Dishnetwork and FTA configuration help...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vudoo

Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I'm currently have the DishNetwork 500 (not Pro) system with 3 dishes (professionally installed - Seattle, WA) connect to SW64 switch out to 2 receivers (7100 and 510 PVR - both with dual tuners).

I also have a FTA dish (with it own receiver). The FTA signal was piggy back (combined on the roof) into one of the Dishnetwork' dish cable (the less use one - I was told, mostly local religious channels). Basically six RG6 cables run into the house connected to the SW64 switch.

My DishNetwork system is working fine, however whenever I wanted to use my FTA receiver, I'll have to by-pass the SW64 and connect directly to the FTA receiver (hence losing one of my Dishnetwork's tuner connection). I would like to use my FTA receiver without compromising my current Dishnetwork setup. I tried to split signal (using 900+ - 2100+ Hz spliter) at the receiver location, etc... (various combination was tried without success :no ). Please help :confused: , greatly appreciate. Thank you.

you might want to ask this in the fta section. i don't know if what you are trying to do will work. there are some sharp people in there. remember the rules, no hack talk.

I'm not sure what kind of device was used to "combine" the signals on the roof, but assuming that is actually working which I seriously doubt, you would need something that could reverse the process at the other end.

My thought is that you really need a separate cable run for the FTA.

I concur with pepper. I can't see how it could be piggybacked. As I understand it (and I don't understand it all that well) there are different tones and voltages used to 'switch' the switch and power the LNB's. Hooking the Dish Network and FTA reciever at the same time over the same cables would cornfuzzle the switch and LNB's.

(Maybe someone with more tech expertise can jump in here) Iceberg? Tom?

My FTA is run directly from a standard LNB and 30" motorized dish to my PANSAT.

My Dish Network runs from a Quad LNB(Only 2 outputs used though) to a DP34 and then to the 522 and 921. 3rd connection from 61.5 to DP34.

I 'CAN' add a Dish LNB to the side on my FTA LNB to get some free Dish audio on the FTA receiver, but since I have AEP on Dish, I have no need to. I would have to use a 2x1 switch at the 30" dish to do this though.

Vudoo said:
I'm currently have the DishNetwork 500 (not Pro) system with 3 dishes (professionally installed - Seattle, WA) connect to SW64 switch out to 2 receivers (7100 and 510 PVR - both with dual tuners).

I also have a FTA dish (with it own receiver). The FTA signal was piggy back (combined on the roof) into one of the Dishnetwork' dish cable (the less use one - I was told, mostly local religious channels). Basically six RG6 cables run into the house connected to the SW64 switch.

My DishNetwork system is working fine, however whenever I wanted to use my FTA receiver, I'll have to by-pass the SW64 and connect directly to the FTA receiver (hence losing one of my Dishnetwork's tuner connection). I would like to use my FTA receiver without compromising my current Dishnetwork setup. I tried to split signal (using 900+ - 2100+ Hz spliter) at the receiver location, etc... (various combination was tried without success :no ). Please help :confused: , greatly appreciate. Thank you.

It can't be done...I think I understand what they tried to do. The 3rd dish (148) usually only needed either vertical or horizontal polarity (as the dish is used for locals and they are on one transponder). I sounds like the installer tried to hook the FTA dish to the other port on the SW64 (either H or V again).

Bottom line, the SW64 switch is setup for 12.2-13MHZ applications, and KU band is from 11.5-12.2. The best option is to run a line from the dish to the receiver.

I've tried the above, but not with a SW64, and it wouldn't work. Unfortunatelly, you need one line minimum per different satellite item
I have
-one line from my FTA setup into the house
-one line from the StarChoice dish into the house
-one line from the Dish network dish (only one receiver) into the house
-couple more lines for an antenna and a fixed dish at G3

(thank god for drills with large bits :))

Thank you for your replies. I can either view the FTA channels by hooking the cable directly to the FTA receiver (bypass the SW64) - that basically tell me that the signal does combine/mux correctly. Likewise, hooking the same cable back to the SW64 will let me view the Dishnetwork channels. Therefore the SW64 is blocking the FTA signal (thank you Iceberg for the info., I didn't know about the signal range of the SW64). I'm currently exploring the solution of either

(1) getting a new switch that doesn't block the signal (no idea where or how to find that) or

(2) extract the FTA signal before it's going into the SW64 and re-combine it at the SW64 output (I don't if that will disrupt my Dishnetwork signal).

On the other hand, like most of you already alluded to, it's impossible.

Guys can you hook up the other side of a Legacy dual Dish Network LNB to a DiSEqC switch and use it with your FTA system from a separate coaxial at the same time as the other side supplying the signal for your Dish receiver? Thanks,Mike

The Dual LNB is really two independent LNB (legacy)
You could just run the extra cable all the way to the FTA receiver without the switch, or add a DiSEqC switch to combine DBS and KU LNBF/Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts