DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 3/13/2008 6:38am - 5 changes

D

DigiSAT Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 03/15/2008 - 5 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 03/12/2008 10:00P - 03/13/2008 06:38A

Channel Moves:
6377 - KMBC moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 01 ConUS beam to EchoStar5 129W TP 04 ConUS beam (A)
6378 - KCTV moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 01 ConUS beam to EchoStar5 129W TP 04 ConUS beam (A)
6379 - KSHB moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 01 ConUS beam to EchoStar5 129W TP 12 ConUS beam (A)
6380 - WDAF moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 01 ConUS beam to EchoStar5 129W TP 12 ConUS beam (A)

Transponder Changes:
EchoStar5 129W TP 01 ConUS beam 8PSK removed from tables

Channels in the system: 3450
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available

These are the K.C. local hd??

Digi. I saw your post earler where tp 1 is now cleared. I wonder if they will add more locals to this sat or will they keep loading them up on 61.5

If no locals added here I wonder too if they will start adding those national hd here.

I checked the signal strength on TP's 4 and 12 this morning - both around 50. TP 1 was always a little weak (in the 60's to low 70's on the old scale). Hope this gives us a better lock on our locals. Of course, this could be temporary. Anyone know if KC is supposed to go over to 61.5 eventually?

Brad

I recorded "Eli Stone" off of KMBC's sat channel on Thursday night (after the transponder change). It was unwatchable, with a lot of dropouts and pixelization. I checked the size of the file, and it was 2.4GB. In comparison, "Lost," which I recorded OTA, was 7.4GB! 2.4GB equates (I believe) to about 5.25 Mb/sec average bitrate - WAY too low for quality HD.

The sat locals all seemed to be OK when I checked them on Sunday night. Hopefully Thursday's problems were just "growing pains."

Brad

I recorded "Eli Stone" off of KMBC's sat channel on Thursday night (after the transponder change). It was unwatchable, with a lot of dropouts and pixelization. I checked the size of the file, and it was 2.4GB. In comparison, "Lost," which I recorded OTA, was 7.4GB! 2.4GB equates (I believe) to about 5.25 Mb/sec average bitrate - WAY too low for quality HD.

The sat locals all seemed to be OK when I checked them on Sunday night. Hopefully Thursday's problems were just "growing pains."

Brad

Your OTA recording was in MPEG2 form. E* HD locals are in MPEG4 I believe (not sure as I do not have locals in my area). This equates to less space being taken up by the same broadcast, due to efficient compression. This is similar to a 1 hour recording from ESPN (MPEG2) and another 1 hour recording from ESPN2 (MPEG4). The MPEG4 version will require less space.

Your OTA recording was in MPEG2 form. E* HD locals are in MPEG4 I believe (not sure as I do not have locals in my area). This equates to less space being taken up by the same broadcast, due to efficient compression. This is similar to a 1 hour recording from ESPN (MPEG2) and another 1 hour recording from ESPN2 (MPEG4). The MPEG4 version will require less space.

That accounts for some of the difference, but not all. For example, a recording of "The Unit" off the sat channel was over 5GB. The recording on Thursday was less than half of that. Yes, CBS is 1080i and ABC is 720p, and that is PART of the difference, also. However, it is a fact that the "Eli Stone" recording, made on a clear night, was unwatchable. It's also a fact that the KC channels, which used to have their own transponder, now are on two transponders with six MPEG-4 local channels each. (See The List, 129W, TP's 4 and 12.) All that being said, they seem to be better now. I'll try another recording off a local sat channel and see if anything has changed.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)