DishPointer Line of Sight iPhone App

Status

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
UPDATE: This app has been superseded by the new DishPointer AR Pro and DishPointer Augmented Reality apps which are far more superior than this app. Please look for these apps in the iTunes store. Alan

DishPointer LOS is an application for your iPhone that will help you see if you have a clear line of sight to the satellites in the sky!

Check out any line of sight issues with this iPhone App. Just point your iPhone at the sky, tilt it until you get the right angle and then switch on the the camera preview. If there is a clear sky right at the center of the screen, you’re good to go. Simple but very effective.

The DishPointer Line of Sight Application can be downloaded from the Apple iTunes Store by CLICKING HERE.

If you have any questions about the DishPointer Line of Sight application please post them in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
How to use DishPointer Line of Sight:

• Once you know if in which direction to point the dish (see the DishPointer Maps or DishPointer Compass iPhone apps), hold your iphone up with the camera facing the sky. The angle at which you’re holding it is displayed on the screen. In addition, the two satellite positions which have this elevation at your location is given.
  • After you’ve found the right angle, hold the iPhone still and tap the camera button and focus at the center of the screen. In the camera preview, if there are no obstacles at the center of the screen, there are no line of sight issues. If there is a tree or a building, you will need to find another location for your dish.
  • If you wish, you can then take a picture and a target cross is overlayed at the center to verify clear line of sight to the satellite.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
This is for any iPhone. You should first see a white screen with the degrees in a box, underneath satellite positions matching the elevation and a camera symbol. Once you got the iPhone tilted, tap the camera symbol and look at the center of the screen. If there is a clear sky, you are ok. No need to go much further than that, though if you like you can take a picture and the target cross gets superimposed on the picture (not the live camera).

Initially, the target cross was part of the live camera preview but that got rejected by Apple. It would have been better but think it's still helpful as it is.

corvette1022

Aug 26, 2009
Midwest
Is there a way to store the photo in the phone so I can attach it to my sight survey form? Also is there a way to make sure the cross is on the satellite do to the fact that I have a very shaky hand.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
It would be possible to store the picture but not with the cross on top. If that's still useful, I'll add that feature.

If you also want the cross, you could take a screenshot of the display: Just press the power and home button at the same time. That picture gets saved in your album but the resolution won't be that great, just 320 x 480.

You need to hold the phone still when pressing the camera button and then again to take the picture. It would be a lot better if the cross and the elevations were on top of the live camera preview but as said before, not allowed at the moment.

safeyneh

Aug 30, 2009
vancouver
hi guys i have a quick? if i am in high rise 28 floor.does i phone Apple gives different data from ones on 1st floor .or not how about elevation angel or lat and longitude.any body knows please help. the height is about 250 feet from the first floor installing on balcony. thanks i am new here.

safeyneh

Aug 30, 2009
vancouver
hello guys anybody can tell me if i check i phone on the ground is it different from higher level to setup a Sat on balcony around 28 floor height.i mean these map show if i am going to install in the backyard OR NOT what is different .OR IT DOES NT A MATTER .I AM WONDERING TO KNOW THAT. THANKS GUYS

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The amount of difference even that high up is almost nothing, maybe 0.0000000001% considering your aiming at a satellite which is the size of a small car that is 22,500 miles in the sky.

A couple feet off the ground even 28 stories is not going to make a difference. :)

smokeythebear

Sep 7, 2009
Alaska
After reading some of the questions I understand a little bit. I agree it would nice to have the red crossbar so you can take a live snapshot. The zoom on the camera would be great toget a better idea to see the spot. Maybe you can work it in a upgrade? Can you have your own site for the live crossbar? What do you think of the zooming of the camera idea ? Is new app that is coming out work with 3G?

Thank you

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The iPhone camera does not have zoom. Anything else is just enlarging the area.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Southern hemisphere bugfix - satellite positions were not displayed for the given angle

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
I was very excited when I learned of this innovative app. I downloaded DishPointer LOS with the understanding that it would provide features similar to an enhanced electronic sighting inclinometer and sighting compass. The app is novel in the current stage of development, but not a replacement for either sighting function when determining LOS for a specific satellite. It is difficult to determine the azimuth for a specific satellite when only the east and west satellite positions are displayed.

Would it be possible to add the orbital slot position and named satellite for the center of the screen or an overlay of the arc with the visible and named satellites? A photo feature should be available to document the "LOOK ANGLE " complete with the satellite information overlay.

I see much potential for the app in replacing a sighting inclinometer/compass, providing documentation of LOS for installers and becoming a required install sign- off document.

Thank you for your development of these next generation installation tools. We look forward to future updates!

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
SatelliteAV: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The next update will have the overlay function.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
App is good ty, need elevation to move to get the elevation in the right place...
Elevation is fixed, it's not supposed to move. That's where the satellite is, in absolute terms.

You can take a picture by pressing the power and home button at the same time. The pic will then be in your camera roll.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
It's a completely new concept. The previous app required you to hold the iPhone exactly at the same angle as the satellite and would display that information to you ("you are now holding the phone at the same angle as the satellite and the satellite is right at the center of the screen").

Now, it doesn't matter at which angle you hold the iPhone as long as the satellite is visible on the display. You will see as you move and up the iPhone that the satellite dot always stays at the same spot on the live image ("There is the satellite, period"). That's the whole beauty of this app, it kinda gives you magic eyes, let's you see things which you couldn't see before.

Status

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)