DishNetwork/ Wild Blue Internet service dying again?

DSS4Free

Original poster
May 10, 2004
So here I am, a new tech for Dish Internet powered by Wildblue. Had nothing but problems with these things. All but one of my customers are happy, and that one person is not happy at all. He has really bad fluctuating upload speeds on the platinum package. He has been getting upload speeds ranging from 60K to 212K, usually around 60. He called wildblue and they said that the dish is not properly aligned yet he has a clear LOS and under the SVT his lights are all green, so no install problem. His down speeds are constantly 1.5 to 1.7mb so he is getting what he paid for there. I have checked upstream speeds on most all of my customers and they all do the same thing...usually around 60-80kb.

Now, here is what I have come up with on this. This is the same problem that was happening with the Anik satellite when they filled it up and WB shut down the spot beams to our area because people where getting upstream speeds of like 28.8kb. Also, we have contacted CVS to order more equipment and they notified us that WB is not sending them any more equipment THIS MONTH!! Also, CVS rep said Wildblue 1 satellite is filling up quicker than expected and he thinks it will be full in the next 30 days.

Has anyone else heard this, and does anyone have any ideas on how to get my customers up speed fixed? I think it is on WB end, but they tell the customer that it is my fault. I don't quite see how. There is no way to even peak the transmit side. Like I said, all the lights in the SVT are green anyways, so that means I did the install correctly.

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I had DirecWay a few years back. While I realize we are talking about WildBlue, my upload speeds would range from 50k to 100k. In all honesty, I am not quite sure why customers would be complaining with 60k uploads. If they are, I suspect they are either playing online games or hosting a website, FTP server, etc. These are probably in violation of WildBlue's Terms Of Service. I never found my upload speeds to be a concern when I had DirecWay (they most always hovered around 50k). The only reason I switched to my current ISP (ClearWave from Midwest Wireless) is because I get the same speeds for $15 less per month. Not too many options in rural America, and anything over dial-up is a huge plus (IMO).

Latency is a killer for online gaming and I don't see any way of it being realistic to try online gaming over satellite Internet access (believe me, I tried).

60 up is average in my experience with wildblue. On both Anik and Wildblue 1 thats about average.
I get the occasional customer that also complains about the upload speeds so I ask them how they knew their upload speeds were that low. Most of the time they say that there is a delay in their browsing.
If they are in the store, i'll show them my computer, do a little browsing, show them how snappy it is, then run a speed test for them to see my results. I just did it on this computer and my upload is about 75, and that is on a cable modem. But that is more than enough for normal browsing. Really the only way they are going to notice a problem with speeds like that is as wildecomputers said... if they are gaming, hosting, ect.
If they are on the phone I just kinda try to explain all that to them.
Now, what the real problem is, is the latency... which there is not much you can do about that.
I have found that there is a lot more teaching that has to go on with these systems during the sales pitch to make the customer is happy. I make sure to explain the latency issue in a lot of detail, to make sure the customer knows about it, and isn't surprised about it after the install is done.

I appreciate the comments guys, and I have found that this is average upload speed of all my customers. The only question that I haven't gotten an answer on... is Wild Blue dying again? Is the sat full already? Does anyone know?

Is wildblue with dishnetwork? or Directv? I heard they were going to partner up with directv?

they work with anyone that will partner with them... i've seen advertisements from electic companys, phone companys, ect... but yeah, they are currently partnered up with Dish Network... I don't know about anything with directv, but it wouldnt surprise me

Wild Blue is alright

Wild blue should strictly be used when the only available option is dial up. Wild blue satellite runs at a decent speed, but if you can get dsl or cable broadband internet, get that.

Wildblue installs are going very strong in my area.

Wild blue should strictly be used when the only available option is dial up. Wild blue satellite runs at a decent speed, but if you can get dsl or cable broadband internet, get that.

I agree. I pay only $10 more a month for Comcast HSI and get 6000dn/384up.

I actually wish Wildblue was a little faster for around $40 a month and Id drop Comcast all together. I do not need alot of speed but 1500 would be nice. Hopefully the price will come down so I can swtitch.

I agree. I pay only $10 more a month for Comcast HSI and get 6000dn/384up.

I actually wish Wildblue was a little faster for around $40 a month and Id drop Comcast all together. I do not need alot of speed but 1500 would be nice. Hopefully the price will come down so I can swtitch.

as previously mentioned, if you have cable or dsl available, dont even consider satellite... even if the download numbers on paper were better, you still have the latency issue involved with satellite. i install these things and the latency is the biggest downfall to satellite internet

Birddoggy is absolutely right. Wildblue is a great service - but if you have any (and I mean ANY) other options for local broadband, go with them. I'm a WB tech, and I've found a lot of people just don't have the patience for the latency that comes with Satellite internet. I use it every day, and really don't mind it - but I'm patient. I have cable (Suddenlink) at home, and its not all that much faster, but the latency is the big difference - and what matters to so many people.

Other problems people don't understand about the Dish/Wildblue Service - there's no 30 day guarantee, so you better know what you're getting yourself into, and that speeds (really, any internet service is this way) are "UP TO" the advertised speeds - so no one can guarantee you 256kbps upload - although I have seen it. But on our two Platinum level demo machines, they usually average 90-150kbps upload. Wildblue seems to optimize the service for downloads, not uploads. Go Figure.

When you guys talk about the latency issue, I understand what it is due the fact that the communication between satellites has to take place, but what I'd like to know is WHERE you see the results of latency. I'm getting WB installed today, if I have a LOS for the standard install. I'm on dial-up now and that is the only thing available, so satellite internet is the only option at this time, but I want to know, am I going to see slow web page loadings, no faster than my current dial-up connection? I understand gaming is out of the question and that's no big deal to me because my family doesn't do any online gaming and aren't looking to. I just want faster browsing and the ability to download updates, etc... in a timely fashion. Will that be the case?

With regards to the latency question, it's not a matter or slower(er) downloads, but a case of web-page reaction/creation. For instance, if you click on a hyperlink, the webpage starts developing almost instantly; and usually completed in a matter of seconds. The latency issue is such that the the "development" stage will sometimes take a second or two before anything starts to show on your screen. Once something DOES show up, it's a fairly quick (*almost* as quick as a typical DSL or cable-modem) process.

I hope that helps.

It was a moot question anyway. The installer couldn't get LOS at the point where it would be mounted on the wall/eve of the house and was going to charge $125 extra for a pole mount in the yard. I told him it wasn't worth the extra $$$ to me. So, I'm still on dialup.

It was a moot question anyway. The installer couldn't get LOS at the point where it would be mounted on the wall/eve of the house and was going to charge $125 extra for a pole mount in the yard. I told him it wasn't worth the extra $$$ to me. So, I'm still on dialup.

If it was me, I'd try another dealer/retailer to see if they would charge less for the pole-mount. Tate could probably give you a better idea as to what a fair $$$ figure would be for a pole-mount, plus cable burial.

I beg your pardon the pole mount is not in a standard install. The pole alone costs wholesale $35. It is an odd o.d. size. My suggestion is that the home owner set a pole, like 2 inch rigid conduit, where the tech says los is good and then bury your own cable. The dealer should be brought into the picture and maybe he will throw in the adapter.

You would think that customers would only order wild blue when the only option is dial up, but suprisely these installs are spring up in detroit and surrounding cities where you can get almost any type of dsl or cable internet service. I really don't why some of these customer would order this service when they can get a faster speed and save alot of money. Who know? To tell you I feel bad for the customer after I am done with the install and I try out their new internet service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts