Dishnetwork New customer advice ( 4 receivers )

TomMax

Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Los Angeles CA
hello,

I am planing to get dishnetwork ( los Angeles CA area )
package 200 Channels 39.99 first year and after 59.99
4 solo HD dvr receivers (leasing)
I read that
1 receiver will be free from fees
2 reciver ( solo hd dvr ) 10 per month
3 reciver ( solo hd dvr ) 10 per month
4 reciver ( solo hd dvr ) 10 per month

39.99 + 30 receivers Fees = 69.99 monthly bill for first year
59.99 +30 receivers fees = 89.99 monthly bill second year

i heard some customer get charged $5 extra for each receiver as warranty fee ( second year and after )

is that true or there is other hidden fees ?????

please from your experience, as dishnetwork existing customer .

what kind of fees do you pay each month for your receivers.

The ViP612 is a flat $10 fee regardless of promotions. However, there is also a single $6 DVR fee, meaning your DVR fees will be $36 a month, but it is a flat fee that will not change. Though, if I recall correctly, DISH won't lease more than 3 HD receivers so #4 will need to be purchased.

math is correct on $36 you will get a 612 or 722 free as your first box but every hd dvr after will be $99 leas upgrade up to 2 extra as 3 is now the limit. #4 you will need to buy it and still pay $10 to have it active on the account. $36 on top of your programing $$

A cheaper option if you dont mind watching what you record or watch a previous dvr program when a recording is going on is get 3 211 boxes with your account for free and then buy #4 $100-150 then get the EHD option $40 one time (no $6 dvr fee applys) and put exturnal usb hard drive and turn all the 211 into dvrs $21 on top of your programing

As Rocket69 mentioned, the first DVR may be free (depending on what you qualify for), but any additional DVR's that you add will most likely have an upgrade fee.

There is also a limit of 3 leased HD receivers on an account, so the 4th receiver would need to be purchased.

Going with Rocket's idea may be the best to save yourself some money (getting the 211's with EHD instead of all 612's)

math is correct on $36 you will get a 612 or 722 free as your first box but every hd dvr after will be $99 leas upgrade up to 2 extra as 3 is now the limit. #4 you will need to buy it and still pay $10 to have it active on the account. $36 on top of your programing $$

A cheaper option if you dont mind watching what you record or watch a previous dvr program when a recording is going on is get 3 211 boxes with your account for free and then buy #4 $100-150 then get the EHD option $40 one time (no $6 dvr fee applys) and put exturnal usb hard drive and turn all the 211 into dvrs $21 on top of your programing

1) can i ask dishnetwork wich receiver i want ( like 3 boxes 211 ) ????
2) 3 boxes of 211 for free no fees at all ??????

1) can i ask dishnetwork wich receiver i want ( like 3 boxes 211 ) ????
2) 3 boxes of 211 for free no fees at all ??????

1) We can't guarantee a specific model depending on the family, but it never hurts to ask (e.g. 211 and 211k are in the same family, so you may get the 211's instead of the 211k's).

2) Depends on what you qualify for

with dish you just need to say i want 3 tvs hd nothing extra and you will get 3 211 but they might be remaned or new
If you contact a local dish dealer they can insure you get all new 211k gear

Even with 211s there is additional receiver fees . I believe it is $7 for single tuner HD plus you would need to buy 4 external hard drives to make each a DVR.

Even with 211s there is additional receiver fees . I believe it is $7 for single tuner HD plus you would need to buy 4 external hard drives to make each a DVR.

True, 211's are $7/month. The initial upgrade fees may be lower though (if there are any), and an EHD can be shared between all the 211's

I wonder if he might be better off with a couple of ViP922 or ViP722(k) and sling HD to the other HDTVs. Assuming all 4 are HDTVs. If any are SD, it would of course simplify things. Sling adapter/extender.

You'll be given the option to get HD free for life (you will need to do autopay and paperless billing), or you can always do HD channels for $10/month (there's no free for 6 months offer that I'm aware of)

how about HD channels there is no extra fees for that ???
i found a local dishnetwork retailer advertising free HD for first 6 months
Satellite TV Deals Los Angeles CA | Dish Network Authorized Dealer

To the OP: I would NOT recommend ANY local Dish retailer UNLESS you know first hand that they are good, reliable, and NOT liars and crooks.

The quality of local retailers throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan 5 county area is very poor. Stick with doing this through Dish corporate at their 800 number. Now, Dish may have to send out a contractor to do the install--heaven help you--but if you are lucky, you will get a company installer. This is Dish's BIGGEST and WEAKEST link: the quality of the installation by the company is EXCELLENT, while the retailers are far too often inferior--causing problems--bait and switch on promised equipment, and may even try to extract cash from you at the time of installation. I have countless personal experiences and, in additions, every individual I know who has had a retailer do the install has had to have Dish out AGAIN to fix it, not always an easy process.

I've had only 1 positive experience from a retailer out here who did do excellent work, but he has since sold the business.

My friend, if you live in the L.A. area, you know the population is filled with far too many who are out to do shoddy work in a dishonest manner at extra cost to you. I say that to someone who lives here and know how hard it is to find anyone to do good work with integrity and not cheat you such as plumbers, painters, you name it. You have to know what I mean. Many people on this forum, some of whom are retailers, are good folks from "nice" parts of the country. So, those folks shoujld not feel offended or rush to the defense of retailers in the LA area who really are a different kind of people doing business. Unfortunately, too many of the wrong people are Dish and DirecTV retailers in the LA area, as well. Stick with Dish.

Charlie ought to keep all the Blockbusters here and just take over all the LA area installations and prevent churn and get and keep tons of subscribers. I don't think he knows the depth of the problems here.

Last edited:
I thought there was only one six dollar DVR fee per account, and that it covered all DVR's, but you pay three dollars more for lease fee's per month per DVR unit . 211(K) seven per month lease 612 ten per month lease 222(K) fourteen per month lease 722(K) seventeen per month lease Am I wrong in this thinking?

The lease fee is based on number of tuners and tvs it is designed to support.

So you have a $6/month DVR fee per account that covers all DVRs
If you have only 211's, and have paid the one-time $40 EHD fee for it, then there is no monthly DVR fee at all.

The lease fee is :
211 - $7 Single tuner - single TV support
612 - $10 Dual tuner - single TV support
622/722/722k - $17 Dual tuner - 2 TV support

last question
if i lease dishnetwork receivers. do i have to pay warranty fees for the receivers .( $5 per receiver when the receivers are over 1 year old )
friend of mine, who is dishnetwork customer has to fight to take it out from his bill
he said the second year of his agreement, found out that there is $5 charge extra . and the dishnetwork billing or customer service told him that the receivers out of warranty now ( more than 1 year old ) and he has to pay $5 per receiver as warranty . his leasing the receivers. why his has to pay warranty ???????????

There is an optional maintenance plan that is $6/month total, not per receiver. With it, they will swap out the receivers for no charge at all unless a truck roll is required, then the cost is $15. If you have a service call without the maintenance plan, then the cost is $95.

If you don't have the maintenance plan and need to swap out a receiver, then the charge is for shipping ($20 I think).

BTW, most leases don't include maintenance.

The receivers are always under warranty if they are leased, the only question is who pays shipping. If you don't have the Protection plan on your account for $6 per month, then the shipping charge is $14.95 to ship out a replacement. Otherwise if you have the protection plan the shipping is Free.

Other than that the protection plan reduces the cost of inhome service from $95 to $15....

So the real question is if your tech savvy enough enough to do your own service, then the protection plan is really just saving you shipping if you got a bad receiver, and unless you don't have a bad receiver every 3 months then the protection plan doesn't make alot of sense.

The reduced cost on service calls is good, but I can usually trouble shoot things myselfe faster than waiting 1-2 days for a technician to roll out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts