DishHD Packages - An HD Rate Increase?

Actually looking at the picture again, it looks like a brochure. Hopefully Scott or someone at CES can get one and tell us the specifics.

As to the current HD pack pricing, its anyone's guess at this point.

I'm seriously thinking of throwing in the towel at this point. I have an owned 811 with the voom and HD Pak for $20 a month. If this goes up it's just not worth it, or if I have to pay some crazy fee to upgrade to a 411/211. I'll be better off with a cable card and get my HD from the cable company, where you get full rez, and only 2 channels per QAM256 carrier.

Anyone want to buy an 811? It's been trouble free since I picked it up brand new when VOOM folded.

digiblur said:
I'm seriously thinking of throwing in the towel at this point. I have an owned 811 with the voom and HD Pak for $20 a month. If this goes up it's just not worth it, or if I have to pay some crazy fee to upgrade to a 411/211. I'll be better off with a cable card and get my HD from the cable company, where you get full rez, and only 2 channels per QAM256 carrier.

Anyone want to buy an 811? It's been trouble free since I picked it up brand new when VOOM folded.

my sentiments exactly, Dish can pound it forth and long, I am tired of being screwed on hardware

-Gary

I think that legally that dish would have to provide us with the programming if we are being charged for it. There is no way in hell I am going to spend money upgrading my hardware so that I can see channels I am paying for. I expect lawyers to look at this one very hard. I see no reason for dish to not sending me a free mpeg4 reciever since I will be paying for all these extra channels I cannot get because they will be in mpeg4. It is dishes choice to switch codecs not ours.

Get a grip people. No one is going to get charged extra for the new MPEG 4 channels if they can't receive them. It's a sure bet that current HD Pak and HD-PAK + Voom subscribers will continue to receive those packages at the current pricing. E* has always been a big one for grandfathering current customers when they change bundles and I have no reason to believe this will be any different.

NightRyder

Last edited:
chipvideo said:
I think that legally that dish would have to provide us with the programming if we are being charged for it. There is no way in hell I am going to spend money upgrading my hardware so that I can see channels I am paying for. I expect lawyers to look at this one very hard. I see no reason for dish to not sending me a free mpeg4 reciever since I will be paying for all these extra channels I cannot get because they will be in mpeg4. It is dishes choice to switch codecs not ours.

That line hasn't worked out too well for the Lifetime viewers...

E* must have both Voom and Voom-less packages they move Voom from 61.5 to 110/119. Tons of customers can't even see 61.5 to begin with. 129 is not an option either (unless, of course, E* upgrades every HD customer to Dish1000, similar to D* deal with their 5LNB dish).

Tom Bombadil said:
Can one sub to this package:
HD Pack
VOOM
HBO
Showtime
Without sub'ing to AT60?
Under the present pricing, this would be $10 + $5 + $13 + $12 = $40 plus DVR fee.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer yet Tom, everything has been kinda quiet since this afternoon. Hopefully we will hear some more news soon.

Tom Bombadil said:
Can one sub to this package:
HD Pack
VOOM
HBO
Showtime
Without sub'ing to AT60?
Under the present pricing, this would be $10 + $5 + $13 + $12 = $40 plus DVR fee.

Right now I have HD Pack, (no Voom, dropped it real quick), Superstations & E & W Distant CBS & NBC (With CBSE-HD). I think it costs $26/month, including the $5 fee for not having an AT package. If they stop me from being able to keep this, I'm gone!

So these packages that are $30/$40/$50 for the AT packages +$20 for the HD packages that we see now, there will be another $5 charge for the new channels that they are adding? That would make it $55/$65/$75. You are forgetting about the DVR fee. This raises it up to $61/$71/$81. If you have an additional outlet then there is another $5 so now we are looking at $66/$76/$86. Don't forget your local channels! $71/$81/$91. This is without any premium movie packages ordered. This is what one additional HD DVR will cost you if it is added to your account and includes the price for locals.

Stargazer:
It would be this:
HD Package $55/65/75 I think locals are included in this price, can't read the small type to be 100% sure.
DVR +6 (Price increase highly rumored)
2nd Receiver +5

Example:
If you have two HD DVRs like me it is really getting up there:
Dish Silver HD (at120+HD) $65
2 DVRs +12
2nd Receiver fee +5
Total $82/mo

This makes that AEP look more tempting, it would be $110 considering I lose the DVR fees. Only $28 to upgrade to At180 & 4 movie packs & 2 more HD channels.

Ah, I goofed up by $5, that was including the local price fees at $55. I seen something about $50 and didnt see anything about it including locals so that caught me off guard.

Tom Bombadil said:
This screen shot:
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4799&d=1136445727
does not say that the $54.99 option includes locals.

In my digging last night I saw a photo of a slide from the press conference that said including locals where avaliable. I've been trying to find a link to the pic but I can't find it right now.

I found it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=6709&d=1136488778

At the bottom of the slide you can see "Local SD/HD channels, where avaliable."

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that Brian.

Considering the added HD - 7 now and more to come - the $5 a month is fair assuming they take care of us with a good MPEG4 upgrade offer, and Scott said this morning that they will from his conversations with Charlie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts