Dishonline Over?

also the update speed was amazing.. I loved putting in a command and seeing it there within a minute, not sure if they could keep that up as the number of users increases..

I hope the purpose of the beta was to test the ability to access the information on the DVR and NOT to test the interface. The web interface was lousy. I agree with others, lose the movie trailers.

It was slow, but not as slow as some are describing it to be. I will cut them some slack because it was listed as a "known issue" in the introduction email...
6) User interaction refresh time is slow.
I was impressed with the variety of options that were either implemented or planned. I agree it was almost useless to me though since the channels I watch were not in the guide, so I could not possibly schedule the shows I had planned to try it with...

I am sure some of the slow speed was on the account of just having the video load every time that you made a change because it refreshes. Also the 70 ads were not helping either. in order for that to become a viable option in my opinion is have a seperate dedicated page just for that with nothing fancy on it. may help the load times, exspecially for thise that may have dial-up. (I have Cable internet, so for me to complain about slow speeds would mean it is really slow) However the schedual page was ok, search was ok, but maybe not the best, and the info coming from your DVR was nice. As long as we are doing that we should basically have full control over the system, ability to control the DVR in all way that we can at home. My final verdict, nice concept, needs some tweaking, but could be a very usefull tool once they get some bugs worked out of it.

To be honest, I use my Slingbox to remotely access my 622s and schedule recording. Slingbox rocks!:)

To be brutally honest, Dish Network needs to incorporate Sling technology into all of their upcoming receiver products.:D

Hopefully, the VOD feature will continue to evolve and improve.

Off-topic question...what ever happened to that SlingBox-like box Scott reviewed at CES about a year or so ago...did they ever work out the bugs? Also, what was it called?

(I have Cable internet, so for me to complain about slow speeds would mean it is really slow)
Your fast connection doesn't mean squat when it's going to a "slow" website or one that's overloaded with connections.

The Flash interface was a poor choice to use.... As someone said earlier, the speed that the receiver got the change was amazing though. It was almost as if you were directly interacting with the box vs the box accepting the commands you gave it. People said the receivers make outbound connections to (2) IPs but they only do it once every 60 seconds. That implied the box would check a remote server and ask "do you have any changes for me?", as in a timer creation. That would mean it could take up to 1m59s (worst case) to update on the receiver itself. I could create a timer and in the ~10 seconds it took me to pick up the remote and get into the daily schedule, my new timer was already there.

Since the trial is now over, I guess it's ok to talk about it. :)

Dish REALLY needs to take a look at DirecTV's remote programing beta. Dish Networks was just PAINFULL to use as it was in the slow ass flash interface instead of just pure HTML like DirecTV does. The Dish Network interface only listed a small amount of channels at a time and to "page up" in the online guide took 10 - 15 seconds to grab the next page of data.

In addition the majority of channels I watch and record from were not even listed in the guide making the feature useless.

DishONLINE needs to be REDONE FROM SCRATCH so that any web browser can access it. Get rid of the flash and also give us an option to shut the god dang movies preview off.

In addition if Dish Network is a SATELLITE company providing a TV service, why the hell do they have political links to the DNC as one of Dish Networks links? Keep serving TV and keep the politics out of it.

For many of us I think its safe to say it may be quicker to drive home from work and set a timer by hand then try using Dish Networks web programming interface as it was that painfully slow.

Hey Dish is you want to see how a satellite company does remote DVR programming email me and I will give you the username and password to my DirecTV account.

I agree with what you post about the dishonline service. This feature was slow clunky and Yes I could walk to the other room where my 622 was and set or delete a timer faster than using their website. It often would lock up and I would have to sign out and restart the process . I won't be using this web scheduling or the video on demand over the internet till they update it for the 21st century.

Lousy website, great feature, when I was unable to access my slingbox whilst helping my inlaws this software helped, hopefully they will be rolling out much more polished version for an actual release or beta 2. Dish thanks for the experience now lets see you take the info we have provided and run with it.

I am at a total loss to explain why Dish has so much trouble adding features that work right the first time. Yes, I know the old axiom about how any project of any significant size will always have bugs, but come on, Dish is the sole provider of hardware, firmware, and software for their service, it's not like PCs where you don't know what the hell the customer is going to do to his system. And this particular feature was targeted at only two very similar models, not the whole range of receivers they have (which should be replaced or decommissioned as fast as possible, but that's a whole other topic).

So, now that DirecTV is bringing this to their DVRs, what is the chance that Dish Network will resurrect or rework this feature to a point at which it is 'usable'?

Does anyone have any connections within Dish Network, through which this question could be asked?

Spence

EDITED - Okay, I see that Dish Network's site is still "live".
Dish Online
...and still very slow. Everything I'm seeing is that the infrastructure is still there, they only need to optimize it and re-enable the service correct?

The DishOnline website was up long before the remote-interface option was tested. It's got a lot of other (worthless) stuff available.

I don't think Dish has dropped this feature, they're just trying to improve it. I personally think it's *fine* on the receiver side. It's the web-side that needs re-worked (a lot).

Too bad about Dish ending their Dish on line scheduling. However, why is this in the DirecTV HD discussion forum? Our DVR Scheduling works fine. Could a mod move this thread?

Too bad about Dish ending their Dish on line scheduling. However, why is this in the DirecTV HD discussion forum? Our DVR Scheduling works fine. Could a mod move this thread?
  • Dish Has not put an end to Dish On Line Scheduling
why is this in the DirecTV HD discussion forum?
  • I can't speak for other posters, but my post was a 'back-handed compliment' to DTV in that I was wondering if this would inspire Dish Network to rededicate efforts toward bringing this feature to Dish Network subscribers (as their beta web site allegedly sucked). :hatsoff:
Sorry to tread on your turf Newshawk. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I use my Slingbox to remotely access my 622s and schedule recording. Slingbox rocks!:)

To be brutally honest, Dish Network needs to incorporate Sling technology into all of their upcoming receiver products.:D

Hopefully, the VOD feature will continue to evolve and improve.

Off-topic question...what ever happened to that SlingBox-like box Scott reviewed at CES about a year or so ago...did they ever work out the bugs? Also, what was it called?

I want my SVP722(722 with sling box) come on dish get off your behind and offer this product or I Am-------:cool:

How soon is "real soon"

Well if you can answer this question then you can become rich!!!

It maybe today or seven years from now who knows what soon means in Dish speak. Did I make the soon soon enough?? who knows and will it soon ever happen. Oky that is enough of the soons from me.:tux:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)