Dish'n It Up Deal Question

jedi_jackson

Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I have been hooked up on Dish Network with the Top 180 plan for about 6 months now and I have a Dish 500 antenna and a Standard Definition DVR (unsure model # right off) and I recently got and 42" Plasma HDTV and now I want to upgrade to HD channels. I see that now Dish is offering a free HD-DVR upgrade for new customers. I was wondering if there is anyway that I could get the 622 HD-DVR for free or do I have to do the Dish'n it up deal?

If I do the Dish'n it up deal, I see that the 622 upgrade is a $150 lease fee. Will I get any other discounts for my old DVR receiver? Because, if not, would I not be better off to cancel my account with Dish and pay the $50 installation fee that was waived for a 18 month commitment, then open a new account with Dish and get the HD-DVR upgrade for free?

Also, will I be able to get HD channels with the Dish 500 Antenna, or do I need another antenna?
One more question I have is the $6 lease fee for the HD-DVR, is that forever? Also, is the $6 lease fee the $150 lease fee broke up over several months, or is the $6 lease in addition to the $150 lease fee?

Thanks

Last edited:
1. You don't qualify for DISH N' It Up until after 12 months of continuous service.
2. Even then you wouldn't get the free 622 offer, it's only for new subs.
3. You can get a 1 time $49 credit per receiver you return to DISH in exchange for an upgraded unit.
4. The leased receiver fee is $6.00 a month for a HD receiver, the $150 fee is a lease upgrade fee, not associated with the receiver fee, so yes you pay both.
5. You can't cancel and come back as a new sub, it doesn't work like that. But don't worry, someone will be along shortly to tell you to use your wife's social security number, and then someone else will stop by to tell you if you get caught you're on your own.

Think that about covers it.

Would I always be charged the $6 lease fee or at some point would I pay it off? Another words, will I always have to pay the $6 lease fee, if I was eligible for the Dish'n It up Deal?

4. The leased receiver fee is $6.00 a month for a HD receiver, the $150 fee is a lease upgrade fee, not associated with the receiver fee, so yes you pay both.

If you are swapping your current DVR for the 622 under DIU, you won't have to pay the $6 lease fee. It will be the same as if you purchased it. This charge was only in effect for people who upgraded under DIU prior to 2/1/07.

1. You don't qualify for DISH N' It Up until after 12 months of continuous service.
2. Even then you wouldn't get the free 622 offer, it's only for new subs.
3. You can get a 1 time $49 credit per receiver you return to DISH in exchange for an upgraded unit.
5. You can't cancel and come back as a new sub, it doesn't work like that. But don't worry, someone will be along shortly to tell you to use your wife's social security number, and then someone else will stop by to tell you if you get caught you're on your own.

Think that about covers it.

You are not totally correct. I just upgraded from a Dish 625 SD DVR to the 622 HD DVR. I was in the middle of an 18 month contract on that having been with Dish for 9 months. I called and tried to get the same "free" offer (which really isn't free...new customers pay $199 up front and then get $20 off their bill for 10 months...thus the "free" receiver) and could not do so. The fee for the upgrade is $179 for anyone wanting to upgrade. I was offered a $50 credit on my bill which made the receiver $129 for me. I am now elligible for a $10 per month credit for 10 months off of my bill for my HD programming. This effectively makes the receiver $29. The $6 per month fee is for the DVR service...if you have more than one TV...you'd be paying that anyway...so do the DVR. I do not pay a "lease fee" beyond the up-front costs I paid. My advice...TAKE THE PLUNGE. I was going back and forth for a month or so...going between the HD signal with Dish and getting a HD-DVD player for my Xbox 360. I have an upconverting DVD player...so the DVD's already look pretty good...and my HD signal is AWESOME! So glad I went the route I did. VERY pleased.

I was offered a $50 credit on my bill which made the receiver $129 for me. I am now elligible for a $10 per month credit for 10 months off of my bill for my HD programming. This effectively makes the receiver $29.

The pricing depends on whether your account is designated as Plan A, B, or C. Several factors go into that determination, like length of time account has been active, programming package, bill payment habits, etc....

See attached chart for pricing for the different plans on DIU.

Attachments

• DIU Chart.JPG
    DIU Chart.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 260
I called and tried to get the same "free" offer (which really isn't free...new customers pay $199 up front and then get $20 off their bill for 10 months...thus the "free" receiver) and could not do so.

No, actually it IS free for new customers...I just signed up a week and a half ago and we didn't have to pay anything for the equipment up front, and we still get the $20 off for 10 months. My first bill already came and I'm only getting charged for the programming I signed up for. The 622 is definitely free now, no strings attached!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)