DishPointer accuracy

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I have recently been using the DishPointer to do some site surveys. I bought a Motorola Droid A855 to use the DishPointer program. I was told that this phone is one of the best for DishPointer.

So far the DishPointer does not seem to be working properly. When I scan the arc the DishPointer gives me a location of the Satellites relative to my location. When I recheck the arc from the exact same location, the Satellites are often shifted from my original reading.

I performed a further test at my own property. I found a recognizable location in my yard and scanned the arc using the DishPointer on my phone. I located Intelsat 50W right over the peak of my neighbors house. When I checked the arc using the DishPointer program online, it gave me a completely different result.

I have found that the DishPointer app on my phone will often give you different readings from the exact same location.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Steve

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I have noted that on some phones it does seem a little off but not by much. Hold your phone out and make a big 8 motion like your drawing a large number 8. This makes you look silly but calibrates the compass. So far it works great on my RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR via Satelliteguys Reader

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I agree. I have found recalibrating the compass is important to the accuracy.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Odd that Allen has not replied to this, but anyway, I was out today and my Razr for the first time was reading wrong....I calibrated it and all was fine, but it did scare me for a moment.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Odd that Allen has not replied to this.....
Because your answer was spot on. You need to calibrate each time you use the phone. Just swing the phone in a figure 8 motion.

navigates

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 10, 2008
Los Angeles
Because your answer was spot on. You need to calibrate each time you use the phone. Just swing the phone in a figure 8 motion.
good suggestion. When the sats show incorrectly, perform the 8 horizontal motion and then move slightly away and rescan the sky. There may also be some magnetism that interferes with the sat search.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I have this issue of each time I have to upgrade my phone, this past time I changed providers, now when I go to load the software it wants me to pay again ... ugh, all this because I originally downloaded from the computer not the play store.

Therefore I cannot use the app any longer.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
As a professional installer I find the phone aps are good enough to give you a general idea where the satellites are located. If there are no trees or tall buildings then the app works fine.

If the line of site is tight, then I will always pull out my trusty inclinometer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)