DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/22/2008 4:09pm - 49 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is that why we get pixelation, because the programs sometimes need more bandwidth than is available.

It can be the cause. Also remember the original program is limited in bandwidth by the content provider. They may have a 12 mbit MPEG-2 stream provided, it could pixelate and Dish then uses MPEG-4 to encode the pixelation. Content providers multiplex too, but hopefully at much better bit rates.

They've been using 7 HD channels in MPEG4 per transponder for many months now.

I rather have less channels with better quality. I was not paying attention, was there a noticeable drop in picture quality when they went from 6 to 7

I rather have less channels with better quality. I was not paying attention, was there a noticeable drop in picture quality when they went from 6 to 7

Once the 100+ HDs are up and running, expect a DISH "$30 HD Absolute Deal" blitz aimed at all cable and OTA subs, maybe even some DirecTV subs. It will turn the quarterly new sub additions around and by Christmas this year prepare to see some real good numbers since a lot more people will be buying lower cost HD sets for the first time to beat the 2009 deadline, and they will appreciate the value of this DISH package to take the advantage of their new HD sets without breaking the bank.

Nope. The poll results had some folks even saying it looked better.

I would have to agree with the poll results. I think the overall HD picture quality on Dish is as good as other providers. I had Comcast and Dish both last fall, and comcast supposedly had full-bandwidth 1920 X 1080 with higher bitrates, but I could not see any substantial difference on either my Sony XBR-CRT or my HD LCD monitor.

So, a 4x3 SD upconverted video uses 75% of the bitrate needed for a full 16x9 HD video - because 25% of the image never changes. that's the case whether it is black bars or gray bars with the words "ESPN HD".

Ironically, 4x3 SD upconverted video only uses 75% of the bandwidth needed for stretch-o-vision - another reason why Dish Network should put some pressure on channels that use it.

It's not quite that simple, but basically you're right.

Although I ran some tests the other day that I posted in a different thread, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Basically, I took a 30 second SD clip and upconverted it to 720p. Then I encoded them both to variable bitrate MPEG-2, and compared the file size.

I was trying to make a point to these people who seem to think that an upconverted SD picture doesn't take up as much room as an HD picture, which is absurd. But since I was doing it, I tried to do one stretched and one pillarboxed on the upconverts. I was surprised that the files were the same size.

However, I now realize that there was a maximum bitrate limit set and the encoder was simply pushing both files to the limit. If I really analyzed the files carefully, I would have probably found that the pillarbox version looked a bit better.

Of course, the multiplexers work in a much more sophisticated way. I suppose that with seven channels on a transponder- if 4 of them are showing 4:3, the other 3 true HD programs will look slightly better than if there were 7 true HD channels on the same transponder.

Basically, as the amount of true HD increases, the overall picture quality will drop. Slightly.

HD Channel Count

If Directv counted like DISH they have over 115 already.

As best as I can tell they really do count the same way now...which is to say they both still overestimate by counting RSNs...

In any event based on this counting I would seen dish at 100+ if they add another 20...Direct at 95...

In any event we'll be approaching the point where channel count will almost not matter anymore...almost...

As best as I can tell they really do count the same way now...which is to say they both still overestimate by counting RSNs...

In any event based on this counting I would seen dish at 100+ if they add another 20...Direct at 95...

In any event we'll be approaching the point where channel count will almost not matter anymore...almost...
Why not count all of the RSN's. Just like premium channels, subs can get all of them 24/7 with various sports packages (I know pro sport are blacked out with just the standard sports pack, but not if one adds all of the individual sports packages).

Why not count all of the RSN's. Just like premium channels, subs can get all of them 24/7 with various sports packages (I know pro sport are blacked out with just the standard sports pack, but not if one adds all of the individual sports packages).

I didn't you could get all the sports channel even with the sports pak. I live in Reds territory, the only channel available in FSN Cincinnati. On the website, I am unable to subscribe to sports package. I do not know why. I have never called CSR about this.

The problem is that Dish does not show RSNs that they count as HD channels 24/7. Just when an "HD" event happens. Then it turns out Dish does not even have the capacity to keep up with current "HD" events and if for example too many MLB games are on at once, some are not in HD.

So they count a bunch of part time HD event channels that they do not have the capacity to show in HD when there is a bunch of content to show.

Yes you can sub to the RSN package and have all the pro games (the ones in HD) blacked out. Dish does not carry NFL or MLBEI packages of course so only NBA or NHL if you sub to them can you see more than one HD channel at a time.

The problem is that Dish does not show RSNs that they count as HD channels 24/7. Just when an "HD" event happens. Then it turns out Dish does not even have the capacity to keep up with current "HD" events and if for example too many MLB games are on at once, some are not in HD.

So they count a bunch of part time HD event channels that they do not have the capacity to show in HD when there is a bunch of content to show.

Yes you can sub to the RSN package and have all the pro games (the ones in HD) blacked out. Dish does not carry NFL or MLBEI packages of course so only NBA or NHL if you sub to them can you see more than one HD channel at a time.
Which is probably why one can make the case that Direct CAN count their RSN's and Dish CANNOT.

I have the dish everything package, but got rid of the HD content when they dropped VOOM

Since I get all the premiums, i.e. HBO, Showtime, etc. I receive the HD on those along with the locals without the extra 20 buck fee.

I suspecct Charlie will just had more HBO/Showtime HD, which I will get anyway

I have the dish everything package, but got rid of the HD content when they dropped VOOM

Since I get all the premiums, i.e. HBO, Showtime, etc. I receive the HD on those along with the locals without the extra 20 buck fee.

I suspecct Charlie will just had more HBO/Showtime HD, which I will get anyway

I had eggs for breakfast yesterday, but I am having cottage cheese for breakfast today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts