Dishonline Over?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
Are we allowed to talk about the dishonline beta test? I got an email that they are dropping it, for now, and sending new software (448) out on Tuesday.

Tom in TX

I got the same message. Dishonline is still up and working but the guide is missing. I was able to set a number of timers and manage my recordings via the web. I liked it, but the interface seemed kind of clunky. I would have liked it to look more like the 622 guide.

I didn't really have any problems with the software. A couple of times the timers didn't show up. But if I logged out and back in it usually worked.

I was totally underwhelmed by the entire experience. None of my recording started. And I can't tell what episode number a show is anymore from the online info. I welcome the release of a non beta software that gets rid of this software.

My thoughts are they found out how many problems they still really have and how slow and clunky it is. They'll work on a revision and we'll test again at later date.

I'm curious as to what this next software update will do/fix.

I got the same email. Outside of the slow web interface, my receiver performed fine through all the tests I put it through. I don't think I'd use the feature all the time, but there have been times when I wish I could set a timer from work before I got home and missed the show.

It will be interesting to see what L4.48 does or breaks.

I was not part of the beta group but I did notice on Dish Online website that there is information on Dish DVR timer. Clicking the link gives you the instruction on setting up your receiver. Looks like one additional web activation option under broadband.

So this sound like it will get pushed to the masses.

I agree with others. The web interface with Dishonline was slow and clunky. I doubt this is the final product, rather just a way to test it out. I would have liked to access to more functionality on the 622. It would have been nice to get the caller id too and to get to the Dishonline movies. You could request that Dishonline start downloading a movie to the 622/722.

And remember, they've been beta testing this with their core testers for 6-9 months ! I really wonder how useful these testers really are.... Are they afraid to be critical out of fear of being dropped as testers ? I've been a beta tester for lots of PC software and they *want* you to try and break things. Dish does too, I'd hope, but until they pulled in a "new" group of testers did they get honest reports, it seems.

L4.48 will NOT include any web timer scheduling , in fact it will remove this feature from the beta testers . That is what my email said. They said that they are stopping the testing due to technical problems that were causing instability in the web scheduling feature. I didn't like the online site. It was clunky and often would lock up when I attempted to use it. I really don't see where this feature would be of any use to me personally, even though I tried to test it.

Oh it worked but I didn't like how long it took to get a response from the website to get it to work. If I tried to do to many things,one after another it would lock up and I would have to sign out and start over. I guess if you work around computers all day it would come in handy but I don't have access to the internet at work so it's no use to me.

I had a program show up in My Recordings that I did not record. It was not in my 722. I like using Slingbox bunches better than using DishOnline.

When you consider what it was doing: receiving instructions from you , transmitting those instructions back to your 622/722, receiving a confirmation that the command was carried out and reporting that to you, it was not really that slow at all.

The TiVo version was faster to take a command, but it did not communicate with the receiver until a daily update - now that's clunky.

Since the trial is now over, I guess it's ok to talk about it. :)

Dish REALLY needs to take a look at DirecTV's remote programing beta. Dish Networks was just PAINFULL to use as it was in the slow ass flash interface instead of just pure HTML like DirecTV does. The Dish Network interface only listed a small amount of channels at a time and to "page up" in the online guide took 10 - 15 seconds to grab the next page of data.

In addition the majority of channels I watch and record from were not even listed in the guide making the feature useless.

DishONLINE needs to be REDONE FROM SCRATCH so that any web browser can access it. Get rid of the flash and also give us an option to shut the god dang movies preview off.

In addition if Dish Network is a SATELLITE company providing a TV service, why the hell do they have political links to the DNC as one of Dish Networks links? Keep serving TV and keep the politics out of it.

For many of us I think its safe to say it may be quicker to drive home from work and set a timer by hand then try using Dish Networks web programming interface as it was that painfully slow.

Hey Dish is you want to see how a satellite company does remote DVR programming email me and I will give you the username and password to my DirecTV account.

ok.. first I think you may be a bit harsh on dish.. the software was much better in features than anything I've seen out there (not that all of them work well if at all).. the fact is I could virtually access my entire system from the web which while cool, was ungodly painful via flash..

who ever decided to go down that road must be the same people I keep cleaning up after changing system from activex and flash to full html..

An HTML version of the guide would be so much easier I could write a simple demo in a weekend. Take content from tv as xml take recordings from box as xml and put a node around them.. create a simple xslt that converts the data into html.. slap it in a div, add some CSS to limit the size and make it scroll, and amazing enough you would have a simple html version with minimal work.. I bet tvguide.com does the same thing..

It's funny I don't think tivo has much to worry about from dish, tivo's very well polished from coding to beta testing.. dish reminds me of a new group of codeders who coded well above their capabilities and now can't make changes without breaking things.. and what's worse is the company probably had people that could fix the mess they are in, but they need to get more features which keeps them in the same crappy loop..

Anyway, I think dish needs a shake up in their upper ranks of development. Replace the VP, Directors, etc. You can't blame the developers for simply doing the job their forced to do. Someone in upper management should have known better than to allow this design to flurish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)