DISHNETWORK dual tuner questions...

Wild Tech

Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Solving puzzles...
I was trained for DirecTV, so I don't know all the ins and outs of DISHNET.

My neighbor has a setup with 2 dual tuners - and wanted to relocate a line and/or box. But I have not seen a connection setup like this thing before.

The sat 1 line is pretty obvious, as is the output 1.

Sat2 and output 2 go into a two way splitter though, and even though I can see where signals on different freq's would not interfere much with eachother, I don't understand why it is done like that.

The sat2 line doesn't have a direct cable run to the dish(s) that I can see, it was fished through a wall to a point i have not tracked down yet. But I would think it had to be an input.

What's up with this?

Most likely the 2-way splitter you're seeing is actually a diplexor. The reason the installer put in a diplexor is because they're using diplexing the audio/video feed to the 2nd TV with the satellite signal feed from the dish to the Satellite 2 Input on the receiver. If they were to relocate the dual-room receiver, you'll want to diplex the other line again if you don't want to run 3 lines to the dual room receiver location: 2 for the satellite signals and 1 for the audio/video signal to the 2nd TV location.

So - the secondary dish input and the output to the second TV are being carried on one continuous cable in other words, yes?

In thinking about this - is this done so that only one line needs to be fished down to the room from the attic in support of the SAT2 and TVOUT2?

Last edited:
If you only see one line coming "in", it could very well be that they have a Dish Pro Plus LNBF. That thing that you say looks like a splitter would then be a separator.

Okay - so now the layout is beginning to make a whole lot more sense.

Of four lines in, from a triple and one single LNB, one punches right through the wall into a room near the dish mounts, and three other run up into the attic above it. I suspect it was an upgrade.

One of the dish feeds is diplexed down through the wall, and is to/from the reciever in the room just below. It then feeds one other B/R and drops to the main LVG/R.

What I need to figure is how to X-plant the RCVR from the first room to the downstairs for a different B/R, while still feeding the LVG/R and and master B/R.

Are there two seperate remotes? (Next "Q"). One of them RF and the other IR???

If the RF will carry from upstairs to the downstairs RCVR for SAT2 and OUT2 for the main B/R, I can do this!

You have a good point - I should line one out with my graphics program and post it. I still need to look at where all the cables run in my friends attic though - I suspect the sat2 and out2 line comes straight up to the attic above, and that the original system was a single LNB that had a triple LNB added later.

Example #2 is most like what I found, but it is being done with two dual recievers.

I still need info on the remotes though - is one of them IR, and the other one RF?
Or are they both RF, with different identifier codes programmed in by the user?
(Since one has to function from a seperate room from the reciever)

Typically, one is IR and the other is UHF. A person can chose to have the dual tuner receiver installed in a centrally located spot such as a basement or utility closet. In that case, 2 UHF remotes are needed.

Roger that. I figured that was how it was.
IR won't go through walls, but is less expensive, so one of them would have to be.

Thanx for the info! My neighbor will be all set up fairly soon.

~WT

(?) What if there are two duals in the place, are the UHF remotes set up so they won't interfere with eachother?
IE: Can seperate UHF channels be selected on the remotes?

Last edited:
Exactly!! It's a process by which you program the UHF remotes to separate addresses. Not too sure the specifics about it, but I imagine it has to do with whatever UHF freq and the process of changing said freq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)