DishNet Satellite Technical and Install Info

mrdap

Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Hello to All,

I am a newbee to the forum, but not a total stranger to satellites. I had a 12' C/Ku band dish for 9 years and I loved it. I have had a DishNet 500 system at two different homes for about 8 years as well.

The install on the second house was terrible, very unhappy.

Now I am upgrading to HD (have the TV) and I want to upgrade to a ViP622 HD DVR.

I am a technical person and have the skills and tools to do just about anything, but I have little knowledge of DBS systems. Any tools I need I will buy or borrow.
Where can I go to get detailed information on the different types of dishes, LNB, satellites, and installation configuration, switches and diplexers, etc?

I called DishNet for some info. and was very frustrated with the inability of the cust serv. dept to give me a straight answer. Because of this and the bad install last time, I am thinking on doing most of the install myself, I doubt I will get it the way I want it if I don't. But I probably can't go on the roof.

I want to integrate my off-air antenna and my basic cable with the sat into a whole house system with two dual tuner receivers with feeds to up to 8 rooms, but not all at once.

Some basic questions I have, so far, are, which satllites do I need? How many dishes do I need? how many LNBs do I need, and what are the basics of wiring LNBs.

Could someone point me to a website or a book to come up to speed on this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

DAP

Here's a website that has a bunch of documents.
- DishPro Technology
- DishPro Plus Technology
- Switches
- Separators
- Installation Guides & Examples
- Diplexers
- Dish Types
- etc...
- Legacy setup is limited to 100 feet with good cable.
- DishPro & DishPro Plus setups are limited to 200 feet with RG6 cable rated at least to 2150MHz.
- DPP-44 Switch will allow you to run one cable from it to a ViP622, when you use a DPP Separator. Otherwise, you will need two cables for a dual tuner receiver.
- DP-34 and DPP-44 each has 4 outputs to feed 4 receivers/tuners, but the DPP-44 could feed 4 dual tuner receivers.
- Home Node. Will allow you to feed your sat signal and either a Cable or OTA signal to each satellite receiver. However, splitter/combiners will also work.
NOTE: Unless you get very high tech with modulators, etc..., you will probably not be able to feed both OTA and Cable to each location (but not imposible).

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Provided when you say DishNet, you mean Dish Network.

You should be able to look at your current receiver and see what satellites it is picking up. However....

- Most of the basic programming is on Sat 119 and Sat 110.
- Most SD locals are on 110 Spotbeams, with some SD locals on 119. Some locals are on 105, 61.5 and 148. I don't think 121 has any more locals. There may be other Sats. Sats 129 and 118.7 has HD locals, and I believe others do as well.
- HD Programming (except HD locals) are duplicated between Sats 129 and 61.5.
- I think Latino Programming is basically on 119 and 110.
- International Programming is usually on one of the following, but may also be duplicated on 61.5, 121, 118.7, and 148.

Dish types:

- Dish 300 = is used for a single DBS orbital location 61.5, 110, 119, 129, 148
- Dish 500 = is used for 2 DBS orbital locations at 119 & 110, but can be used as a Dish 300.
- Dish 1000 = 119, 110, & 129
- SuperDish 121 = 119, 110, & (FSS) 121
- SuperDish 105 = 119, 110, & (FSS) 105
- Dish 1000.2 = 119, 110, & 129
- Dish 500+ = 119, 110, & (FSS) 118.7
- Dish 1000+ = 119, 110, (FSS) 118.7, & 129

Do not mix legacy LNBF and DishPro LNBF.
LNBF for 105, 121, and 118.7 are different than the LNBF's for the rest.

Do not mix legacy Switches with DishPro/DishPro Plus Switches.

Give your Zip Code and Programming desires (& locals), someone will tell you what they feel is the best dish route. Also, what is currently installed/owned, or did you just move to a third location?

SW

p.s. Welcome to the club.

EDIT: Also, there are many threads, with some of the common ones at the top of each forum; and with the search, you may find some that are useful.

Last edited:
Thank you Smity!

Wow! I have a lot of reading to do. Will get back on the current system, too late now.

Thanks again!

DAP

New dish Retailer

hello,

I am a new dish retailer looking for a national installer network preferably with spanish speakers.

any help?

thank you!

Web,

May I suggest you delete your above post, and start a new thread. This technical sub-forum should do, or maybe the main Dish Network forum. If you deal with Dish and DirecTV, then maybe the forums for both DBS providers.

Maybe use "Looking for National Installer Network" for the subject.

I'm not the welcome committee, but welcome. Lots of good information here, for both the professional and hobbiest.

SW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts