Dishnetwork digital audio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Slcpapa41

Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi,
I am having an issue with the signal level of the digital audio output on my Hopper 3 receiver. I have a Sunfire Theater Grand and am using Toslink cables to feed the digital audio from both my DVD player and Satellite receiver into two separate inputs. The cables are identical. I am finding that the Satellite signal is much lower than the DVD signal. I am judging by the amount of volume level, measured in Dbs, that is needed to comfortably listen to each unit. I have to almost max out the volume for the satellite signal. Is there anyway to measure that signal strength? Is there anyway to amplify the lower signal?
Thanks,
Slcpapa41

Hi,
I am having an issue with the signal level of the digital audio output on my Hopper 3 receiver. I have a Sunfire Theater Grand and am using Toslink cables to feed the digital audio from both my DVD player and Satellite receiver into two separate inputs. The cables are identical. I am finding that the Satellite signal is much lower than the DVD signal. I am judging by the amount of volume level, measured in Dbs, that is needed to comfortably listen to each unit. I have to almost max out the volume for the satellite signal. Is there anyway to measure that signal strength? Is there anyway to amplify the lower signal?
Thanks,
Slcpapa41
Go to Settings, Audio, turn Volume Leveling off, then try both Wide and Narrow for the range to see which gives you better sound. After you change that setting, you'll have to back out to apply it

Different base audio levels from different devices is enough of a problem that most decent AVRs have settings to adjust the level for each component separately. The bigger problem (for me) is the level change between some channels, and between dolby and non-dolby content on Dish.

Different base audio levels from different devices is enough of a problem that most decent AVRs have settings to adjust the level for each component separately. The bigger problem (for me) is the level change between some channels, and between dolby and non-dolby content on Dish.

Agreed, especially some content that only has center-channel (mono) audio. I still do not understand that.

Hi,
Thanks,
Slcpapa41
I was watching TV last night and realized that I had to also increase the sound level of the audio coming through the HDMI connection to the TV. I thought it could be the signal strength of the Satellite itself. So, I went to the setup and discovered that it was peaking at 58%. Way too low. Time to call dishnetwork.

I was watching TV last night and realized that I had to also increase the sound level of the audio coming through the HDMI connection to the TV. I thought it could be the signal strength of the Satellite itself. So, I went to the setup and discovered that it was peaking at 58%. Way too low. Time to call dishnetwork.

First of all the satellite signal strength has absolutely nothing at all to do with the audio volume. The signal is digital and is either there or it isn't. Obviously your's is there as you have audio and video.

Next, the 58 on the meter is not a percentage it's a measurement and depending on what satellite and transponder you were checking is about average and totally fine. Anything above about a 30 will give you reliable service.

Hi,
I am having an issue with the signal level of the digital audio output on my Hopper 3 receiver. I have a Sunfire Theater Grand and am using Toslink cables to feed the digital audio from both my DVD player and Satellite receiver into two separate inputs.
Am I to understand that Sunfire doesn't have HDMI inputs? :eek:

Yes, all the audio on SD channels on Dish need to be reduced. Whenever I go from HD to SD, the SD channels can be quite LOUD, even ear splitting. While I understand that the 5.1 is often produced with more dynamic range for effect and center dialog channel can be produced to be TOO LOW for effect, IMHO, lowering the audio level of the SD's would go a long way to keeping things CLOSER to equal and less ear splitting when changing between Dish HD and Dish SD channels.

Reactions: joegr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts