DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/9/2008 1:00pm - 178 changes

so thus, I think he plays hardball to keep up their profits. :D

I don't doubt that at all !

But he makes more profit by keeping the prices down - through keeping the costs paid to programmers down. This makes the service more attractive and more affordable to a greater number of people.

There is a great "economy of scale" in satellite TV. A 300 million dollar satellite costs the same to operate if it serves 1 million customers as 12 million customers. Same with uplink centers.

If the customer uses "paperless billing" and "credit card autopay" :D , then the only per-customer costs are programmers' fees and phone representatives (the number of calls is roughly proportional to the number of customers). Dish tries to keep both of those down to the minimum - by holding out for low fees, and by using overseas outsourcing for CS reps.

The new service will be Vip only, why would they need the SD ch if they have the HD version already?
Darn good question. Perhaps they are testing now with existing feeds for eventual transmission of subchannels. Or they have an MPEG-4 SD receiver on the way.

The new service will be Vip only, why would they need the SD ch if they have the HD version already?
AFAIK the eastern arc will be MPEG4 only but NOT HD only. IOW all new subs will get an MPEG4 receiver whether or not they sub to an HD package. The idea is to use the transponders on the sats efficiently whether they are SD or HD channels.

Talon Dancer

I am glad I dropped Dish earlier this year. They offered nothing that I watch that isn't carried by BHN now and I got sick of paying for two services with the same programming. It was nice when Dish offered oodles of channels BHN didn't have, so carrying two services was justified. I got the best of both worlds and it wasn't that expensive. Here we are, 3-4 months after I quit and Dish has has no new Dish HD nationals. Despite the calls from Dish (even though I have asked them multiple times to stop calling me) crying out to me saying more HD nationals were coming and to hang tight. I am glad I didn't. Nothing new yet, as promised by one of the worst sales teams I have ever laughed at.

I will either wait until Verizon FIOS comes around in my neighborhood or go with DirecTV as my second provider. The advantage to Verizon is that I would get a second Internet provider (them) to pick up the slack. I have a BHN VO 15/2 with static IP and that is fine for business, but then when you get into my slingbox, online backups and video game time, it really isn't fun competing with prioritized website upload traffic. I need another provider for my "other" stuff here at home. Verizon doesn't offer the best HD yet, but they have the capacity.

On the other hand, Direct TV looks sexy with all their HD. I am not crazy abut the upfront cost of buying equipment that you are then only leasing. I would need two HD-DVRs and that carries a hefty pricetag. Yes, I realize they have specials where you get the first one for $100 or less after rebates, but that does nothing for the second unit, which I would need.

I had considered going back to Dish someday as my second provider (IN THE FUTURE,NOT ANYTIME SOON), but the way they have totally disrespected me by calling me even when I have asked them not to call me, is more than frustrating. They are playing target practice with their own foot at this point. If somebody says "STOP CALLING ME AND TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST," you should take that as a hint and stop calling them. You don't make an excuse that it can take 31 days to stop calling you from the time you request it. CSR- Do what I say. Stop bothering me. You have interruped many a phone conversation or meeting by wasting my time. I dropped Dish. I am not going to run back to Dish because of their empty promises.

Just for the record. When I left Dish, they made no attempt to keep me in the form of your typical, run of the mill retention department. They asked why I was leaving and that was it. Since then they have been really bothering me, trying to get me to sign back up.

That post was yesterday .

The wording implies that was a recent occurrence. If he already knew for sure, then he would not need to contact the NBC people.

Again, the fact that USA and SciFi were slates until a few days ago, indicates that the contract was signed a few days ago.

It's entirely possible that there was a verbal agreement weeks ago, but then some disagreement occurred over what originally looked to be a small detail.

Or that there was a verbal agreement by the negotiators, but it was vetoed by higher-ups.

UPDATE: The conjectures of mike123abc just above my post, also seem entirely possible... i.e. that the contracts are quote "signed", but they are not yet in force, because Dish is not in a position to comply with all requirements.

The point is that a certain constant 10-20% of posters, act like Dish Network is sadistically refusing to turn on the channels in order to frustrate their customers. In reality, they would like to provide all known channels to their customers today, but the channel providers want various things in return, and Dish are not always in a position to give the providers everything they ask for, and in fact, Dish often refuses to do so, in order to keep down their prices.

Did you read Scotts post from back in February where he said "but contacts at NBC Universal say that the deal is done, its just up to Dish to flip the switch"? So how do you get the contracts were signed only a few days ago when Scott says they were done back in February?

Did you read Scotts post from back in February where he said "but contacts at NBC Universal say that the deal is done, its just up to Dish to flip the switch"? So how do you get the contracts were signed only a few days ago when Scott says they were done back in February?

Well if Scott says so, it must be true since his contacts are never wrong. :rolleyes:

AFAIK the eastern arc will be MPEG4 only but NOT HD only. IOW all new subs will get an MPEG4 receiver whether or not they sub to an HD package. The idea is to use the transponders on the sats efficiently whether they are SD or HD channels.

Talon Dancer
Then perhaps the HD Enabling fee for non-HD subscriptions will finally go the way of the Dodo bird? Here's hoping (what a ridiculous fee)...
:)

Last edited:
HTML:
ADD  6300  WABC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 7

ADD  6301  WCBS{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 2

ADD  6302  WNBC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 4

ADD  6303  WNYW{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 5

ADD  6304  WPIX{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 11

Whats with all the SD notes on these channels that are HD?

WPIX-HD coming soon to NYC people maybe?
Well, they have the same channel numbers as the HD Channels, but they are labelled SD by them, not us. Probably a blooper on their part or they are testing another curve ball scenario. :)

Is Boston the same way?

Why have they uplinked by HD locals ton 61.5 when we can't get on our 1000 dish? I thought scott said they would be mirrored but the CSR said no and I could sign up for another 24 months and get a new dish. I currently have 2 months left on my 18 month commitment.

Why have they uplinked by HD locals ton 61.5 when we can't get on our 1000 dish? I thought scott said they would be mirrored but the CSR said no and I could sign up for another 24 months and get a new dish. I currently have 2 months left on my 18 month commitment.
From what I've read in this forum....

Adding wing dishes for the new HD local DMAs is "Plan B".

Plan A includes AMC-14 (or a spare) and possibly another sat that will allow Dish to have ALL their content available in MPEG4 that can be seen with a single dish (AKA 1000.4) pointed towards the east.

Plan A was delayed by the problems with AMC-14 reaching the correct orbital position (yet). So you can wait for Plan A or go with Plan B in the short term.

Talon Dancer

Plan A is the better way to go but how long will it be before AMC 14 gets there? (If it ever gets there.) Are the 1000.4 Dish made yet? I did talk to CSR after my first message and he said they will install a Dish 500 for free with NO commitment (which is Plan B) and they will be doing that until around May 1. How big is the 500 and is this what is called a wing dish? Also do you think I can trust the NO Commitment statement?? I had a bad experience with the No commitment thing with Direct.

From what I've read in this forum....

Adding wing dishes for the new HD local DMAs is "Plan B".

Plan A includes AMC-14 (or a spare) and possibly another sat that will allow Dish to have ALL their content available in MPEG4 that can be seen with a single dish (AKA 1000.4) pointed towards the east.

Plan A was delayed by the problems with AMC-14 reaching the correct orbital position (yet). So you can wait for Plan A or go with Plan B in the short term.

Talon Dancer

OK, two questions, are the Milwaukee channels live in HD now? Can anyone with 61.5 see them? The uplink report only shows SD moving to 61.5, but says nothing about Milwaukee HD.

Then, can I put my own dish up and point it to 61.5 or do I have to have Dish do it? Do I need anything else, switch-wise? I believe I have Dish 1000.

Thanks!

OK, two questions, are the Milwaukee channels live in HD now? Can anyone with 61.5 see them? The uplink report only shows SD moving to 61.5, but says nothing about Milwaukee HD.

Then, can I put my own dish up and point it to 61.5 or do I have to have Dish do it? Do I need anything else, switch-wise? I believe I have Dish 1000.

Thanks!
The HD locals are suppose to be available in Milwaukee on 61.5 They are noted on the Dish website as available and also by the CSR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts