DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/13/2008 11:08pm - Last 5 VOOMs removed

I could be wrong, but Charlie's tone indicates that He views Voom as a turkey with little popularity among viewers(Sorry, Voom fans!)and I personally think we will NEVER see Voom back on Dish. If so, the question becomes what channels will be added BEFORE the new satellites are launched and operational and WHEN will they be added?

I could be wrong, but Charlie's tone indicates that He views Voom as a turkey with little popularity among viewers(Sorry, Voom fans!)and I personally think we will NEVER see Voom back on Dish.
I don't know about this being the end of VOOM on E*. When the uplinks for the channels are removed, then we can believe that they are truly gone. Just turning them off for a few days could be part of the negotiation game. Think of them as poker chips that Charlie has just raised the bet with. If he wins, then VOOM comes back (maybe reorganized into fewer channels). If he is called or re-raised, then I expect VOOM to be gone for a long time.

If so, the question becomes what channels will be added BEFORE the new satellites are launched and operational and WHEN will they be added?
If E* has reached a settlement with Fox, then expect the Fox HD channels to be uplinked shortly. I also expect the rest of the HBO channels to be uplinked. Not much room for anything else unless the VOOM channels are completely removed.

I'll take NESNHD 24/7 as a replacement. I was going to ask for CCSNE, but I think that is being uplinked today anyways. After the NBA season i mught add.

I look for Charlie to try to make more$.

I look for the HBO, Starz, TMC, hd suites

I read last night that Encore hd will be coming back from the dead in July.

Just my take on things.:)

I have a question, didn't Dish own a financial stake in VOOM? I thought they had bought a 20 or 25 % stake in Voom back a few years ago. Maybe I am wrong, but if I am remembering correctly why would Dish under mine a company they own?

Well I could take or leave Voom, so as long as they add another 15 HD channels in its place that will be all right with me, but if they don't add some new HD soon to replace Voom then that will be very disappointing.

Conspiracy theory

If Voom channels are actually removed (not just tables) then we would be able to tell if channels are subsequently added - such as Fox, HBO, etc. BUT, if they keep the channels active would we know if they quietly swapped a Voom channel for a Fox channel? I'm thinking it would be a lot harder to detect. :D

If I was a poker player planning to make a big splash AND I was the type to be annoyed when scooped by a certain web site, that's how I would do it. ;)

What new HD? The question keeps being asked and NO ONE answers.

What channels that ACTUALLY have HD content are there to be added? I am not talking about channels with HD after their names that sound good. I am talking about channels with 24/7 commercial free HD content!

That is what is being replaced.

See ya
Tony

What channels that ACTUALLY have HD content are there to be added? I am not talking about channels with HD after their names that sound good. I am talking about channels with 24/7 commercial free HD content!

I am Soooooooooo tired of this line of argument.

What good is 24/7 HD content if it is the same stuff repeated OVER and OVER and OVER again? How many times can you watch the Collective Intelligence episode about collecting toy trains? I collect toy trains. I have seen this about 10 times and that is ENUF! Sure, the video is gorgeous. But come on.

The Voom channels were real interesting to me for about the first three months when I first got HD. Then once I had seen everything, I very rarely tuned them in again.

As to the other channels, the fact is almost all of the NEW PROGRAMMING on Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Science, History, Biography, A&E, Spike, Speed, MTV is being shot in HD. CNN, CNBC and ESPNnews are doing innovative things with the extra real estate and building up their capabilities.

On most of these channels there is much more SD than HD. Over time that will change. When History first came out in HD last fall, almost nothing was in HD. Now, almost everything in Prime Time is, and that will filter to the rest of the day. Just like Nat Geo has.

I am an HDTV snob. There are very few things I watch in SD, yet I rarely watched Voom. Or HD net or Discovery Home Theater. Sure I have to hunt around for stuff in true HD, but I have a DVR and that is part of the sport. Very rarely do I not have something recorded or live to watch in HD.

Voom was not going anywhere. It was a TOTAL WASTE of BANDWIDTH.

Get over it. Please.

Agreed!

What good is 24/7 HD content if it is the same stuff repeated OVER and OVER and OVER again? How many times can you watch the Collective Intelligence episode about collecting toy trains? I collect toy trains. I have seen this about 10 times and that is ENUF! Sure, the video is gorgeous. But come on.

The Voom channels were real interesting to me for about the first three months when I first got HD. Then once I had seen everything, I very rarely tuned them in again.

As to the other channels, the fact is almost all of the NEW PROGRAMMING on Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Science, History, Biography, A&E, Spike, Speed, MTV is being shot in HD. CNN, CNBC and ESPNnews are doing innovative things with the extra real estate and building up their capabilities.

On most of these channels there is much more SD than HD. Over time that will change. When History first came out in HD last fall, almost nothing was in HD. Now, almost everything in Prime Time is, and that will filter to the rest of the day. Just like Nat Geo has.

I am an HDTV snob. There are very few things I watch in SD, yet I rarely watched Voom. Or HD net or Discovery Home Theater. Sure I have to hunt around for stuff in true HD, but I have a DVR and that is part of the sport. Very rarely do I not have something recorded or live to watch in HD.

Get over it. Please.

My sentiments exactly. Well stated, bro.

Get over it. Please.

I agree with you as well. I did love the VOOM channels when I first got Dish HD 2 years ago, but after a couple of months I never watched 90% of their channels. Really RAVE was the only channel I watched, so I am sad to see that go, but with MHD's so-so lineup and watching PBS's soundstand or Austin city Limits my concert HD fix will probably be ok.

What good is 24/7 HD content if it is the same stuff repeated OVER and OVER and OVER again?

What good are ANY of the rerun cable channels out there. They just run the same stuff over and over and over again!!!

Let's take a look at's what's on TV now.
TNT ... Oh look! An ER episode they've shown 500 times today.
How about Spike! HEY, look, America's Wildest Police Chaces from 1998 for the 7 billionth time.
TV Land... Look Bill Cosby for the 8 billionth time!
Look Lifetime has Golden Girls on. Are there new episodes of this?

World Cinema (Voom Movies), Film Fest did NOT repeat as much as some suggested. They did play two or three movies a day, but let's look at HBO and see how many times the same old movie is played in a month on the 8 channels.

27/7 content of stuff you've never seen is still new, no matter what the date is on the description.

I am also SOOOOO tired of the "they were nothing but reruns" answer. They WEREN'T all reruns. Yes there were a lot of reruns, but really not much more than any other non-news cable channel I can think of!

Right, some large % of all programming available is some sort of rerun. However, what I didn't like about some of the Voom channels was the waste of a whole day's programming being dedicated to 3 or 4 programs, repeated all day.

Today on Monsters:

Bloodstone: Subspecies 2
First Man Into Space
Creation of the Humanoids

Over and over and over again. To me, particularly in the age of DVRs, this is a waste of programming time.