Dishnetwork sats.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I'm hitting 110 and 119 through DirecTV with 95 plus signal strength. 129 is blocked by a tree. I used a compass and I have a clear shot at 61.5. Could I not use two dishes to get the Dishnetwork?

You will need to give us your location and if you're interested in HD programming. If all you're looking for is SD programming 119 and 110 is all you need. If you want HD programming the Voom channels are on 61.5 and 129 but some HD locals are only on 61.5 or 129.

Last edited:
RandallA said:
You will need to give us your location and if you're interested in HD programming. If all you're looking is for SD programming 119 and 110 is all you need. If you want HD programming the Voom channels are on 61.5 and 129 but some HD locals are only on 61.5 or 129.

70448. I don't believe they are offering locals in HD in my area. Thank you for the information.

Good Ole Mandeville. That tree must be the only one left, or you are further back from the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain.

Right now the New Orleans channels are only in SD. I believe they just started the Baton Rouge and Lafayette locals which are also in SD. If I remember right, Baton Rouge and part of Mississippi are in the same DMA, but I am pretty sure you are not part of that DMA.

I was going to say that compasses are not that accurate and that if you have a Dish 1000, to pick up 110, 119, and 129, that you must just be barely missing 129, since there is not a large distance between the two. However, I just read your post again, and you said you are using DirecTV to pick up 110 and 119.

I don't know a lot about DirecTV, but I don't think a single dish from them would pick up 110, 119, and 129.

If you have a Dish 1000, maybe physically moving it a little to the east, or a lot to the west would give you all 3 signals. However, yes you can use a second dish to pick up either 129 or 61.5.

Since you asked the question, I would say you are not familiar with all of the equipment. Therefore, may I recommend you list what you are planning on using, and I'm sure someone will give you a more accurate answer that may save you some headaches.
.....Receiver or receiver model numbers;
.....Dish type or types (legacy or DishPro LNBF)
.....Any switches (SW21, DP34, DPP44)
.....What programming (Standard, HD, Local, Any International)

Good luck.

PS - I believe it was end of March that the (ten) New Orleans locals were moved to 110, from 121 which required a SuperDish 121 dish.

Last edited:
SmityWhity said:
Good Ole Mandeville. That tree must be the only one left, or you are further back from the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain.

Right now the New Orleans channels are only in SD. I believe they just started the Baton Rouge and Lafayette locals which are also in SD. If I remember right, Baton Rouge and part of Mississippi are in the same DMA, but I am pretty sure you are not part of that DMA.

I was going to say that compasses are not that accurate and that if you have a Dish 1000, to pick up 110, 119, and 129, that you must just be barely missing 129, since there is not a large distance between the two. However, I just read your post again, and you said you are using DirecTV to pick up 110 and 119.

I don't know a lot about DirecTV, but I don't think a single dish from them would pick up 110, 119, and 129.

If you have a Dish 1000, maybe physically moving it a little to the east, or a lot to the west would give you all 3 signals. However, yes you can use a second dish to pick up either 129 or 61.5.

Since you asked the question, I would say you are not familiar with all of the equipment. Therefore, may I recommend you list what you are planning on using, and I'm sure someone will give you a more accurate answer that may save you some headaches.
.....Receiver or receiver model numbers;
.....Dish type or types (legacy or DishPro LNBF)
.....Any switches (SW21, DP34, DPP44)
.....What programming (Standard, HD, Local, Any International)

Good luck.

PS - I believe it was end of March that the (ten) New Orleans locals were moved to 110, from 121 which required a SuperDish 121 dish.

Ahhhh this all madding. Yes I'm in Mandeville. I only had one tree fall unfortanetly it wasn't the right one. I'm getting such a limited shot at 119 and 110 that most of the techs have told me I can't hit the 129 so I thought a second dish would allow me to surely hit 61.5 and get the voom channels. My view from that position is unobstructed. Thank you very much for all the information.:)

You'll likely have better results from 61.5 vs. 129 anyway, judging by the numerous complaints about 129 in these threads. I can't recall ever reading something similar about 61.5. And as SmithWhity mentioned you can use a separate dish for either. Many folks have reported better results using a D500 for 110/119 and a separate D300 or 500 for 129 vs. using the D1000. That way you can optimize one for 110/119 and the other for 129. Optimizing a D1000 for all three is only possible in a very limited geographic area (does anyone know where?) due to the different signal paths vs. the fixed geometry of the D1000...

That must be one damned big tree to be blocking the 110 and 119 sat from where your at, a no line of site that far south is pretty much unheard of unless your living in a forest.

osu1991 said:
It is look at his pictures in directv forum, I forget which thread. He is pretty much surrounded.

Yes and I'm sure that a pine tree in the next good storm (Doesn't have to be a hurricane) will fall I hope not on anyone but because of the HOA rules I don't have much of a choice but let it be. I'm all for saving trees but having 17 100 foot trees in your average suburban lot is crazy. Almost all the lots around here are like this because of the rules. After Katrina I would say 1 in every 7 homes had a tree in it. In fact trees were the only real damage in this area. Homes close to Lake Ponchartrain got flooded but in West St. Tammany it was trees that did most of the damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)