Dishnetwork + Condo + Alternatives

grs_dev

Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Hello all, I have a dishnetwork antenna installed inside my condo (obviously my HOA has a beef with the dish being anywhere else it can possibly acquire signal) behind a glass window. Apparently the thickness of the glass etc plays a factor in acquiring the signal. It is very painful to watch any programming for switching between channels is like a dice roll. You never know if the dish is going to actually acquire the signal for the next channel.

To make a long story short. I am exploring alternate antennas and came across some products but I am not sure of their viablity and/or availability.

My first question is about CubSat (a discreet dish product supposedly) antenna, the LX2000 pipe antenna, digiglobe, and digicube. I found some other products such as the Movin' view I believe (a product designed for RVs).

While the first product appears to be available in the US (i'm in florida by the way). It is priced at a whopping $400 just for the Antenna!!!!

The other 3 products appear to be available in the UK and Europe. I find the pipe antenna to be more feasible even if I have to keep the antenna behind my window, at least this way the room is not wasted just for an antenna etc.

The third product weighs about 43Lbs and is designed to be mounted on top of RVs and such. It's supposedly capable of acquiring signal automatically and has a dome shape which says that it needs not be directed or redirected. There is a parked version which sells for upwards of $1600 and a moving version which runs for upwards of $2200. Needless to say I am not that desprate to spend several thousands of dollars simply to watch dish.

I am persistent however and would like to find a suitable alternative to the current situation. What I do know is the following. My signal is in the Southeastern region. The condo unit I am in faces east and west. I have neighbors on all 3 sides (right, left, and above). My patio faces West. My front door faces East. I have walls that form an entry way to my front door preventing me leveraging possibly the only area (besides my patio and interior) as an exclusive usage area. The entry way is shared with the upstairs neighbors. I'd like to install something that can acquire signal without constraints on the direction perhaps. Also if a plate type antenna that can be mounted directly against a flat fixture or panel that may be an alternative? I am not sure yet but we can explore it. Last but not least, what's involved in installing a community dish (cost, efforts, etc).

I am really stuck and urgently need your help...

Thanks in advance
GrdDev

I know some that live in Condo's and they usually have a deck that they attach it to.
The others use a pole in the ground to attach it to because many condo places do not want it on the physical facility.

As for a community dish, E* loves them - because they get a foot in the door.

That being said, it's difficult to get-r-done. HOA, cabling issues, enough customers, etc.

I have nowhere to place the dish on the side of the condo where the reception can be acquired. My only exclusive use area is the back patio and it is on the wrong side for satellite reception.

Is it possible to make use of pipe antennas, flat panel antennas, or discreet antennas? I have dishnetwork again.

Thanks again
Grs

grs_dev said:
I have nowhere to place the dish on the side of the condo where the reception can be acquired. My only exclusive use area is the back patio and it is on the wrong side for satellite reception.

Is it possible to make use of pipe antennas, flat panel antennas, or discreet antennas? I have dishnetwork again.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

Is there a tenant on the side that can get reception that has dish? and if so do you know him? ask him if you can tap his dish, if you have your own account and receivers, there are no rules against sharing a dish and he couldn't get any extra charges or anything for sharing, I've seen people sharing, you can hide the RG6 line under the soffit quite easily.

Jason

I really never figured out what the home owners associations beef was with Dishes anyways :( Not for anything, but it doesn't look any worse than a BBQ grill!

Why don't you just invest in one of those fake rock covers for like $150 and be done with it. If you do it when nobody is around looking, chances are they will think you took your dish down and leave you alone!!!

I have seen them on tri-pods that were pretty high. You need to get an installer out to check it out. He may have some ideas. Also check and see if any of the other condo owners have a Dish and see where they have placed it. You will also need to know the condo rules but they cannot forbid you to have one AFAIK. There are FCC rules on it.

Sky King49 said:
You will also need to know the condo rules but they cannot forbid you to have one AFAIK. There are FCC rules on it.
There are exceptions to OTARD...I used to be on the board of my HOA. I had to fight them because they wanted to pass regulations requiring permits and restricting placement. I ended up calling the FCC to stop this from happening. As a result I was volunteered to rewrite a portion of the CCNR's to comply with OTARD. The situation below falls into one of those exceptions. I can guide you to the governing laws if you need more assistance (theres 101 parts, part 1 being most relevant and theres like 4000 parts within that subgroup...I attached part 1.4000 which is the most relevant). In a condo, or condo declared townhome, etc...the home owner normally doesn't own the structure. This means the HOA can restrict placement because they own the structure. The law says that they cannot restrict usage/placement if it is within the owner/viewers "Exclusive Owned Property". So in a condo scenario, that limits you to the patio or balcony...if that is your exclusive property. Most Condo HOA's will dedicate an area of wall or roof for dish and antenna placement. I see more and more Dish Tree's being installed at Condo properties. Again you must be the owner or have exclusive rights to where you are mounting.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts