wanted depends on where the HD locals would be and if subscribed to.

The "legacy HD" channels are also on 129.

Again, 61.5 and 129 carry the same national HD channels, both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. Channels exclusive to 61.5 are HD Demo and CBS-NY, also some SD PI channels. Of course, the selection of HD locals will also be different.

Most of the country will get a Dish1000 though Brett's installer may opt for a 2nd dish for 129 given the difficulties many have had receiving that satellite on the west coast.

Pepper said:
HD Demo on 61.5 is pretty good, especially the fish tank.
Wow! That's a fish tank I've been watching? I wonder where the HDTV went - at least that's what I thought I bought...!:)

:) what do you need to see the demo? i have a hd tv. but waiting to get a hd receiver. is the demo viewable on a sd recever? thanks! cannot wait for hd!

BobaBird said:
Most of the country will get a Dish1000 though Brett's installer may opt for a 2nd dish for 129 given the difficulties many have had receiving that satellite on the west coast.

I'm considering Dish - it's almost college football and hockey season and my cable company is lacking in ESPN2 HD and has no Center Ice.

Some questions.... for those in the know.

1) As noted in the quote above, there's been difficulty receiving 129 on the "west" coast? That seems odd considering 129 is on the west coast. Is there some new math at work here or did he mean to say "east" coast?

2) From what I read it sounds like that someone in SoCal, like me, would need only the Dish 1000 to get everything included in the Silver HD package. Is that correct?

3) I thought I saw somewhere that the VIP622 feeds both an HD and SD set? Is the SD fed via an RF out (ch 3/4)?

Gracias

1) He meant west, specifically Pacific Northwest where the OP is, but even some in CA do better with a separate dish for 129. The east coast, actually anywhere NE of PA, is even worse. That area has no 1-dish solution. Since they can't officially see 129 they have to have a separate dish for 61.5.

2) Yes, but see 1).

3) The TV2 output is RF (ch 21-69 w/MTS) or composite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)