Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
attachment.php

attachment.php

Forgive me if this is covered, but I may have missed it. I read alot on here, but don't post often. With CES going on there is new info everywhere. I found this link/image on dbstalk that shows new DishHD packages, which look to be the regular packages with the HD pack and Voom. My concern is it looks as though the rates are higher than they are now, and higher than the already increased package prices coming in May.

Here is what I understand to be the breakdown:
Feb 1 price increased packages w/ Voom/HD Pack Now:
(All with HD pack, Voom, and Locals)
AT60 $50
AT120 $60
AT180 $70
AEP $102 (May change, no one has mentioned if AEP will go up or stay at $87)

The HD Packages posted at CES (I'm assuming these still include locals):
Bronze $55 (AT60 w/ HD $5 More)
Silver $65 (AT120 w/ HD - $5 MORE!)
Gold $75 (AT180 w/ HD - $5 MORE!)
Platinum $105 (AEP w/ HD - $105 - $3 MORE!)

Has anyone heard anything more on this? I would think this indicates an hidden price increase on HD Pack or Voom, or the mix! :eek: :mad:

Last edited:
Right, but the Feb1 price for base at60/120/180 is 30/40/50. Add $20 for HDpack, Voom, and Locals.

The NEW HD Packages they show as Bronze/Sliver/Gold would make the HDpack/Voom $20.

AT60 (Feb1 = $30) +Local/HD/VOOM +$20 =$50

BronzeHD = $55 - $5 MORE.

For clarrification - This difference shown is ON TOP of the increase that has already been discussed of $2/$3 on the AT packages. This would be a $7/$8 increase for a regular HD viewer total.

Last edited:
One thing...notice that on the Bronze package, it says "for up to 2 rooms".

Does that mean it includes an additional receiver fee?

It'd be nice if the HD packs included DVR fees. It's possible, as they never really promote the fact that it's included in AEP.

As much as I'd love to see free DVR fees (I pay two of them each month) I doubt that it will change - except to go up to $5.99 / month.

I would even be happy to see it become a one charge per account each month instead of one charge per receiver each month.

Yeah well some folks might not have two HD TV's so some folks might not need two HD Receivers. Man will be glad when they get this stuff final this is starting to become a mess.

Poke said:
Yeah well some folks might not have two HD TV's so some folks might not need two HD Receivers. Man will be glad when they get this stuff final this is starting to become a mess.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this looks in hindsight come June. I'm not making any decisions until at least March/April when things should be clearer. Nothing in the new HD programming is a "must have" for me.

NightRyder

Well if I'm reading the program right the Silver would be the one that I would be on. From what I can tell by the pic I guess I would get more HD Channels than what I'm getting now so that is not too bad. But they need to come out and say what kind of swap out they are going to do because folks most likely will half to have diffrent euipment. But man this is going to be a mess untill they come out and say what they plan on doing!

Last edited:
I guess I'm not going to be dropping any channels now. I have AEP with locals, HD and Voom. My only receiver is a 942, so my bill is $102. Keeping everything will put me at $105 (the usual $3 yearly increase of AEP)

I was thinking of dropping some combination of Cinemax, Starz, and switching from 180 to 120.

Now, with the DVR fee increase (and assuming it's not included in the lower HD packages), I'm looking at...

Keep everything...$105...a $3 increase (over my current bill...typical)
Dropping Cinemax...$111...a $9 increase!
Dropping Starz...$110...a $8 increase!
180 to 120...$108...$6 increase
Dropping Starz AND Cinemax... $104...$2 increase
180 to 120 and drop Cinemax...$101...Save $1
180 to 120 and drop Starz...$100...Save $2
Drop both and 180-120...$94...Save $8

It's not worth it to me to drop all that to save $8. I'd be willing to drop just Cinemax even if it was only $1 in savings, but now it's going to cost me!

At least the "big" package is becoming more of a value.

Poke said:
Yeah well some folks might not have two HD TV's so some folks might not need two HD Receivers.

That is probably aimed at new customers. The new receivers will all be HD capable.

Yeah I'm on the AT120 with the HD Pack no Voom with one 811 and a 311. If they swaped both out for 411 that would be fine. Looking at the new plans I guess the Silver would be best for me and to do that I would half to upgrade to a 411's and Dish1000. I just hope that they have a good swap out deal for folks.

I squinted at the bottom of the big sign that lists all channels and it said somthing to the effect of local channels available in over 100 cities. It does not mention the $5.99 charge.

Above that it does mention the $5 equipment fee for secondary receivers.

So I would assume that the packages include locals.

the new prices included HD with one of the existing America's TOP XX package. Anyone know it the HD only package will be available?

Is the new "DishHD" going to be the only way to get HD now? What if you don't want VOOM or Locals (or they're not offered in your DMA)? Can you get just the "traditional" HD pack (with ESPN2 and UHD added)? Can you get the traditional HD pack plus HD locals (if available)? There has to be HD pack pricing (I assume no change!) for people who stay on MPEG2-only for awhile. One size does NOT fit all.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)