DishNet

DISHnet is available everywhere in the USA.

When they install it, you will get installed with Hughesnet or Exede service installed.

I have used it a few times and it works well, however be warned it does have low bandwidth caps.

That's what I thought! I called and the CSR said it wasn't available in my area. Kinda strange it's satellite internet why wouldn't it be? My DSL sucks! Should I just go with Hughesnet or stay away from satellite internet?

If you care anything about latency (gaming, web page responsiveness, VoIP,) then you would be wise to stay away from all forms of satellite Internet.

Also if you care about using more than a couple of GB (online video) then again, stay away.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The first question I would ask yourself is how much bandwidth intensive stuff you use each month. Also, what kind of speed are you seeing out of your DSL? The fact is, yes the Dishnet service gets throttled if you run over your allotment for the month. But, in my experience its typically around 512kbps when it does get slowed. In the case of one DSL customer I installed it for this was still better than what he was getting before. I've only done Exede myself and have seen speeds of 12-16Mbps.

I'm getting 4Mbps and that's if its not down. I would really like to try something else. I Think I will be fine if I can get 20GB a month. If I could just get lucky and get a tech that says I can get DISHnet in my area i'll be doing good.

I'm confident you can get service there. If you weren't quite so far from me I'd help myself. Pretty sure you are in the same beam as we are here in the Savannah area. I wouldn't count on using the streaming or sling function on your Hopper if you do go the sat route. You could eat up 20GB in no time. 4Mbps isn't bad for DSL really. Stinks though if you deal with frequent outages.

Have you ever looked into the reason for the down time? Do you have filters installed on all land line phones in the house and anything else that may be connected to the phone line (fax, hopper, ect.)? I had a real bad problem a few years ago at my place with AT&T DSL dropping out all the time. Turned out to be the old wiring in my house. Tech came out and we ran a cat 5 cable from the box outside directly to the modem location and put the DSL filter in the box out there. Never had another issue.

I'm certainly not saying that your provider isn't at fault but its not necessarily the case.

Oh, and keep in mind too that the 20GB plan is actually a 10/10 deal. You get 10GB to use during the day then 10 additional to use between midnight and 6am I believe.

I'm confident you can get service there. If you weren't quite so far from me I'd help myself. Pretty sure you are in the same beam as we are here in the Savannah area. I wouldn't count on using the streaming or sling function on your Hopper if you do go the sat route. You could eat up 20GB in no time. 4Mbps isn't bad for DSL really. Stinks though if you deal with frequent outages.

Have you ever looked into the reason for the down time? Do you have filters installed on all land line phones in the house and anything else that may be connected to the phone line (fax, hopper, ect.)? I had a real bad problem a few years ago at my place with AT&T DSL dropping out all the time. Turned out to be the old wiring in my house. Tech came out and we ran a cat 5 cable from the box outside directly to the modem location and put the DSL filter in the box out there. Never had another issue.

I'm certainly not saying that your provider isn't at fault but its not necessarily the case.

Oh, and keep in mind too that the 20GB plan is actually a 10/10 deal. You get 10GB to use during the day then 10 additional to use between midnight and 6am I believe.
I've had a tech and they say everything is fine here, All the neighbors seem to have the same problem! (Just found this out about a week ago) Wish I had other options. Seems that I will be out of luck either way I go lol!!

Yeah, I hear ya. Too bad they can't do anything for you. You asked the local company if they have any intention of upgrading to fiber soon? My in laws just got it at their place a couple years ago NW of Augusta and boy what a difference.

I called them and found out that DISH also re-sells DSL service. In my case, I had centurylink for my DSL. For the same 7 MB/S DISH is providing the service at $29.99/month v/s centurylink's price of $41.99 per month. Once I placed the order, the CSR, who was amazingly professional sounding, actually offered to have my account reviewed for more discounts since I have been with DISH for 9 years. The other CSR that I got transferred to was also exceptionally professional and reviewed my account and offered me $15.00 off per month for 10 months! I am really impressed with DISH's new focus on customer service!

DISHnet is available everywhere in the USA.

When they install it, you will get installed with Hughesnet or Exede service installed.

I have used it a few times and it works well, however be warned it does have low bandwidth caps.

While Dishnet seems to be available everywhere, customers are sometimes told that the service "is not available in your area." However, their neighbors across the street may have it. I have heard that services may become available for denied customers if they call back on another day. I am not really sure why this happens. I wonder if it has anything to do with beam availability.

I can say I was at a dish install the other day with a customer interested in DISHnet but when we called in they told us bit wasn't available in this area but he could call back in a few months and check again

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

I seriously doubt they are oversubscribed. Maybe it's an installer issue?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have dishnet..and xfinity. Via the speedtest on the google play market..my dishnet ran 18-24 mbps...xfinity ran 19-24mbps...now the ping
Xfinity 80 seconds
Dish 700-960 seconds....why we cant game with dish

I have 10 gb anytime
10 gb bonus

The 10 gb bonus after 1am nightly is unlimited for now

Works good though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)